The Doctor Who thread

Janet Fielding (Tegan) has been diagnosed with cancer.

Oh lord...it's been a horrible couple of years for the actors from the classic series. Best thoughts and prayers for her.

That's horrible. But also very strange. They got Janet Fielding to do a Big Finish audio - can't remember which Doctor, might have been Davidson - which has a modern day Tegan finding herself involved with something and the Doctor shows up. It's not really a happy reunion. And it turns out Tegan has very recently been diagnosed with Cancer.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really liked The Power of Three. That's all I'll say until other folks start to chime in.

As for River, I think the most major points of her arc have been covered, but at the same time, I don't think that limits her future appearances. As long as the character isn't used as a crutch/as much as series 6, I'm fine with her making future guest appearances.

I thought it was rubbish. There were pieces of character moments that I liked, but the tone was so out of line with the previous three episodes that it was jarring, the plot was nonsensical, and the villain was terrible. And that last line, which anyone looking at the title could have figured out, was painful. I liked the motivations behind the character they introduced, but I don't know how I feel about them introducing that character.

I thought it was fine. I definitely liked that it had more of an even tone, compared to the endless thrillrides that were the last three episodes.

I really liked the stuff with the Ponds, and the examination of why the Doctor does what he does and why the companions follow him.

I really liked the idea that the Ponds had spent ten years of their own time with the Doctor; it's kind of a crazy thing to think about.

Basically, I liked everything except the main plot. It was just sort of there. Not bothersome, not entirely uninteresting. Exactly like the cubes themselves.

Considering where The Power of Three was in the season, it feels like it should have been the two-parter. If the episode had ended with the cubes going off and the Doctor having a Heart-Attack and they had spent the second half with that very compressed ending, it would have been better. As is, I actually enjoyed quite a bit about it. I like the idea of how much the Ponds have traveled with the Doctor. This has become their lives. Amy has effectively spent more of her adult life with The Doctor then not. As for the moments of downtime in the episode, I almost felt them necessary considering the nature of the invasion.

Also, am I wrong in thinking that A Town Called Mercy took place during the Anniversary Party considering the line about Rory leaving his phone charger at Henry VIII's?

So, having had a good 24 hours to process this, I think I have my reaction to The Power of Three.

The individual character moments for the Ponds and the Doctor? Fabulous. Yeah, the whole "we need to choose" thing seemed kind of sudden, even if it was awkwardly hammered in the last few eps. But it was kind of those quiet moments they needed, especially with next episode coming up. Also, liked Brian and the Doctor's conversation, given how many times Rory's died, and how close Amy's come to dying (especially with the God Complex, which I thought was the end of the Ponds in the TARDIS).

The overarching plot of the episode? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't even remember what the villain's end goal was or why. Don't much care, really.

Also, that last line was.... incredibly painful. I think I might've groaned out loud when they said it.

It feels like this was two very separate episodes that probably got melded together bc of it being their penultimate episode.

Looking quite forward to next week, even if it's the last we get till December.

The villains, The Shakri, wanted to kill humanity before they could expand outwards. I'm kinda thinking that this is the first appearance of our big villains of the series since they mention working for something called The Tally. Now, where have we seen Tally marks before recently...

river-song-amy-pond-tally-marks.jpg

So, maybe a hint at the return of The Silence?

Something else: Amy married Henry VIII. She would therefore be Elizabeth 1's Stepmother and therefore, she's the Doctor's Mother-in-law a second time.