Saw 5 **SPOILERS**

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw 5 was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. (Granted, that's not exactly a compliment.) They managed to add to the history of the franchise without making the story unnecessarily convoluted, at least in comparison to the previous films.

The new killer though, does not fit with the Jigsaw MO, especially with the cover-up killing at the end of the movie. That was even out of character for the new killer. Everything was, well, not terribly outrageous until that part.

By the way, can we please have an actual sequel next time? Saw 2 was a true sequel in that it took place after Saw 1. But much of Saw 3, 4 and 5 take place at the same time as 1 and 2. It's just getting silly at this point. Advance the story or end the franchise.

Saw 5 was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. (Granted, that's not exactly a compliment.) They managed to add to the history of the franchise without making the story unnecessarily convoluted, at least in comparison to the previous films.

The new killer though, does not fit with the Jigsaw MO, especially with the cover-up killing at the end of the movie. That was even out of character for the new killer. Everything was, well, not terribly outrageous until that part.

By the way, can we please have an actual sequel next time? Saw 2 was a true sequel in that it took place after Saw 1. But much of Saw 3, 4 and 5 take place at the same time as 1 and 2. It's just getting silly at this point. Advance the story or end the franchise.

I agree Part 5 wasn't that bad(I actually liked the teamwork lesson the group winds up finding out they were meant to do), but Saw 3 and 4 took place at the same time. Saw 5 took place after 2 & 3 with several flashbacks from all the films(this is to help explain what it going on).

• 5 years later...

I recently went back and watched all seven Saw movies again. (I know.)

Anyway, I originally said Saw 5 wasn't as bad as it could have been. (Which is not exactly high praise.) But after re-watching 1 through 7, I have a lot less regard for 5 than I did the first time, because the timeline cannot possibly work for this.

If you watch Saw 5 within a week of watching Saw 1, the timeline flaws are much more glaring - the first time I watched Saw 5 it had been four years since I had seen the first one, so my memory wasn't clear.

Anyway, to the timeline.

As you recall, in the opening trap of Saw 5, Hoffman killed his sister's ex-boyfriend, and tried to pin it on Jigsaw. Then Jigsaw kidnapped him and blackmailed Hoffman into being his sidekick.

The first Jigsaw murder in Saw 1 was the overweight guy in the razor wire trap. Hoffman helped with that one. This means that Jigsaw had committed several murders before Saw 1 ever happened.

The only way for the timeline to work is if it goes like this: Jigsaw kills a bunch of people. Hoffman is investigating him. Hoffman pulls a copycat. Jigsaw kidnaps Hoffman and makes him Jigsaw Jr.

This also means we can make at least one prequel, if not more.

And I have officially put more thought into this than the writers did.

I have soured on this series over time, and the entertainment value comes from laughing at how bad the writing is from people who think they are writing a smart movie.

I think the reason I have been a lot more lenient on this series than I would have been otherwise is because my name was not mentioned in the first one.

And then the Saw II Special Edition DVD played to my ego even more with "The Scott Tibbs Documentary."

(By the way, in the very first Saw movie, there were two traps where someone had to die - the bathroom trap and Amanda's trap.)