The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those of you watching the internet fairy, please let me know when she lands.

I think it went up right after it aired, actually. I just finished watching it.

Well, that was awesome.

Really interested to see how Oswin will fit into everything down the line; absolutely loved her here.

On the whole I liked it. Good solid start with some nice ideas to build on in the coming episodes. But...

Why did the so called normal Daleks need saving from or in fear of the Insane Asylum Daleks? They weren't going anywhere or doing anything. Were they?

If the Alaska could crash into the asylum planet, then there was a weakness in the shield, thus the insane Daleks could get out.

Just realised...

If Oswin is the new companion, that means we are meeting her at the end of her life. Just like River Song. And just like River Song, she dies when he first meets her. Has Moffat started running out of ideas?

Also, if she IS the new companion, why doesn't she recognise him? Maybe he erased her memory of him when she leaves.

For those of you watching the internet fairy, please let me know when she lands.

I think it went up right after it aired, actually. I just finished watching it.

Well, that was awesome.

Really interested to see how Oswin will fit into everything down the line; absolutely loved her here.

On the whole I liked it. Good solid start with some nice ideas to build on in the coming episodes. But...

Why did the so called normal Daleks need saving from or in fear of the Insane Asylum Daleks? They weren't going anywhere or doing anything. Were they?

If the Alaska could crash into the asylum planet, then there was a weakness in the shield, thus the insane Daleks could get out.

Ok they could of at some point get out and I know that the Daleks were scared of them, That's why none of them would go down there but they didn't realy show them to be a real force on the episode. Most of them were really beaten up bad. Nothing a whole fleet of Daleks couldn't handle. Oh and I loved the new companion. Worked well with Matt.

Just realised...

If Oswin is the new companion, that means we are meeting her at the end of her life. Just like River Song. And just like River Song, she dies when he first meets her. Has Moffat started running out of ideas?

Also, if she IS the new companion, why doesn't she recognise him? Maybe he erased her memory of him when she leaves.

I'd guess that instead, she's going to be reverted back into a human through timespace tomfoolery. Or maybe she gets a cloned body and a mind-transfer. Something like that.

Just realised...

I'd guess that instead, she's going to be reverted back into a human through timespace tomfoolery. Or maybe she gets a cloned body and a mind-transfer. Something like that.

I thought it was a bit much that they had her say "Remember me" and then look directly into the camera

Just realised...

Or, this all happens after her time as the Doctor's companion. And she only remembers crash landing, and not her time with the Doctor.

With the possible exception of Dalek, that might be the best Dalek episode of the New Series.

Oh, and totally called her being a Dalek by a quarter of the way through the episode. Also, I thought Skarro was a pile of space rubble that would be Alderaan to shame?

Even though the Seventh Doctor destroyed Skaro, it did exist at the beginning of the TV movie and the "canon" interactive Who games at the beginning of Eleven's run utilised the idea of Skaro on Earth (or something like that - it's on the wikipedia entry). I definitely didn't call Oswyn being a Dalek though - VERY interested to see how the actress graduates into companion. Don't agree with Jason that Moff's ripping off the River Song origin, certainly not off the back of a single episode.

Unsurprisingly, "The Doctor's Wife" won the Hugo.

tumblr_m9r5j3eZ4v1qe6p88.gif

I really like Asylum of the Daleks. My only quibble with it is

The Rory and Amy subplot was resolved a bit too quickly. Plus, Rory waited 2000 freaking years for Amy. That's about three times as long as the Doctor's been alive. You can't just brush aside something like that.

I have the feeling that Oswin was the new companion and that we haven't met her at the end of her life. Complete speculation on my part but I think, when she said "remember me" that was a command for the Dalek hivemind and that her spirit and memory are still amongst them somehow.

I really liked that episode. Fantastic opener.

Though, reaction in the first five minutes here:

GODDAMNIT, of fucking COURSE the Ponds are divorcing.

EDIT:

Okay. Tackling the Rory/Amy thing.

Amy has never, NEVER struck me as the type to be obsessed with whether or not she could have children. Emotional scars from Demon's Run? Oh hell yes, I can see that. But OMG I CAN NEVER GIVE YOU BABIES?? Come the fuck on. Also, remember River? She's still your kid! You only had her for a while, and she'll only show up sporadically throughout the timeline, but still, SHE EXISTS AND CAME OUT OF YOU. How is she suddenly not registering as your kid??

And whether or not it happened in this timeline or not, Rory STILL devoted his ass to your box for 2000 years. That is not something you brush off! (Also, is Rory the only person who remembers those alternate timelines?)

Oswin is certainly interesting, if she does turn out to be the same person that will be introduced later on. There does seem to be a certain mold with Moffat's companions that she seems to fit into.

Interesting season opener, quite excited for next ep.

....Oh god the PUNS in the last five minutes.