What are you watching/reading?

Shinmaru

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished up a rewatch of the First season of Pokemon, mostly as an excersize in nostalgia and as an easy watch while taking care of house chores or whatnot. That said I forgot how much of a gutpunch the end of the Pokemon League was....I'm quite tempted of buy Orange Islands next. WHEN DOES THIS END!?!?

I've never watched an episode past Master Quest and that would not change. Probably wont grab Orange Islands for awhile anyhow. For as much of a cool nostalgia kick it was (and I'm seriously debating throwing in a Pokemon rifftrax panel for Ai-Kon next year) the only episodes that packed any emotional punch were the final two episodes, and of course, Bye Bye Butterfree. As I typically do these days I will wait for the dub release of AoT.

• 3 months later...

The Kids on the Slope: One episode in and it is fucking awesome. Picked it up at the Black Friday sale on Rightstuf mainly on the strong recommendation of the guy voicing the lead role (Chris Patton in this case) and the small promo blurb. It has a BECK vibe but with jazz instead of rock, none of the characters completely overlap so it's fresh, and the head staff on it are Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno, the animation and music directors (respectively) of Cowboy Bebop. Who does not see this as a good combination?

• 2 months later...

Kill la Kill: It's on both Hulu and Crunchyroll. Basically, the minds behind Gurren Lagann apply themselves to the school duel genre, and to fanservice. This show is one of the craziest things I've ever seen, and with the last five or so episodes it's only gotten crazier, because they revealed the endgame.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Sword Art Online: Despite both Hulu and Netflix suggesting the hell out of this series to me, I've ignored it for the last year, mainly since I looked at the premise and thought, ".hack did it." but, needing something to watch, I decided to start. I ended up mainlining the series over the last couple of days. It is very similar to .hack but I feel it does stand on it's own. The first 14 episodes are great. The rest of the series... it goes downhill, mainly since it develops a number of moments where I just yelled at the screen to stop. These are mainly since they're moments focused on the main female character who, for all the first half, I would say is one of the strongest female protagonists in Anime. Still, the series is worth checking out. There's a sequel series I might try out when I have the time.

The first 14 episodes are great. The rest of the series... it goes downhill, mainly since it develops a number of moments where I just yelled at the screen to stop.

This, yes, absolutely.

The first arc is great; the second arc is abominable (and borderline-offensive). The second season (they just retitled the show Sword Art Online II) has been pretty good, so yeah, definitely give that a watch.

Kill La Kill was terrific. If you can get past the recockulous character designs for Ryuko ans Satsuki when they're powered up, it's a fantastic show with great rewatchability.

I'm rewatching Ouran Host High Club for the purposes of a podcast, going with the English dub as opposed to the original Japanese when I first saw it two years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

The Big O : I am wondering how a giant robot anime managed to breed with Batman the Animated series to come up with this, but I am not complaining because this baby is beautiful.

I remember really enjoying Big O then being really disappointed with the ending. I might have to watch it back.

Space Dandy - I'm a huge fan of Cowboy BeBop so I was really hyped for this. 3 episodes in and I can certainly say they are pretty much NOTHING like each other. In fact SD is more like an art installation than a narrative at this point. I wonder if it'll change...

I watched a lot of anime last year including Kill la Kill, but the one that's currently still stuck in my brain 6 months later in Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched it for the mind-fuckery aspects, and MAAAANNN did I get it by the end. End of Evangelion is still haunting my dreams as of this day.

It stands in good testament to the strength of Evangelion that 20 years later, we're still talking about it. It also helps that the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy is just as strong so far. In a lot of ways, I prefer it to the original series if for no other reason than Rei actually has a personality and Shinji is slightly less indecisive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Never thought I'd ever post here, since anime's really not my thing. But yeah, I finished the original Neon Genesis Evangelion yesterday. Watched it with my cousins, who'd seen it first run. Really dug it. 

It took a while to get going, but when it picked up, it was just engaging as hell. The characters can be extremely grating(one of my cousins has some choice words to describe Shinji) but I never really hated them. And when we got their backstories...

The ending to the show didn't lose me, but then again I have the knowledge that there are two more movies so I know that the actual plot, as far as the Angels, was going to be resolved. (Somewhat, maybe, perhaps)