Did I just hear that?

Missy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get off of work and get into my car, which has the radio tuned to sports talk radio. And they first thing that I hear?

"You know what, Kelly Kapowski was kinda a whore."

I rewatched some Saved by the Bell this evening, and I gotta say, I think Kelly was kinda a terrible person. Whore? No but more than a little vapid.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were eating lunch at a local Chinese Buffet when I heard this girl start talking about the fanfic she wrote where the Doctor is the Easter Bunny and how it makes sense since he doesn't have to regenerate into a human and Christmas doesn't agree with him and we never see the Doctor at Easter. It takes every iota of will not to crack up as she starts talking about Captain Jack having a thing for rabbits.

• 2 months later...

This is actually a facebook post by a friend of mine. He posted this link to this- 22 Unbelievable Places that actually exist http://www.boredpanda.com/amazing-places/

Which is great, some of those pics are amazing. His comment was "Wow, God is so creative". I come at a comment like that with cynicism anyway since I'm not religious, but even without that context "God is so creative" seems oxymoronic. He's supposed to be the creator! It's like saying "those carbon-based lifeforms sure can breathe that air!"

Of course the second thing wrong with that is a little more obvious. Over half these places are man-made, with flowers grown as crops or gardens created to look that way. You can say "god is so creative" when you're looking at natural rock formations or stuff like that, less so when saying how amazing those tulip fields are. God did not arrange them in colourful stripes.

All this without accessing my deeper arguments against the logic behind believing in a benevolent creator who apparently made shit just so tourists could say "wow". The backslapping conversation that followed between him and another girl who is similarly religious was REALLY hard not to spoil. "Yay, god made all this to show us he's really there" etc.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother, on electronic baby registries:

"You have to reprint it every time you come into the store!"
"Well, yeah."
"But in the age of electronics, why would you have to reprint it?"
"Grandma, how would your magic sheet of paper hook up to the registry?"
"...."

Ew. Last time I read a Dan Brown novel (also the first) I was spending the day stuck in a hotel room evacuating myself in all directions. As sick as I was, those short dashes to the bathroom became blessed relief from a world of implausible conspiracies and tell-don't-show writing.

• 1 month later...