Spider-Man 3 thread

Missy

It took about two hours for the video to appear on my comp last night. I tried to get it up as soon as they announced it after the short preview on Heroes. I was in bed talking on the phone with my girlfriend when I heard a sound. She was promptly put on hold for 8 minutes.

Do you have an HD monitor? Becasue I don't and basically the ame thing happend for me.

It was extremely entertaining, a very well designed action sequence. My mind is really just boggled about how they are going to fit Harry, Sandman, and Venom (much less symbiote spider-man) all in one piece.

My best guess is that Venom will appear only in the tail end of the film to set up #4.

note: Yeah I know that Tobey said that this would be his last film, but as I recall X2 was supposed to be Halle Berry's last X-film, So, I take it with a grain of salt.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like brock/venom will be a more (even if only slightly) than just the very end of the movie. The trailer I saw in 300 showed what looked to be a fight scene between venom and spidey.

While the church scene in the trailer was cool, Topher just isn't third-billy-goat-gruff enough for the role of brock.

• 1 month later...
Sam Raimi Confirms Spidey 4, 5 and 6!

Source: Heather Newgen

April 20, 2007

At the Los Angeles press junket today, Spider-Man 3 director Sam Raimi confirmed that Sony Pictures is doing a 4th, 5th and 6th installment of the popular franchise.

We'll have his exact words shortly, but Raimi said that he hasn't had time to think of any involvement and he doesn't want to presume Sony would want him to direct.

He said there has to be a good story to tell and that "it'd be very hard to say goodbye to 'Spider Man.'"

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5536

Reviews are coming in for Spider-Man 3, and they are all over the place.

Beware*****Serious Spoilers Ahead, Including the Ending****

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32368

Venom is killed after only 10 minutes of screen time.

WTF?

Peter has a dance number to show he's a badass

. Double WTF?

Venom's voice is just Topher's normal voice.

Oh Come on!

• 2 weeks later...

Copied and pasted from the Oratory because... well, they're my opinions of the film. :)

My opinion is that I really hope they don't make another. The first two were so good that it was hard to go into this one without some weighty expectations, and it didn't even come close to reaching them. It wasn't a bad movie at all, and had dozens of strong redeeming factors, but it wasn't a good one either and a lot of the comedic moments were really forced and borderline unwatchable. Probably the only light scenes I laughed at were with Bruce Campbell and his french wait staff, constantly parading out the champagne, only to be shooed back behind the curtains again... and that was being balanced with the emotion of the Peter / MJ fight.

I hated how insanely cheesy the "evil Pete" scenes were. If I could cut that whole fifteen minutes out of the film, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. I hated the gooey, touchy-feely half hour of happiness and joy that opened the film, too. I realize that they wanted to establish how happy he was so the later fall would have more emotional impact, but this crap was way, way over the top. I must have rolled my eyes about a dozen times. Again, pull that half hour out and I enjoy the movie more. I loved the Sandman, from the acting to the effects to the backstory, but he felt like a sideshow in the grand scheme of things and didn't even get a proper send-off. He floats through the sky and all is right with the world? Right. I thought the Goblin face turn was poorly done and hurried - OK, now he knows Spidey didn't kill his dad. What about, I don't know, the GIANT DISFIGURING SCAR Pete gave him days before? I'd be doubly pissed.

And, I swear to god, if I saw one more tremblin' lip and sobby eye, I was ready to puke. The last ten minutes were like watching a chick flick about cancer or something, and I couldn't have given less of a fuck. The first two films treated the source material with honor and respect, and they were outstanding movies. This one treated them like kiddie material, and felt like it came from an entirely different director / writer.

It had its moments, but they were scattered and on the whole I was disappointed. At least they gave Venom the awesome giant spider icon on his chest, for all of the three minutes we got to see it.

Why did Brock's teeth change even when he wasn't wearing the suit? Did the symbiote make him a vampire? Fuck, this movie was stupid sometimes...

Sandman saved that movie. He was exactly what he should have been. Well, him and J.J.

Did anyone notice that when Spider-Man saved Gwen on the building that he just left the crane going crazy on the roof?

Anyways:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -- "Spider-Man 3" sold a record $59 million worth of tickets during its first day of release across North America, and is on track to break the industry mark for an opening weekend, according to estimates issued Saturday by the film's distributor.

The highly anticipated superhero saga opened in the United States and Canada Friday, having already begun its international campaign May 1.

The North American one-day and opening-weekend records were held by Walt Disney Co.'s July 2006 smash "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," with respective sums of $55.8 million and $135.6 million.

"Based on the first day's performance, the studio believes the film will deliver in the range of $135 million to $145 million in North America for its first three days of release," Columbia Pictures said in a statement.

The Sony Corp. (Charts) -owned studio will issue three-day estimates early Sunday.

They killed Spider-Man.

The whole reason for Spider-man to exist is the guilt over not stopping the criminal who would go on to kill his uncle. Now every time Peter Parker stops a criminal, he is saving his uncle.

By making the killer someone else, S-M 3 eliminates the motive for Parker to be Spider-Man. Even if he had been responsible, Uncle Ben still would have taken a dirt nap.

It was dumb.

Now, don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. As a huge Venom mark I was thrilled to see him in it. It was definitely the weakest of the three, though.

I give it a B.

For perspective, 1 gets a B+ and 2 gets an A

The guilt is still there. If you recall, May said the first step towards healing is forgiving yourself. Despite his aunt's wise words, Peter will never forgive himself. No matter if the killer was "the burglar" or Sandman or a space alien, Peter didn't do the right thing and that led to Ben's death.

And even though the killing has been revealed to be an accident, it's still Peter's fault (in his mind). Had he stopped the crook from entering the elevator (in the first film), he wouldn't have run into the street and spooked Flint, who wouldn't have accidentally shot Ben.

It changes the mythos, but I don't think it "kills" Spider-Man's motivation.

The change to Sandman killing uncle Ben didn't make sense because there were lots of people on the street when Ben was shot that would have seen that there were two people involved. Apparently in the Marvel movie universe the police have zero detective skills and don't talk to witnesses. A man gets blamed for shooting a guy while his hands are full with bank bags? There was just too many things put into the movie that didn't need to be there.

Sandman should have been in Harry's place at the end and redeemed himself by helping Spider-Man. He was just robbing for the money to help his kid. He isn't evil, and that didn't come off very good in the movie. They should have had him turn himself in at the end instead of Spider-Man letting him go, which was out of character for him.

I had a huge problem with MJ in this movie. To put it plainly, she was a jealous bitch. When she told Peter that "this wasn't about him" when he was trying to help her understand people not liking her, I really thought that they ruined the character. She never told him that she was fired from the play, but she said he wasn't there for her when she needed him? We were supposed to feel sorry for her, and I ended up resenting her.

The change to Sandman killing uncle Ben didn't make sense because there were lots of people on the street when Ben was shot that would have seen that there were two people involved. Apparently in the Marvel movie universe the police have zero detective skills and don't talk to witnesses. A man gets blamed for shooting a guy while his hands are full with bank bags? There was just too many things put into the movie that didn't need to be there.

Oh, I agree; I'm just saying Peter's guilt will remain.

Sandman should have been in Harry's place at the end and redeemed himself by helping Spider-Man. He was just robbing for the money to help his kid. He isn't evil, and that didn't come off very good in the movie. They should have had him turn himself in at the end instead of Spider-Man letting him go, which was out of character for him.

I think we're to assume Flint will see his daughter one more time before heading back to jail. There's nothing to back this up, but it's the feeling I got from the scene.

I had a huge problem with MJ in this movie. To put it plainly, she was a jealous bitch. When she told Peter that "this wasn't about him" when he was trying to help her understand people not liking her, I really thought that they ruined the character. She never told him that she was fired from the play, but she said he wasn't there for her when she needed him? We were supposed to feel sorry for her, and I ended up resenting her.

THANK YOU~! Ugh! I hate MJ in these films. Peter was doing everything he could to help her, but she wasn't communicating with him... yet she blames him for not being there!

No matter if the killer was "the burglar" or Sandman or a space alien, Peter didn't do the right thing and that led to Ben's death.

But Uncle Ben might have taken a dirt nap even if Peter had stopped the thug.

Ugh! I hate MJ in these films.

The best MJ scene was her standing in the rain in the first one.

:D

No matter if the killer was "the burglar" or Sandman or a space alien, Peter didn't do the right thing and that led to Ben's death.

But Uncle Ben might have taken a dirt nap even if Peter had stopped the thug.

Nope. Had Peter stopped the crook, the police would have taken him away before he could have jostled Flint, causing the accidental death of Ben.

Flint was going to walk away. He said as much to Peter. Peter not stopping the other guy led to him being on the street and the gun going off.

I thought the Goblin face turn was poorly done and hurried - OK, now he knows Spidey didn't kill his dad. What about, I don't know, the GIANT DISFIGURING SCAR Pete gave him days before?

Yep. While it is understandable that Harry would want to save Mary Jane, his forgiveness of Spider-Man was too quick. While Peter did not kill Norman Osborn, he did try to kill Harry for no other reason than vindictiveness. The final battle would have worked much better had Harry swooped in to fight Venom and Sandman without renewing his friendship with Peter.

There are other problems. Having Peter kiss Gwen Stacy right in front of Mary Jane (and all of New York City) at a public ceremony was silly. Peter should have more common sense than that. In addition, Eddie Brock's descent into madness should have been slower and more believable.

In the end, there were too many characters and not enough time to delve deeply into all of the sub-plots, even with 2 and a half hours. This should have been split into two 2-hour movies.

A few random questions and/or observations:

1. Why did Harry have a scar that looked years old and healed from an injury only days old? A healing factor was never told as a power Goblin had was it?

2. Speaking of fast healing, Spidey was stabbed in the stomach, and never acted hurt after that initial shot of him screaming.

3. Why was the spider sense not used in this movie? Filmmakers love to use slow motion shots like in the first one. Peter should have known Harry was coming at the beginning of the movie. I could understand it not working with Venom, but it wasn't used in the whole movie.

1. Why did Harry have a scar that looked years old and healed from an injury only days old? A healing factor was never told as a power Goblin had was it?

Before MJ and Harry kissed, she noted that the wound on his head (from his "accident") had healed without scarring. So it was subtly implied he had a healing factor. However, he wound up looking like Two-Face because the blast was so much worse; it began to heal quickly because of his healing factor, hence the reason it wasn't red and puffy, but it didn't have enough time to fully heal.

2. Speaking of fast healing, Spidey was stabbed in the stomach, and never acted hurt after that initial shot of him screaming.

Spider-Man has accelerated healing. Sure, it's nothing like Wolverine's, but he heals quickly. I mean, think about all of the beatings he's taken (the initial fight with Harry, for example), yet he has few (if any) scars.

3. Why was the spider sense not used in this movie? Filmmakers love to use slow motion shots like in the first one. Peter should have known Harry was coming at the beginning of the movie. I could understand it not working with Venom, but it wasn't used in the whole movie.

I was thinking the same thing!

Here's one, and I'm going strictly off of watching Spiderman: TAS (Fox 90s version) for this.

Why did the symbiote become a new black suit? Isn't the symbiote supposed to bond with Peter the same way it does with Eddie later on? And as such isn't he supposed tho be able to retract and "put on" the suit at will? Just a question.

Yes, in the comic Peter can retract the black costume at will. Meaning, if he wants to reveal his face or hands, the suit will pull back on its own. So then why couldn't (didn't) he do this in the movie when Eddie could? That's simple: everyone uses powers differently.

For example, the Hulk is able to make mile-long leaps due to his strong legs. But Colossus, who also has very strong legs, doesn't. Why? Because he's never attempted to use his powers in such a manner. The same can be said about Peter not retracting the costume in the movie -- he simply never tried.

Eddie having a different costume is also easy enough to explain. The message Spider-Man 3 was trying to get across was that we can't let our inner demons take hold. For a little while Peter allowed his anger and hatred and guilt boil on the surface. But he regained control of his life; he saw that a man cannot live a happy life if he's entangled in his own bitterness. Now Eddie, who was consumed by rage and revenge and thoughts of murder, didn't learn this lesson. Nor will he ever.

Peter is a good man who briefly gave up on hope and love, hence the black version of his old red and blue costume. Eddie is the type of guy who'll stab you in the back while smiling in your face. He's also delusional: Gwen wasn't his girlfriend; they simply went on a date or two. Couple that with his hatred for Parker, and you wind up with his deformed costume and fangs.

I'm surprised you haven’t mentioned the flashback scene during the fight between Venom and Spiderman Yoda. Along with posing in front of the U.S flag, it felt really out of place and unnecessary.

Also, I didn’t mind Peter’s evil sequence. It kind of showed that even with the symbiote suit putting Peter into full-on dick mode, Peter is still a complete nerd.

I'm surprised you haven’t mentioned the flashback scene during the fight between Venom and Spiderman Yoda. Along with posing in front of the U.S flag, it felt really out of place and unnecessary.

Also, I didn’t mind Peter’s evil sequence. It kind of showed that even with the symbiote suit putting Peter into full-on dick mode, Peter is still a complete nerd.

They did the flag thing in the first one, and was overly patriotic in the second one also. And yes, Toby(not Peter) couldn't be cool if he tried.

I'm surprised you haven’t mentioned the flashback scene during the fight between Venom and Spiderman Yoda.

You mean when Peter realized loud noises made the costume weak? Yeah, that was irksome.

I especially liked the way all of the woman rolled their eyes at him. That was such a funny scene!

So many things about this movie annoyed me. Mary Jane would be at the top of the list. Emo Parker is close behind. Sandman just flying away into the sunrise after all he did is another. Maybe I'll write a review of it for the mainpage. The fight scenes were phenomenal, though, and they pretty much saved the movie, in my opinion.

I'll preface this with an apology that I may repeat things that have been gone over ad nauseam but I've stayed away from this thread out of spoiler phobia. Forgive me.

I'll go over the characters...

Spiderman: I've said elsewhere that I'm not a SM fan and I am definitely not a Tobey Maguire fan. That said, I thought that the first two SM films are among the best superhero movies ever made. This one not so much. I think Maguire is phoning in his Parker performance and hams it up beyond all reason as Dark Parker. Emo Spidey? Didn't mind the hairdo. But the 7 minutes of a fucking Travolta impression. Dumb. They should have removed that from the film entirely and saved me a few bucks on the babysitter. If they make another SM film I hope Maguire is done. I'm ready for about everyone else. I love the web-bullets though.

Mary Jane: When will Dunst realize that she is a piss-poor actress with an agent who walks on water?

Harry Osborn: Meh. I don't mind him. I didn't really like him in the first two and from the trailers I was ready to hate the Xtreme Goblin thing. But I have to say I liked him more in this movie than in the first two. The "attack his heart" thing seemed a little rushed. Did Willem dafoe go uncredited?

Sandman: Coolest looking villain to date even with the goofy sweater. I'm pissed as all hell about the Uncle Ben angle. Why does every villain need to have killed a hero's family member in the movies? It would have been great if he was just a guy Spidey put in jail. I hate the overuse of a villain's redemption and this film had 2.5 of that.

Venom: I didn't think they'd pull off Venom's look and they didn't perfect it but they got as close as I was ready to accept it. Looked sinister and stringy which is better than his early appearances in the comics. What I hated was that they didn't distort Topher Grace's voice. I liked him as Brock which surprised me as well but every time he was Venom and spoke I kept wanting Red Forman to come out and call him a dumbass. WAS I HALLUCINATING OR DID BROCK GO INTO THE CHURCH, ADDRESS JESUS AS "SIR" AND THEN ASK HIM TO KILL SOMEBODY?. Whoever wrote that line is either brilliant or retarded.

Gwen Stacy: No problems over here. Bryce Dallas Howard could give me the key to the city any day! Dad must have married a hottie because she looks nothing like old Opie.

Overall I thought there was a little too much slapstick and rushed writing with quick easy answers and cliches for me. The action was fantastic, except for the opening battle between Parker and Goblin which I thought looked a little too much like Quidditch in the first Harry Potter movie, and exciting.

Edit: Oh yeah. JK Simmons, as usual was the best part of any thing I see him in. Guy was made to play Jameson.

If I have to hear Aunt May deliver another speech to Peter that makes more sense if she knows he's Spidey again I'll jump in front of a logging truck.

That is all.