Nightmare on Elm Street remake

Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form have been set by New Line to re-launch Freddy Krueger, the iconic psycho who haunts the subconscious dreams of teenagers and kills them in their sleep.

The trio will create a new franchise based on A Nightmare on Elm Street, the 1984 Wes Craven film.

Originally played by Robert Englund, Krueger haunted nine films and two TV series, and was New Line's most lucrative franchise until "The Lord of the Rings."

The deal comes as Bay, Fuller and Form ready for an April start for Friday the 13th, a New Line re-launch of another iconic baddie, Jason Voorhees. Marcus Nispel will direct a script by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift ("Freddy Vs. Jason").

Variety erroneously states Cloverfield's Odette Yustman will star in "Friday." We have confirmed the actress is instead appearing in the David Goyer untitled supernatural project produced by Platinum.

New Line won't hire a writer on "Nightmare" until the writer's strike ends.

http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=4423

Anybody else find it funny that the Nightmare on Elm Street movies were New Line's most lucrative movies until the Lord of the Rings movies? I forgot that there was a time when New Line was considered a small time operation.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles US$135,265,915 Worldwide$202,000,000

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze US$78,656,813

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III US$42,273,609

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/T...injaTurtles.php

The reason the Elm street movies were so lucrative was their budgets.

All of them put together made $330,288,328 and only cost $58,800,000 to make.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/N...OnElmstreet.php

If you look at the numbers the Turtles movies were better in terms of making money.

It won't be anywhere near as cool as the possibilities present (and what I presented in my Moronic Iconic article for Freddy). It will be watered down flashy, ADHD edited tripe from a music video director and a producer who has leprosy as far as I'm concerned. If he's touching it, I stay the fuck away.

Fuck Michael Bay.

How much did the Ninja Turtles movies gross? I have to think they were pretty successful.

The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the highest grossing independent film of all time until a few years ago i think.

On the topic of Freddy, nothing will ever top New Nightmare so why bother making anymore.

Actually New Line built it's studio from Freddy Krueger, that's why it's called "The House That Freddy Built"

Yeah, but I'm old enough to remember it before it was called that.

Ha! Me too brother.

I remember seeing the NL Cinema logo pop up and getting scared. They were edgy for 30 years and then the nineties stuff rolled around...

edit: infact they were around for twenty years before the third Nightmare film came out.

Yeah me too...They owe alot to the "Son Of A Hundred Maniacs"

But in my opinion, I don't know what to think about a remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street. I mean, remaking Friday the 13th is one thing, there hasn't really been a definitive actor to portray Jason Voorhees except Kane Hodder, but Robert England IS Freddy Krueger. It's like with the remake of Hellraiser, Doug Bradley says he wants to do the remake, but is waiting for them to call. Doug Bradley IS Pinhead, so I hope they get him back.

Platinum Dunes and New Line rocked the horror world last week when the production entities announced they were working together to overhaul the "Nightmare on Elm Street" brand. A number of industry sources recently phoned in to shed some light on the early discussions going on behind-the-scenes regarding "Nightmare"...and none of them include Englund starring as Krueger.

The franchise facelift includes discovering a new actor to polish up the finger knives and play the iconographic dream role Englund has practically made his second skin since '84.

Disheartening news for the fans, maybe, but rumor has it Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes is taking "Nightmare" back to square one...as in fresh start, hitting the reset button, making it their own (think "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" '03 and Friday the 13th '09). Because of this decision, they'd like to find another actor to carry the new Krueger into future films.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=4483

• 2 weeks later...