Caprica

It's back:

SCI FI Channel has given the go-ahead to "Caprica," a prequel of "Battlestar Galactica" in the form of a two-hour backdoor pilot, and has signed Rosario Dawson to develop "True Believer," the pilot for a proposed series based on a comic book she co-created.

"Battlestar Galactica" is concluding its 3½-year run with 20 final episodes this year. Its "Caprica" prequel begins production in Vancouver in the spring. Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, the executive producers of "Galactica," will join with Universal Media Studios to work on "Caprica." Rene Aubuchon will co-write the "Caprica" pilot with Moore, and Jeff Reiner will direct it. Casting begins soon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=43087

• 1 month later...

Cut from an article about another Sci-Fi channel show:

Paula Malcomson has been cast as the female lead in "Caprica," Sci Fi's prequel to "Battlestar Galactica."

Set 50 years before the events in "Battlestar," the UMS-produced "Caprica" follows the evolution of the Cylon race and the fight between two families.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...a9b0f0b17631cc0

Esai Morales has joined the cast of Sci Fi Channel's two-hour "Caprica" pilot.

The project, from Universal Media Studios, is a prequel to the network's "Battlestar Galactica." Morales will play Joseph Adama, the father of William Adama (played in "Galactica" by Edward James Olmos), who one day will take command of the Battlestar Galactica.

Joseph is described as a deeply passionate man with a strong sense of justice -- and someone you wouldn't want as your enemy.

Paula Malcomson was previously cast as a surgeon who works as a double agent.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...b13d999fae8905b

• 2 months later...
“We’re not sure if it’s going to air as a backdoor pilot,” says Sci Fi Channel's executive vp of programming Mark Stern at the Television Critics Association press tour. “We’re going to take a look at it and maybe just order it as a series from there. We are going to take delivery on it in a couple of weeks and then decide whether to air it as a standalone movie or as the premiere of a new series.”

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/07/caprica-battles.html

• 8 months later...

Am I the only one who's NOT looking forward to this series?

It's like Battlestar without the epic journey, spaceships, and military drama.

Sure it'll have great characters and family drama, but I'm not sure I'll care about it as much without the heavy sci-fi influence. If they jump forward in time and show us the Cylon war, though, I'll be more than thrilled.

'm kind of interested in it, in a peripheral way. I'll probably watch the first few eps on Hulu before deciding whether or not to follow it on a regular basis.

So, with the trailer I saw during the finale, are they implying that the Colonies came up with skin jobs before/after teh Cylons did? @.@

Will add more thoughts as I watch the trailers when 'm back at Lawrence later tonight.

When is it on again?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm still going to buy it on Tuesday but, yeah, I am also kinda skeptical. Then again, I don't think anyone was expecting Battlestar to be all that great when it came out. After all, all the old school people were up in arms about Starbuck being a girl.

In all the trailers and scenes I've seen from Caprica, I've seen rich people playing tennis and rich people eating dinner. BSG at least had cool robots and space battles with shit blowing up.

So far it's pretty boring, and Christians are going to hate it.

Believers in the one true God are terrorists.

It is cool to see how the Cylons were created though. Also, all the nudity in it was unexpected.

The Cylons in BSG were also monotheistic (and nearly quoted the Bible), but at least they were also shown to be not exactly correct or incorrect about everything. Yeah, I think sometimes RDM and the BSG/Caprica writing crew just like to make waves for the sake of making waves.

I watched it last night. Pretty good. The ending was good and I didn't so much mind the One God movement because it's a plot thread that is actually going to go somewhere and not just shock value. The first time you see Willy Adams in it is interesting since we're seeing probably the most important man in the history of the colonies as an 11 year old boy.

All said, I would recommend it to most anyone. I am intrigued by where some of this tech went between beginning of Battlestar and end of Caprica.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm imagining that all the tech got scrapped because they mentioned early on in BSG that Cylons could hack into it and mess things up; thus, the Galactica and all of its antiquated systems.

I'm kind of eh about this; interested to see where it could go, but not overwhelmed by what I saw. Liked a lot of the existential stuff with Zoe and Adama's daughter's avatars. (I can't feel my heart beat, Daddy!) Dislike that Moore's bringing out what got hammered into us in the season finale, but maybe that'll lessen.

• 1 year later...
Caprica is toast. Syfy has announced that the low-rated Battlestar Galactica prequel has been canceled.

“The remaining first run episodes of Caprica – airing Tuesdays at 10/9c – will be removed from the schedule as of next Tuesday, November 2,” said the network in a statement. “These final five episodes of the season will be re-scheduled to air at a to be announced time in the first quarter of 2011, and will conclude the run of the series.”

“We appreciate all the support that fans have shown for Caprica and are very proud of the producers, cast, writers and the rest of the amazing team that has been committed to this fine series,” said Mark Stern, EVP of original programming at Syfy. “Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, Caprica has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season.”

The news comes less than a week after Syfy unveiled plans for another Galactica prequel, this one set 10 years into the first Cylon war.

Source