The King and I: The Power and the Pride!

RSS

Last time I told you I was introduced to Kirby's work with the cover of Satan's Six #1. It wasn't until a year later - when I discovered a hidden gem in a dusty 10-cent bin at a flea market - that I fully realized the power of Jack Kirby. I am proud to say that the first issue I ever bought featuring full art by Kirby was Fantastic Four #87. Well, it was actually the 1977 reprint issue Marvel's Greatest Comics #69, but I digress.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/reddick/the-king-and-i-02

You know what I love about this new series? Des says, "This is so profound!" While my response is, "HA! Doom had to stand on a chair to set a trap." Either way, another great one, Mr. Reddick! This series has me reading classic tales I should have read years ago.

Below is a list of things I noticed while reading the book.

Obviously, HA! Doom had to stand on a chair to set a trap. That seems so un-Doom-like. What, no stepladders in Latveria?

Ben blew a large wooden door down! Since when does he have super-breath?

There's a scene where it looks like Reed is tugging at his leg, as if to bring it back to normal size. Was that common for the era? Was Reed unable to mentally pull himself back together? I've read other issues and never noticed this before, but I thought I'd ask.

The death of Hauptmann is frightening, and the final shot of Doom's mask is oddly touching.

My favorite exchange

Doom: Have you chosen a name for your son, yet, Mrs. Richards?

Sue: Why -- no -- I haven't!

My favorite line

The Thing: Wotta dump! Not even one pin-up of Raquel Welch!

Best advertisement

Tired of Being 'Skinny'?

DRINK ON POUNDS OF WEIGHT FAST - THE FUN WAY!

The "They had those back then?" advertisement

COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE

WE BUY AND SELL

MARVEL COMICS CHECKLIST AND PRICE LIST

32-Page Pocket Size Booklet - 25¢

Back date Marvel Comic Books from 1961 to date for sale.

DC Comic list - 25¢. Both DC and Marvel List - 50¢.

Sample Plastic Comic Bag to protect your comics also sent

ROBERT BELL - Suite 18, Hauppauge, NY 11787

I had no idea back issues and sleeves were being sold in the 1960s!

The "They had those back then?" advertisement

COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE

WE BUY AND SELL

MARVEL COMICS CHECKLIST AND PRICE LIST

32-Page Pocket Size Booklet - 25¢

Back date Marvel Comic Books from 1961 to date for sale.

DC Comic list - 25¢. Both DC and Marvel List - 50¢.

Sample Plastic Comic Bag to protect your comics also sent

ROBERT BELL - Suite 18, Hauppauge, NY 11787

I had no idea back issues and sleeves were being sold in the 1960s!

Oh, yeah! Robert Bell, with the picture of Thor with the huge "B" on his hat! Jeez, that takes me back. (Not that I was around in the 60s, but those ads ran well into the 80s.)

You know what I love about this new series? Des says, "This is so profound!" While my response is, "HA! Doom had to stand on a chair to set a trap." Either way, another great one, Mr. Reddick! This series has me reading classic tales I should have read years ago.

That's all I want with this article. Thanks.

There's a scene where it looks like Reed is tugging at his leg, as if to bring it back to normal size. Was that common for the era? Was Reed unable to mentally pull himself back together? I've read other issues and never noticed this before, but I thought I'd ask.

I meant to mention that! I've seen it happen before but it has always been after he has "stretched himself to his very limit" a few times but never before when it wasn't touched upon in the writing. I blame Stan.

My favorite line

The Thing: Wotta dump! Not even one pin-up of Raquel Welch!

The verbal stylings of Mr. Grimm are certainly something of an upcoming topic.

Jack Kirby was the man throughout his career, but this run of FF was just nine years of solid brilliance, both from himself and from Stan. They brought each other to another level and clearly loved working on this book. I have much to thank GIT Corp for; I can finally read all of these issues in one sitting.

Des, this is a great series.

Best advertisement

Tired of Being 'Skinny'?

DRINK ON POUNDS OF WEIGHT FAST - THE FUN WAY!

"Man, I'd sure love to gain some weight, but eating all of this delicious, high-calorie food is such a drag!"

I'll definately have to check this out now. Can't remember the last FF story I really liked.

Good stuff, Mr. Reddick.