Kick-Ass

Missy

That Watchmen/The Twelve comment made me snort so hard my face hurts.

No. Where. Near. It.

I see what Mal is saying though. I too think that the bulk of Millar's good major publisher work was at DC. Swamp Thing was great and Aztek blew socks off me. Red Son is the best Superman ever written, I'm still not sold on the best Superman story ever written.

CW was not as good as most say it is. Ultimates, however, is the shite. If Loeb had any sense, he'd try and copy what Millar was doing because that was brilliance.

Authority is still his best work over all. And the Unfunnies...

That Watchmen/The Twelve comment made me snort so hard my face hurts.

No. Where. Near. It.

[backpedal]

Okay, this is the portion of our program where I begin to realize that thinking something, even thinking it really hard, does not necessarily mean that it winds up on the page.

No, The Twelve is not as good as Watchmen. I realize that's what I said, but stop paying attention to what I say. Just stop it. :blush:

I do think that it has the potential to be the big, timeless, classic story that Marvel's been forever unable to come up with, assuming that the rest of the series builds. Think about it; 1984-6 gave us Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Dark Knight, (very, very argubly) Crisis, and... well... Secret Wars. One of these things is not like the others, kids. Marvel seriously missed the boat at a time when creativity and innovation were exploding in the comics field. Maybe I'm just pulling for them, but Marvel needs this. And when I read this, I see potential that I don't often see at Marvel. We're only three issues in, and it has plenty of time to derail completely, and it also has time to take off. I'm really looking forward to following this. So when I say "the next Watchmen", what I mean to say is the next major classic storyline. (Oh, God, no, I'm not putting JMS on the same level as Alan Moore.)

[/backpedal]

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Finally read Kick-Ass.

I thought it was in a word: excellent.

Funny, brutal, realistic and charming. That is, by the way, the best JRJr's art has looked in ages. After seeing Planet Hulk I'd thought he lost it but it's good to see him churning stuff this nice out.

Millar is up and down for me but this is the best stuff he's done since Ultimates.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the 2nd issue, my favourite part was were he realised that how much of a burden he placed on his dad, then burns all his comics and yet he still goes out again on patrol. Dave is startng to feel lke a real person.

Millar is going a great job in developing the character

• 1 month later...

Yeah, just read it and once again totally loved it. I never know what's next with this series, and that's a lot of what's so enthralling about it. Where the hell can they go from here...?!

I also love that the protagonist routinely gets his ass kicked. Like, in every single fight. Maybe his name has a double meaning? :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I think a film of this would be a very bad idea, dont get me wrong I enjoy the book alot but its a wonder people havent complained about it yet. The last thing I would have imagined happen would be a movie which would encourage kids to go out and do things like he has to get on the internet/tv, that might be going to far but its usually what happens with certain groups in the media