The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TV Guide was, for many, many years, the single most read magazine in America. Being on the cover was a HUGE deal. However, ever since cable services rolled out the on screen channel guides (show listings were the magazine's reason for existing), it's devolved into a joke that the majority of people are not even aware it's still being published.

I wince whenever I see that because that's an issue of Warrior that Vyvian tore in half, Warrior being the original home of Marvelman and V For Vendetta. The style of Rik's dream sequence was actually used for a Dennis the Menace show a few years later, where they used puppets. just to be clear, when I say Dennis the Menace I mean this guy

Dennis-the-Menace-60th-birthday.jpg

TV Guide was, for many, many years, the single most read magazine in America. Being on the cover was a HUGE deal. However, ever since cable services rolled out the on screen channel guides (show listings were the magazine's reason for existing), it's devolved into a joke that the majority of people are not even aware it's still being published.

I stopped reading it a long time ago, and was shocked when I saw that they switched to a full size magazine. I don't know anyone that reads it because every provider has their own guides on the tv.

I see it next to the cashier every now and then, and I seriously can only think "It's cute that they're still trying."

However, it's amazing to me that Doctor Who is appearing on major, mainstream American magazines at all. Entertainment Weekly was a huge deal. Ten years ago this would never have crossed anyone's mind at all. Hell, two years ago. BBC America has promoted the bejeezus out of the show and it's got visibility in the States it has never had before.