Top Ten Comic Book based films

I think the plane sequence was an homage to the Bruce Timm DCAU Pilot episode of Superman: TAS.

Actually, Superman saving the plane in S:TAS and Superman Returns was most likely an homage of John Byrne's Superman: The Man of Steel miniseries.

Cool, thanks for the knowledge. I still need to bone up on my Superman comic smarts. I just thought it was funny how Superman in both the Pilot and movie ripped the wings off of both planes.

• 10 years later...

MEGA-BUMP: This is an interesting thread to revisit!

In that this was all pre-Iron Man, and thus pre-MCU, it'd be interesting to get people's thoughts 10 years on, says I. And I'm a Super Admin or whatever.

NB) I won't contribute as it would spoil the return of Comic Reel-lief. And no-one wants that spoiled.

Some films in terms of how bad they are have gone up in recent years, at least to me. Dolph Lungren's Punisher is a great Punisher movie, and I'll brook no f'n argument on that. People have also been nicer to Constantine, Speed Racer (lol Ian) and even the initial F4 films of late.

Since my previous list was from January 2008, I'm going to make another listing only movies released between 2008 and now. Because Marvel has had such a foothold on the genre and industry since the release of Iron Man, this will be Marvel-heavy.

HM: The Avengers

10. Black Panther
9. Iron Man
8. Deadpool
7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Dredd
2. The Dark Knight
1. Logan

Following Mike's cue:

10. Punisher: War Zone
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
8. Iron Man 3
7. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
6. Man of Steel
5. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Black Panther
2. Logan
1. The Dark Knight

In no particular order:

1. Superman '78
  2. Captain America: The First Avenger
  3. Adventures of Captain Marvel
  4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  5. Thor: Ragnarok
  6. Spider-Man 2
  7. The Avengers
  8. Avengers: Infinity War
  9. Black Panther
  10. Batman '66

10. Guardians of the Galaxy 

9. Heavy Metal 

8. 30 Days of Night

7. Watchmen

6. Deadpool

5. Dredd

4. Danger: Diabolik

3. The Rocketeer

2. Logan

1. The Dark Knight

Runners-up in order of best to worst: Blade II, Cemetery Man, Thor: Ragnarok, Punisher: War Zone, The Amazing Screw-On Head, Hellboy, Road to Perdition, Wonder Woman & The Winter Soldier

edit: this is my new list, but there's probably enough in the runner-s up to fill in from 2008 forward.

1. Spider-Man/The Amazing Spider-Man
  2. The Wolverine
  3. Captain America: The First Avenger
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Iron Man
  6. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
  7. Dredd
  8. Black Panther
  9. X-Men First Class
  10. Daredevil

Probably not a list anybody who didn't spend their formative movie-watching years in the 2010s would make. 😉

11 hours ago, slothian said:

As far as I'm concerned, Thor Ragnarok should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

#lacesup

🤣

My big problem with it is that it was way too jocular in light of catastrophic destruction and loss of life. It was a very entertaining movie but the joking around while Asgard is annihilated and after who knows how many people were brutally murdered really takes you out of the movie.

On 8/27/2018 at 6:08 AM, S-T said:

🤣

My big problem with it is that it was way too jocular in light of catastrophic destruction and loss of life. It was a very entertaining movie but the joking around while Asgard is annihilated and after who knows how many people were brutally murdered really takes you out of the movie.

Pretty much this. On paper there's a ton of tragedy that occurs throughout the movie, but Taika Watiti is too busy being glib and wacky that it really doesn't resonate at all. And it comes off as too similar to the Guardians movies IMO. It throws out the identity of the first two Thor films in favor of one that's not really there. 

The first act is really fun though. Everything up to Thor's arrival on Sakaar (except the lame chain joke at the beginning) I really like.

In no particular order:

X-Men 2

Justice League (2017)

Spider-Man 2

Blade

Avengers (2012)

Captain America: Civil War

Justice League: New Frontier

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Watchmen

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths