The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think "Blink" is a good enough argument against charges for Moffat being sexist.

I'm pretty sensitive to sexism in media, and I don't see it with Amy Pond. She'll need to get saved every now and then, sure, but that's a trope of the show not indicative to her gender. It's like Robin having to be saved by Batman every now and then. It doesn't denigrate the character, it establishes the series' status quo.

Trying to put my finger on what seems off about this episode, I think it's the fact that the episode is very simple and linear. Much like last season's episode 3 in fact (the pirate one). There's no overtly complex pseudo-science and the character moments of the Doctor, Amy & Rory are largely downplayed in favour of the plot. I liked the story, although it was nothing special - so cue the hysteria that this was a bad episode, which seems to be a recurring hallmark at the moment.

Trying to put my finger on what seems off about this episode, I think it's the fact that the episode is very simple and linear. Much like last season's episode 3 in fact (the pirate one). There's no overtly complex pseudo-science and the character moments of the Doctor, Amy & Rory are largely downplayed in favour of the plot. I liked the story, although it was nothing special - so cue the hysteria that this was a bad episode, which seems to be a recurring hallmark at the moment.

Your right, it's not a bad episode.

but there is nothing really memorable about it either, which all three episodes so far have in common. Also Amy had little to do this week and even worse Rory had nothing at all.

Getting a bit concerned about this choice of there not traveling with him all the time, yet he seems to pic them up from now and then for no real reason. Weird. If there isn't a reason for it, I'll be glad to see them go.

Getting a bit concerned about this choice of there not traveling with him all the time, yet he seems to pic them up from now and then for no real reason. Weird. If there isn't a reason for it, I'll be glad to see them go.

Funny you should mention that. Moffat

talked about it in an interview dealing with the coming of the next companion.

...one of the interesting things about writing the Doctor is that he’s so responsive to the people around him. It’s almost like left on his own his personality would slowly disintegrate. He becomes what people want him to be, a little bit. So he’s Amy’s Raggedy Doctor.

In [the first] five episodes [of Series 7] the Doctor is practically the adopted son of Amy and Rory. He’s gone from being the wonderful man from space – Space Gandalf, as he wants to be – to being that troublesome kid that they try and keep under control. They even talked about getting babysitters for him in one unfortunately cut scene. They love him, but they know he’s a big kid, they know they have to look out for him, check he eats and all that. Whereas with the new companion he’s back to being the mysterious spacefarer.

I'm 10 minutes away from watching a horribly misogynistic, evil television programme called 'Doctor Who', which is apparently serious business on the internet. Please pray for my soul.

The latest thing people are saying is the fact that Oswin was baking a souffle was sexist. They are saying that baking is a stereotypical thing for a woman to do.

Can we get past this already? I don't know why it has to be sexist if a female character acts feminine. Note that I'm not saying that they should act like a Puritan wife or something. But yes, women get scared and maybe even scream sometimes. Somes they even-oh god don't speak of it-cook. *shudder*

When a woman is depicted as being a domesticated maid, it's insulting. When a woman is criticized for being too feminine, it's more insulting.

Can we get past this already? I don't know why it has to be sexist if a female character acts feminine. Note that I'm not saying that they should act like a Puritan wife or something. But yes, women get scared and maybe even scream sometimes. Somes they even-oh god don't speak of it-cook. *shudder*

When a woman is depicted as being a domesticated maid, it's insulting. When a woman is criticized for being too feminine, it's more insulting.

I think everyone here, is making fun of the sexist debate, and not taking it seriously.

I think everyone here, is making fun of the sexist debate, and not taking it seriously.

Oh, no. I wasn't intending to direct that at anyone here. I was just saying that I was sick of the argument being made.