Smallville

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, considering that...

-Clark is still shown as pathetic, moping about the SRA not going to get repealed and his mother fighting his battles for him.

-Martha and Chloe talk about watching over Clark, when we're in season 10.

-The supervillain cliche of the Lex clone having his kryptonite gun pointed right at Clark and not pulling the trigger.

-All of those videos showing support for Clark, when Clark is the least heroic of the heroes on the show.

-More of the will Tess kill the Lex clone/won't she, which was decided for her by the Lex clone being Connor Kent, despite him not being affected by kryptonite.

The only reason it was worth watching was John Glover. From his supervillain chair reveal to him screwing with Oliver and Martha, he saved the episode from being awful.

-Clark is still shown as pathetic, moping about the SRA not going to get repealed and his mother fighting his battles for him.

True. This was the one major thing that bothered me about it. Still, it was sort of to be expected, so it didn't bring the episode down much for me.

-Martha and Chloe talk about watching over Clark, when we're in season 10.

Didn't bother me. I mean, Lois is always "watching over him" in the comics, in the sense that she's there for him when he needs her. Same goes for the Kents.

-The supervillain cliche of the Lex clone having his kryptonite gun pointed right at Clark and not pulling the trigger.

Didn't bother me.

-All of those videos showing support for Clark, when Clark is the least heroic of the heroes on the show.

Completely not true. While he might bitch and whine to the TV audience about his life, he's still out there constantly saving thousands of people in Metropolis. This episode definitely illustrated that with the point that he's content to just save people in secret at the beginning, but by the end he's chosen to reveal himself (in another few episodes, of course, and after people have had time to see his glasses-covered C.K. guise).

-More of the will Tess kill the Lex clone/won't she, which was decided for her by the Lex clone being Connor Kent, despite him not being affected by kryptonite.

I dunno about him being Connor. It'll probably end up being a similar concept, but I doubt he'll actually be named Connor Kent or Superboy.

Not to say that any of the above complaints aren't true, but they just didn't bother me. I really enjoyed this episode a LOT. I'm with Shaun; this was one of the best episodes of Smallville in a long, long time. Definitely up there in the top twenty for the series as a whole. John Glover was (as always) perfectly evil as Lionel, and young "Alexander" is so much like Rosenbaum that it's borderline-freaky. I'm not at all a fan of the Lex cloning subplot, but this episode dealt with it exceptionally well.

This was also the first episode that actually made the VRA thing work without feeling completely contrived. That montage of webcam video messages, cheesy as some might call it, was definitely in line with the way that true Superman fans view the character. Very, very cool moment, and probably one of the minor defining "Superman moments" of the show thus far.

Loved it overall. Not that it was perfect, but it was definitely one of the more captivating and well-done episodes in the last few years.

Completely not true. While he might bitch and whine to the TV audience about his life, he's still out there constantly saving thousands of people in Metropolis. This episode definitely illustrated that with the point that he's content to just save people in secret at the beginning, but by the end he's chosen to reveal himself (in another few episodes, of course, and after people have had time to see his glasses-covered C.K. guise).

It's not that he acted in secret that bugs me, it's that he's been so reluctant to act and stop whining while everyone around him is doing what he should be doing.

I dunno about him being Connor. It'll probably end up being a similar concept, but I doubt he'll actually be named Connor Kent or Superboy.

Should've put that in quotes; I wasn't being literal.

John Glover was (as always) perfectly evil as Lionel, and young "Alexander" is so much like Rosenbaum that it's borderline-freaky. I'm not at all a fan of the Lex cloning subplot, but this episode dealt with it exceptionally well.

About the Lex clone subplot: this dance has been done before. We saw it between the real Lex and Lionel, and that ended with Lionel shoved off a building. We know they're going to turn on each other, so why should we care? I didn't need to see that again with a clone. I don't even know where you saw him being like Rosenbaum, as I was struck by how unlike Rosenbaum's Lex he was.

This was also the first episode that actually made the VRA thing work without feeling completely contrived. That montage of webcam video messages, cheesy as some might call it, was definitely in line with the way that true Superman fans view the character. Very, very cool moment, and probably one of the minor defining "Superman moments" of the show thus far.

Couldn't disagree more about the VRA part. It felt to me that they just gave up on it and, preview of next week nontheless, stopped caring about the Darkseid storyline.

And yeah, those video messages probably could have been a Superman moment if Smallville's Clark Kent was anything close to resembling Superman.

It's not that he acted in secret that bugs me, it's that he's been so reluctant to act and stop whining while everyone around him is doing what he should be doing.

That's fair. Though I still think that the general populous would know more about the Blur than anyone else, since he's doing the vast majority of actual saving people in Metropolis. That's the one thing this version of Clark hasn't skimped on over the last couple seasons.

I don't even know where you saw him being like Rosenbaum, as I was struck by how unlike Rosenbaum's Lex he was.

Really? Man. I was floored at how much of Rosenbaum's persona he got. Admittedly a younger version of him, but yeah. It totally clicked for me.

And yeah, those video messages probably could have been a Superman moment if Smallville's Clark Kent was anything close to resembling Superman.

See, I see Smallville's Clark as exactly that: something close to resembling Superman before he's actually put on the tights. Emphasis on "close to."

I like how Lex is starting to lose his memory, it kind of answers the whole question of "Won't Lex just out Clark when he becomes Superman?" If he doesn't remember, he won't remember the final scene in Season 7. I am still curious to find out how everyone around Clark in Metropolis won't know he's Superman, he's been walking around since Season 5(as well as various times before that)in Metropolis with no glasses and non-clumsy or unlike Superman.

Okay, now I'm thinking that "Lex" is going to turn into Connor, and the Michael Rosenbaum Lex is going to come out when we least expect it.

Except Rosenbaum is only coming back for the finale. Hell, I'll be surprised if he shows up for anything more than the last five minutes of the episode.

That's what Shaun's saying, I think. Rosenbaum comes back at the last minute and is like "PSYCH! I never died. But I seem to have forgotten something very important regarding Clark Kent. Hmm..."