The Music Thread

If Bob Mould heard you call Nevermind something new he'd punch you in the nose :)

No, you're right. Nevermind was something new on MTV and commercial radio, although Husker Du and the Melvins (and plenty of others) had been around longer; just without the same kind of exposure. Nirvana was just the band that happened to break through All props should go to who came before.

It was a damn solid album.

You're all wrong, though Hootie and the Blowfish were what really marked the rise of the alternative scene.

Ow!

Wrong. We all know Ace of Base were the foundation.

They saw the sign, man, and it opened all of our eyes.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me Dirt over Nevermind ANY DAY of the week. Dirt was darker, heavier, and had better lyrics pretty much all around than Nevermind.

But nevermind was more mainsream which was what got its air time on MTV. Nevermind is a solid album but is it than Superunknown, Ten or Dirt? No. However Nevermind had Smells like Teen Spirit which caught Lighting in a bottle and the rest is history.

Its kinda sad when you see all the kids today(God I feel old saying that) go around wearing their Nirvana hoodies and T-shirts and thats their knowledge of grunge. They might know Black Hole Sun or Alive and thats it.

If Bob Mould heard you call Nevermind something new he'd punch you in the nose :)

No, you're right. Nevermind was something new on MTV and commercial radio, although Husker Du and the Melvins (and plenty of others) had been around longer; just without the same kind of exposure. Nirvana was just the band that happened to break through All props should go to who came before.

It was a damn solid album.

You're all wrong, though Hootie and the Blowfish were what really marked the rise of the alternative scene.

Ow!

Wrong. We all know Ace of Base were the foundation.

They saw the sign, man, and it opened all of our eyes.

No joke...the brunette in Ace of Base was a fascination of mine. All that I wanted, was to have her baby, she's gone tomorrow.

I've been listening to a bit of Emigrate lately.

It's a band fronted by the guitar player in Rammstein. The lyrics are in English and it has that freaking awesome Rammstein guitar sound. Rammstein without all the fascist implications.

Fascist? The lead singer of Rammstein is a hardcore leftist. (Using American definitions of left and right, anyway.)

Rammstein's music is awesome, though.

Man, the Euro-Metal talk in this thread makes me feel all warm inside.

Anyway, I'm on a major doom metal kick right now. Type O Negative, My Dying Bride, and Anathema.

I've been delving into albums by Elvenking, Turisas, and Electric Wizard too, with varying results.

Give me Dirt over Nevermind ANY DAY of the week. Dirt was darker, heavier, and had better lyrics pretty much all around than Nevermind.

But nevermind was more mainsream which was what got its air time on MTV. Nevermind is a solid album but is it than Superunknown, Ten or Dirt? No. However Nevermind had Smells like Teen Spirit which caught Lighting in a bottle and the rest is history.

Its kinda sad when you see all the kids today(God I feel old saying that) go around wearing their Nirvana hoodies and T-shirts and thats their knowledge of grunge. They might know Black Hole Sun or Alive and thats it.

theres a hell of a lot of people who say they like Nirvana but they just know Smells Like Teen Spirit and Heart Shaped Box. Why, Because Smells like Teen Spirit is everywhere and Heart Shaped Box is on Guitar Hero 2. The Same Goes for Metallica My Chemical Romance and HIM. People claim they like Metallica but they don't they just like One. They don't know shit about Metallica. And for MCR People just like ever since Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge retarded fangirls came and ruined MCR, but most of them don't know about I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love. For HIM people like the Heartagram and not the music. People think the Heartagram was made by Bam Margera but, it was made by Ville Valo. and its not metal or emo its Love Metal!

Sadly, Luke and I are probably the only big HIM fans in here.

"Big" is a subjective term but I thought Love Metal was one of the best albums of 02 (or 03?) and they are one of the greatest live bands I have ever seen (out of something like 700 bands). Fucking great live band.

I love HIM. But, I have a confession I prefer Uneasy Listening Vol. 1 better than Love Metal and Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666 combined. It has an acoustic version of The Funeral of Hearts and Please Don't Let It Go ( I have a thing for acoustic guitars)

And Dread I have a bone to pick with you. First you see Alexisonfire, then you solid gold guitar shaped pool filled with whiskey (even though I'm not old enough to drink), you live in Canada which is a way better place than America, And you saw HIM live.

Bastard

"Big" is a subjective term but I thought Love Metal was one of the best albums of 02 (or 03?) and they are one of the greatest live bands I have ever seen (out of something like 700 bands). Fucking great live band.

I love HIM. But, I have a confession I prefer Uneasy Listening Vol. 1 better than Love Metal and Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666 combined. It has an acoustic version of The Funeral of Hearts and Please Don't Let It Go ( I have a thing for acoustic guitars)

And Dread I have a bone to pick with you. First you see Alexisonfire, then you solid gold guitar shaped pool filled with whiskey (even though I'm not old enough to drink), you live in Canada which is a way better place than America, And you saw HIM live.

Bastard

Correction: I saw HIM live in Edinburgh, Scotland. And yes, I am a bastard.

Muhahahaha

Bastard

Correction: I saw HIM live in Edinburgh, Scotland. And yes, I am a bastard.

Muhahahaha

Wait, wait, wait. Since when is Iglooland better than the United States?

banned.gif

I Hate you Desmond RedDICK

and for james they have maple syrup and universal health care and awesome dollars with fingernails(sorry i was watched Juno on Friday)

Universal healthcare is a massive failure almost across the board. I'm not really interested in debating it in the music thread, though.

Back to music:

Metallica - S&M

My favorite album EVAR. (As you all should well know by now.) :happy:

you were going to debate with a 13 year old?

But lately despite my Metalheadyness I've been listening to the new Jack Johnson album