Nightmare on Elm Street remake

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something about it that makes him look a lot less human than Robert Englund's Freddy looked. I also like the asymmetry to the eyes. The glove on the other hand, I don't completely care for. There's just something to it, like it looks a little too well done. The original glove looked like something a person with a fair bit of spare time could do. This one, I'm trying to tell if it's supposed to be leather or bronze?

• 1 month later...

Don't think this needs it's own thread, as it's coming out, most likely to coincide with the new film.

Whatever you do, don't fall asleep watching Blu-rays in April.

Warner Brothers has slated Wes Craven's 'A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)' for high-definition treatment on April 6.

Specs have yet to be revealed, but supplements will include: Audio commentary with Director Wes Craven, co-stars Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon, and cinematographer Jacques Haitkin; Audio commentary with Wes Craven, co-stars Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp and Ronee Blakley, producer Robert Shaye and co-producer Sara Risher; Alternate endings; The House That Freddy Built: The Legacy of New Line Horror; Never Sleep Again: The Making of A Nightmare on Elm Street; and Night Terrors: The Origins of Wes Craven's Nightmares.

Exclusive to the Blu-ray will be Ready Freddy Focus Points - revealing filmmaking secrets and alternate takes through video highlights during the film.

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is still undetermined at this time.

You can find the latest specs for 'A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under April 6.

See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.

Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) (Blu-ray)

Source

When I was told about this, I was hoping it would be the whole series, I'm still not going to HD yet, so will get this when I get the new film when that comes out.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a disappointment. The movie had no style or substance, nor are we given a reason to care about the characters. All we know about them is that they're suffering from nightmares, and that they're classmates / sort of friends.

The movie rambles from one scene to the next, never bothering to take the time to slow down to establish the world.

Director Samuel Bayer makes a huge rookie mistake, in that Nancy doesn't become the lead until 30 minutes in. And that's not a joke. Some random blonde girl and John Connor bore us until it's time for them to die, then Nancy and her would-be boyfriend take center stage. Then they bore us until it's time for the movie to end.

Some of the digital effects are eye-catching, such as when reality merges into the dreamscape, but if you've seen the trailers you've seen the effects.

Worst of all, Jackie Earle Haley has no presence as Freddy. Whenever he shows up, he's just another actor. Never does he come across as an unstoppable force or even the center of attention. Sadly, he's just there to make a dark, perverted joke before killing someone.

If I can give the movie anything, it's that Freddy's plan is sick:

Nancy was always his "favorite" victim, and he wanted her to remember what he had done to her as a child so her fear would fuel him. Then, after several days of not sleeping, she'd slip into a coma, where he could rape her for the rest of her life.

Other notes:

- Quentin isn't a podcaster, as reported. He's just an awkward guy.

- No one has sex. In fact, there's only one short kiss.

- All of the parents seem to be single. Though not important or mentioned, it does seem odd.

- At times it's hard to tell if it's trying to be funny, or if the laughs are unintentional.

Director Samuel Bayer makes a huge rookie mistake, in that Nancy doesn't become the lead until 30 minutes in. And that's not a joke. Some random blonde girl and John Connor bore us until it's time for them to die, then Nancy and her would-be boyfriend take center stage. Then they bore us until it's time for the movie to end.

That was the one thing I hated about the script. Nancy was a background character until the blonde, which the movie spent a lot of time establishing all the sudden dies.

Did they keep the stuff about Nancy doubting whether Freddie actually was a molester? I know it was to keep her as a sympathetic character, but it read more as a plot device to get them all conveniently back to the school where it all happened.

Freddy's guilt or innocence is a big part of the movie, as it drives the characters forward...

but his ultimate guilt is never in question. I mean, he makes several crude comments throughout, revealing his true past. Had the filmmakers altered things so that he was innocent and was now seeking revenge for his murder, that would have been a wonderful twist.