Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Missy

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that the show is one giant tribute to the Silver Age and I'm glad that by and large it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm not the person to ask about what the Silver Age was all about since I'm just coming into comics, but having seen or read a few tributes to the era, I prefer those that pay respect to it but are clearly written with modern sensibilities and without the silly puns, like DC: The New Frontier and the Justice League episode "Legends".

I love those tributes as well; All Star Superman and DC: The New Frontier being two of my all time favorite comics. What I appreciate about The Brave and The Bold is that it is mainly out to be a purely fun superhero cartoon, which is something I appreciate after 20 years of DCAU cartoons. Not to say that it isn't serious, as there have been quite a few deaths. And those deaths have a greater impact, in my mind at least, because of the overall tone of the show. Plus, while Batman does say puns often, he is usually the straight man to the other characters. It's a show that is aware of what it's doing and what it's doing isn't going to click with everyone.

The Joker is a character that has gone in several directions since he was first created, but he should always be either sinister or hilarious, or, ideally, BOTH and this version is NEITHER. I've seen every episode he's been in and cannot remember him saying or doing a single thing that made me laugh.

It might not be The Killing Joke, but I think The Joker killing Batman over and over was sinister for the show. And if you don't find The Joker pulling a bazooka out of his pants hilarious, I think we just have different tastes in humor.

It might not be The Killing Joke, but I think The Joker killing Batman over and over was sinister for the show. And if you don't find The Joker pulling a bazooka out of his pants hilarious, I think we just have different tastes in humor.

I think that is even worse than the killing joke, as Batman knows every time The Joker has killed him, and brought him back to life, fucking with his head in many different ways.

Also, the Joker was all kinds of awesome in this episode.

"Rule 1: good supervillains never leave the superhero alive, dummy. Rule 2: countdown clocks are for hacks."

I also watched the Freedom Fighters episode, it was average.

Yeah, I didn't think that one was great or terrible; Plastic Man and Uncle Sam made it enjoyable.

Also, the Joker was all kinds of awesome in this episode.

"Rule 1: good supervillains never leave the superhero alive, dummy. Rule 2: countdown clocks are for hacks."

Quick thing, just to make sure:

Joker JR was just a random crazy the Joker found, and wasn't really his son?

Yeah, I didn't think that one was great or terrible; Plastic Man and Uncle Sam made it enjoyable.

Yeah, it was a weak episode, but for this show, that is a rarity. Uncle Sam does have the best way to charge his superpowers though.

Another huge gripe I had with "Darkseid Descending" that I forgot to mention--WHY DID BATMAN BRING TOGETHER ONLY SEVEN FUCKING HEROES TO BRING DOWN AN OMEGA-LEVEL THREAT??? IT'S ASININE. You'd think Batman would even recruit some of the villains to oppose the armies of Apokolips. I know they probably didn't want to replicate "Destroyer" too much and that you could only have so many characters in a span of 22 minutes, but COME THE FUCK ON. :madgo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The last two episodes of Season Two have aired in the UK, but not in the U.S.

It seems like they are just forgetting about airing them here. They will probably add it to the final box set as "Unreleased Episodes" as a way to sell it. I was really looking forward to the Scooby-Doo thing.

I was just checking out wikipedia and I noticed that there is going to be a third season(the last two episodes are part of season 2). I'm a bit confused since I thought Young Justice was made as a replacement. I hope this is true and we get two great DC shows. That would be awesome

Here is a link to that news, but it was released in 7/2010

http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1108206p1.html

I'm watching "Bat-Mite Presents: Batman's Strangest Cases!" It is incredible.

Edit: Watched "The Malicious Mr. Mind!" as well. Great episode, loved that they utilized more of the Marvel Family. Dr. Sivana and Mr. Mind brought some classic supervillainy.

I agree with both. Bat-Mite presents was the most fucked up Batman cartoon ever.

Just curious, have any of these DC animated cartoons as of late ever gone over the amount most seem to be cancelled at. I think someone said they all get about 50 something or 60 something episodes and then are automatically cancelled?

Nope, even when the series has high ratings the networks and the people involved don't push to keep going.

Just curious, have any of these DC animated cartoons as of late ever gone over the amount most seem to be cancelled at. I think someone said they all get about 50 something or 60 something episodes and then are automatically cancelled?

Nope, even when the series has high ratings the networks and the people involved don't push to keep going.

Unlike DC live-action television series these days, by the way...