The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that (for the third time this series) was a Doctor Who story.

Ha ha :) which were the other two?

Asylum of the Daleks - Good episode overall. I don't buy the sexism argument, nor mind the divorce angle. Plus Oswyn was aweome/gorgeous. For a Dalek.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - Fluff, although really enjoyable, fun fluff.

A Town Called Mercy - Fluff. Not bad, per se. Just fluff.

Power of Three - Whilst I didn't like the last line, I loved the grounded approach from the Ponds POV (+ Brian and Kate). Didn't NEED Steven Berkoff, but then he wasn't the focus.

The Angels Take Manhattan - Just awesome. Although, recording with Dave a few hours ago, he spotted a line of dialogue that undid the ending for him. Still, sod that guy!

Now that (for the third time this series) was a Doctor Who story.

Ha ha :) which were the other two?

Asylum of the Daleks - Good episode overall. I don't buy the sexism argument, nor mind the divorce angle. Plus Oswyn was aweome/gorgeous. For a Dalek.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - Fluff, although really enjoyable, fun fluff.

A Town Called Mercy - Fluff. Not bad, per se. Just fluff.

Power of Three - Whilst I didn't like the last line, I loved the grounded approach from the Ponds POV (+ Brian and Kate). Didn't NEED Steven Berkoff, but then he wasn't the focus.

The Angels Take Manhattan - Just awesome. Although, recording with Dave a few hours ago, he spotted a line of dialogue that undid the ending for him. Still, sod that guy!

I thought every episode so far (not including Angels) had too many problems for me to really just kick back and enjoy.

Asylum - Didn't buy the reason for an asylum or that all the Daleks were working together, after the new ones killed off the bronze ones last time. Or that they were scared of a load of crazy Daleks that weren't going anywhere. New companion worked well with Smith though.

Dinosaurs - was pure fluff but at least enjoyable but forgettable.

Mercy - had nothing we hadn't seen before and felt like we were treading old ground. Worst of all they gave Rory nothing to do.

Power of 3 - Nice set up and character moments but lousy pay off that left me unfulfilled. (didn't know that was Berkoff will have to re-watch)

Angels - Back to form. It zipped along, great dialogue and a fitting end. Nice moment at the very end. What was the line that undid the ending?

While that was a strong episode, I felt it was a weak companion departure.

I liked there departure. Although as soon as I heard that they were going to leave on this episode, I knew this was the only way they were going to write them out.

There was no way they were going to let them die. Nice that they at least mentioned the period of time when Amelia was waiting in her garden for him.

I just don't understand that whole "You are creating fixed time! I will never be able to see you again!" thing. Even if you accept that at face value, that they have to die in the past because The Doctor read their names on a tombstone, why can't The Doctor visit them and take them on adventures? As long as he brings them back to die before their fixed date of death, it all works out.

Furthermore, I don't accept it at face value. The Doctor and his companions have read plenty of documents and history books, which he then went on to change. So why is this fixed?

It comes off like an overly complicated, yet poorly thought out excuse to make sure the characters never return.

What line was that, Ian?

I think it goes that Dave thought the Doctor said "I can never go back to New York again due to time energy" and yet once River & Eleven set off in the Tardis, the Doctor reappears in New York to seize the afterword. I was under the impression the line was more "I can never go back to New York around the 1930s again due to time energy". I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I squeezed that viewing between watching Blake's 7 then recording Shake & Blake, so I haven't had time to let everything settle.

What line was that, Ian?

I think it goes that Dave thought the Doctor said "I can never go back to New York again due to time energy" and yet once River & Eleven set off in the Tardis, the Doctor reappears in New York to seize the afterword. I was under the impression the line was more "I can never go back to New York around the 1930s again due to time energy". I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I squeezed that viewing between watching Blake's 7 then recording Shake & Blake, so I haven't had time to let everything settle.

I had the same thought but

I'm sure he did say New York of that period not New York as a whole.

I just don't understand that whole "You are creating fixed time! I will never be able to see you again!" thing. Even if you accept that at face value, that they have to die in the past because The Doctor read their names on a tombstone, why can't The Doctor visit them and take them on adventures? As long as he brings them back to die before their fixed date of death, it all works out.

Furthermore, I don't accept it at face value. The Doctor and his companions have read plenty of documents and history books, which he then went on to change. So why is this fixed?

It comes off like an overly complicated, yet poorly thought out excuse to make sure the characters never return.

I agree but at some point they have to put a lid on it and call it a day or they could go on forever with the Doctor returning to a point in time to change things.

What ever device they come up with to say he can't go back will always seem a bit flimsy. Keeping it vague by just saying it's fixed, lets the viewer expand on it in there own mind in whatever way they are comfortable with.

WWTW

They already established that 1938 (not "New York, 1938," but just "1938") was near-impossible to land in, then there was a time paradox explosion on top of that. The ramifications of it are vague, but what I inferred is that the time the Williamses returned to was permanently unreachable. That wouldn't mean that the Doctor couldn't go and pick them up a couple decades later or something, when they're middle-aged, but there's a dozen different speculative responses for that. Maybe the fact that the Williamses were part of the same timespace event three times over means that they literally can't be reached by TARDIS. Maybe the entire area of New York over a larger period of time (but not enough to reach the present) is now unreachable. Maybe the Doctor (who has described himself as "a big complicated timespace event") can no longer directly interact with the Williamses because of all their looping timespace craziness focused on the exact same point in timespace.

So, yeah, wibbly wobbly. But it can make sense if you let it.