The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating interview with Stephen Moffat in this months DWM.  Not much about the new series, it's more going into his whole philosophy about the series.  But some interesting comments about the new Daleks

It was always vaguely my thought that all we'd ever do with those big new ones was that they would just be an officer class.  You remember how in Planet of the Daleks, a chief Dalek appears, that's different to all the other ones?  I just thought it would nice if you had an officer class.

Not sure I full believe that they built all those new casings just to have them be officers, I wonder if that's just damage control after how unpopular they were.

Most fun titbit about a new episode though (under the spoiler cut)

There's every kind of Dalek in this one, we're going to have the most Daleks we've ever had on screen ever - but they will be from every era, quite deliberately.  Even the special weapons Dalek!

Have we ever seen K-9 set a Dalek on Fire because that would be kinda awesome.

Not that I can recall. The only Dalek story in the K-9 era would have been Destiny of the Daleks, and A) K9 stayed in the TARDIS because the prop couldn't really function on location, and B) K9 setting a Dalek on fire would have violated the "everything about this story has to suck balls" mandate.

The opening episode of the next series of Doctor Who, we believe, is the one with the cornucopia of Daleks. Every size, shape and colour of killer pepperpot putting their subtle differences aside to exterminate as one.

Can’t wait.

Well, can wait. Have to wait.

The episode has been slated to premiere this August, somewhere between the 23rd and 25th, at the Media Guardian Edinburgh International Television Festival. What that means about an actual BBC airdate remains to be seen. Surely they won’t keep the masses waiting too much longer?

In view of this new info I’ll throw my predicto-dart at September for the TV screening. That would be nice, anyway. And it would mean that the show goes off air somewhere between early October and the start of November before taking a short pause ahead of the Christmas special. Doesn’t sound ridiculous.

Also set for the fest are Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss’s Sherlock masterclass, a conversation between Charlie Brooker and Caitlin Moran, and Ruth Jones… doing something. Sounds like I’d have a whale of a time.

Only Hartnell could have pulled that off. Troughton would have whimpered about a giant ant, Pertwee would have winked at the camera, Tom Baker would have made a joke about the costume, Davison would have backed down with a hushed speech about ant-people, Colin Baker would have put his hands on his hips and monologued at it, and McCoy would have spoken about the beauty of such a creature. But Hartnell, he plays it straight and readies himself for a fight.

God, I might have to rethink my list and place him atop the Best Doctor list.

If we go with modern doctors, Eccleston would have laughed at it like a badass, Tennant would have comically fought it with a giant sword and/or water pistol whilst wearing 3D glasses, and Smith would be laughing, yelling, running, fighting, giving a moral speech, and making out with River Song all at once.

Presented for your consideration, jump to 4:10 to watch the exact moment Christopher Eccleston said "Fuck this!" and decided to leave the show.

He's trying so hard to be polite about it, but you can see how much it bothers him.

My internet is blocked for a lot of things in my office so I can't actually see the video, but is that by chance the Jonathan Ross interview? That was LEGENDARY. I remember watching that and seeing the "holy mother of FUCK what have I gotten into" look on his face when that action figure got shown to him, and immediately realizing he had no idea what was about to happen to him.

Yeah, I even touched on that in that "Inside the TARDIS" article I wrote way back.

In retrospect, it was inevitable that the Ninth Doctor would only last a short time. There was a very specific story arc that had to end with him regenerating. There was also the implication of hiring an actor who was notoriously restless when tied down to a project, and who, when appearing on a talk show, was shown his action figure for the first time, and who had a very visible "what the hell am I getting myself into" look on his face. Eccleston was clearly unprepared for the intense public scrutiny that came with the role, and had no idea what he was in for. So when it was announced that Eccleston would be leaving at the end of the season, fandom really shouldn't have been too surprised. (But surprised they were. The outcry was incredible, and got so ugly so fast that Shaun Lyon, the webmaster of the wildly popular Outpost Gallifrey website, had to take his forums offline for two days to get everyone to calm down.)

At first I was about to say it seems like you kind of have to be a fan of the show to really get into playing the role. But IIRC Matt Smith wasn't a fan, but got into it after being hired. MaGaan and Eccelston seemed like they were completely unaware about the mere concept of fans and their nature.

I'm not sure I agree that you HAVE to be a fan to get into the role. I think a good actor can see the role for what it is and play it accordingly. However, being Doctor Who is one of those things like being James Bond or Superman - it stays with the actor forever. Christopher Eccleston could go on to become the Prime Minister of Mars, and when he dies the headline will read "Former Dr Who passes away". From the sound of it, he (and McGann, for that matter) were not made sufficiently aware of that before taking the role on.

Oh yeah, I wasn't meaning to imply that one hadda be a fan either. I mean Christian Bale knew nothing of Batman before signing on to do three movies as the character. Also I figure that the role hadn't been something of a legacy job where the concept achieved true cult status until Peter Davidson took on the role. He would've been the first actor to have been a kid when the show was first on to have been aware of it.