The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I liked parts. As a whole, the episode had moments where I feel like it was much too compressed. One thing that really bothered me though.

The Doctor killed Solomon. Did he commit Genocide? Yes but The Doctor still put him in a death trap. This kinda nails it for me that 11 has no problem outright killing his problems between this and his behavior in Day of the Moon.

One other note: Amy is starting to grow on me. If she continues to take charge when separated from the Doctor like in this episode, then I might have to reassess what I think of her.

The Doctor killed Solomon. Did he commit Genocide? Yes but The Doctor still put him in a death trap. This kinda nails it for me that 11 has no problem outright killing his problems between this and his behavior in Day of the Moon.

Maybe it's the Texan in me, but I think in cases like that (sentient species-wide genocide, being a secret murderous parasite that controls the entire human race while they sit helpless against you, etc), it's well beyond the justifiable level. Besides, in both cases, the Doctor essentially turned the villains' own situation against them, forcing them to face the consequences of their schemes.

I thought the episode was alright. But at the same time, I wasn't too into it. I got bored, and just starting doing other things, rather than just watching the episode. They repeatedly said the premise, which was grating after a while.

Having dinosaurs on the spaceship is worth a high five, not having a gigantic circle jerk for 45-50 minutes about how bloody smart you all are.

"Moffat = sexist" is a debate that's been going on for WELL before his time on Doctor Who. And to be fair, it's not entirely unjustified; Coupling, while very funny, was basically built on "men like beer and football, women like clothes and shoes" humor. However, anyone who looks at the Amy that appeared on "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and equated her to a damsel in distress was not paying attention. He spent more time saving Rory and Brian, but no one pays any attention to that.

I'd say Rory is far more often the damsel in distress than Amy.

Everyone, man or woman, will someday be in desperate need of help. That's what we have firemen, the coast guard, and police officers for. And if you're traveling with the Doctor, you're going to need a lot of help very often. So, yes, companions need help. To assume that all female characters should be invincible supergods who only ever save the Doctor and never the other way around is a pretty damned hypocritically sexist position to take.

This whole thing has gotten incredibly stupid. People are actually taking the position that Moffat is a sexist bastard and then watching the episodes to look out for "proof" of said sexism so they can rant about it on Tumblr. Literally, that is what they're doing, by their own admission.

Everyone always talks about Moffat being sexist. But act like RTD is never objectionable. Martha was a strong woman, who meets the Doctor, and turns into a lovestruck teenage girl who pines after him. Rose needs a man (the clone doctor) to get by in life. But none of the Moffat haters will see anything wrong with the Great RTD.

I wouldn't be surprised if they countered with: "But Donna didn't need a man!" As if that somehow offsets what RTD did with Rose and Martha.

EDIT: I'm not saying RTD was sexist, but if you're going to call Moffat one, you better look at RTD too.

Edited by The Master

Chris, remember what we argued about on Twitter after last week's episode? That, basically.

Ah, okay. Well, you know my position on that one. Also, did they miss Amy picking up the gun and saying "I'm easily worth two men. You can come along if you like." Also while Nefertitti was held hostage by that bastard Walder Filtch Frey, she got herself out of it when the opportunity arose.

It was mostly Amy's reasoning for leaving Rory, and Oswin referring to her relationship with Nina as a phase put off members of the LGBTQ community .

Were this anyone but Amy, who has a history of terrible impulsive choices in regards to her relationship with Rory, I might agree. The Oswin thing... um, people actually say that, all the time. I've heard the "phase" thing said by several of my friends, gay and straight, after they experimented with the opposite gender.

See, this whole thing is why I avoid sexism debates on the internet. Once someone pulls the sexism card, it's an absolute judgment that can apparently never be revoked or rethought. Unless you agree with the "person X is inarguably a sexist bigot deserving of nothing less than the torment of hell" argument, you simply can't win, and are usually declared a bigot yourself for defending such an apparently-terrible person.

It was mostly Amy's reasoning for leaving Rory, and Oswin referring to her relationship with Nina as a phase put off members of the LGBTQ community .

Were this anyone but Amy, who has a history of terrible impulsive choices in regards to her relationship with Rory, I might agree. The Oswin thing... um, people actually say that, all the time. I've heard the "phase" thing said by several of my friends, gay and straight, after they experimented with the opposite gender.

See, this whole thing is why I avoid sexism debates on the internet. Once someone pulls the sexism card, it's an absolute judgment that can apparently never be revoked or rethought. Unless you agree with the "person X is inarguably a sexist bigot deserving of nothing less than the torment of hell" argument, you simply can't win, and are usually declared a bigot yourself for defending such an apparently-terrible person.

This.

It's also why I try not to discuss politics here.