The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here you go, Mike.

2 entertain have confirmed that the First Doctor story The Keys of Marinus is scheduled to be released on DVD in the first half of 2009. This release is in addition to the stories previously announced.

The Keys of Marinus was William Hartnell's fifth story and was originally shown between 11 April and 16 May 1964. It was written by the Daleks' creator, Terry Nation, and directed by John Gorrie. The Doctor Who restoration team has an article on the making of the DVD including details of previously unknown cuts in the episodes and how this missing material was restored.

The team also have a feature on the upcoming release of the Patrick Troughton 10 part epic, The War Games.

There are 11 DVD release slots scheduled in 2009. The two remaining slots are likely to be filled with a box set consisting of three stories, and a stand alone release.

The current confirmed UK DVD release schedule is as follows:

• 26 Jan 2009 - E-Space Trilogy Box (Full Circle, State of Decay and Warriors' Gate)

• 23 Feb 2009 - The Rescue / The Romans

• 16 Mar 2009 - Attack of the Cybermen

In addition, the following are slated for UK release in 2009, with specific dates yet to be announced: The Keys of Marinus; The War Games; Dalek War box set (Frontier in Space / Planet of the Daleks); The Deadly Assassin; Image of the Fendahl; Delta and the Bannermen

• 2 weeks later...

Starting Reign of Terror.

- I swear I thought I saw Ian grope Susan when he was holding her back in the first episode. Not that I'd blame him, really. Turned out to just be some sort of Freudian hallucination.

- Barbara wasn't willing to take one for the team! She could've just taken the guard aside for five minutes and got them out of there.

- Doctor killed a guy with a shovel! Alright, I know he didn't kill him, but come on now. That guy should be dead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The nominations for the 2009 Hugo Awards have been announced, and once again Doctor Who has been nominated for the "Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form" category. Two Doctor Who stories received nominations: "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead" by Steven Moffat, directed by Euros Lyn; and "Turn Left" by Russell T Davies, directed by Graeme Harper. They will compete against episodes of Lost and Battlestar Galactica, and Joss Whedon's Internet musical "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog".

The Hugo Awards are given each year for the best works of science fiction or fantasy, as determined by the members of the World Science Fiction Society. Doctor Who has won every year since its return to television in 2005: the last three winners have been "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" (2006), "The Girl in the Fireplace" (2007) and "Blink" (2008), all written by Steven Moffat. Five other Doctor Who stories and one episode of Torchwood have been nominated in the past.

This year's winner will be announced at Anticipation, the 67th Annual Worldcon, in Montreal, Canada in August.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally enjoyed "Planet of the Dead." There were a couple of times that the Michelle Ryan's character angered me but, that all said, I like Catwoman so her reaction to a few things didn't faze me. As for the ending, I loved it. It helped get across that this is probably going to be the last time we see the 10th doctor happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all - I know the shill threads are below, but a heads up that we have a review of the latest BBC DVD (The Deadly Assassin) up at GeekPlanet. Also, we have a new column (Queer Eye for the Sci Fi) looking at the old question of whether or not there is a gay agenda in New Who. I figure this is stuff that fans of the shows here would be interested in.

Hey all - I know the shill threads are below, but a heads up that we have a review of the latest BBC DVD (The Deadly Assassin) up at GeekPlanet. Also, we have a new column (Queer Eye for the Sci Fi) looking at the old question of whether or not there is a gay agenda in New Who. I figure this is stuff that fans of the shows here would be interested in.

Read the Gay Agenda article. I agree, the show may have a so called "Gay Agenda" but it's nothing out of the ordinary. It's the 21st century, big whoop. Having gay characters is completely normal, it's not as if no one before 1950 was gay. Besides, it's Captain Jack. Who wouldn't want him?

I'm on Last of the Time Lords. While I miss Rose, season 3 was so much better than 1 and 2. Every episode in that season has great writing and the performances are spot on. I'm about to start season 4 and I hope they continue to be this good.
I envy being in your shoes again. Season 4 is my favorite season overall. Catherine Tate's Donna Noble really grows as a character. She's a lot less shrill and, to tell you the truth, my favorite companion of the new series, mainly because she's not going to fall in love with the Doctor like Rose or Martha. Won't say any more so as not to spoil it for you but it really is a terrific season. I do recommend watching the first season of The Sarah Jane Adventures and second season of Torchwood first since both have slight spoilers later on during the season.

Read the Gay Agenda article. I agree, the show may have a so called "Gay Agenda" but it's nothing out of the ordinary. It's the 21st century, big whoop. Having gay characters is completely normal, it's not as if no one before 1950 was gay. Besides, it's Captain Jack. Who wouldn't want him?

I know, but in amongst UK fans, especially those of the old series, it was a HUGE deal. For no particularly good reason.

Mind you, since Time Lords were supposedly created by 'genetic looms', and (whisper it) "sex" didn't exist in the series, I think amongst some fans, it's just down to downright terror.

You live in the US.

You haven't seen UK Doctor Who fans. Asexuality is a better option than constantly getting turned down.

Oh, and as a UK Doctor Who fan, who knows other UK Doctor Who fans, I'm talking about those other Doctor Who fans. The sad ones. Not the cool ones reading this.

You live in the US.

You haven't seen UK Doctor Who fans. Asexuality is a better option than constantly getting turned down.

Oh, and as a UK Doctor Who fan, who knows other UK Doctor Who fans, I'm talking about those other Doctor Who fans. The sad ones. Not the cool ones reading this.

I guess that's the advantage of growing up with it being the weird show on PBS that came on before Ghostwriter on Sundays. It wasn't part of my national tradition or anything like that. It was just the show with guy with the awesome scarf and the scary robots (Daleks scared me as a kid).