The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing about Dr. Who I don't get is: He has a time machine. He's been all over the timeline. Why does he not know what's going on every time an alien attacks Earth? Surely while in the future he heard about the time billions of cubes showed up all over the planet for a year? How about all the times spaceships showed up over London? Is he constantly changing the timeline, and that's why he never heard about those things?

Time is somewhat fluid in DW, so yes. What happens in the moment of every episode is what's important.

And let's not forget that a lot of people have time travel, so the butterfly effect is constantly happening everywhere in the universe.

I've been annoyed at past "Doctor Who?" jokes, but I really really liked this one. Partly because it made sense and wasn't forced from Clara, and partially because it nicely represented the entire idea of Clara bringing the Doctor back to the version of himself that we all know and love. And it led straight into the new badass title sequence!

Really really liked the episode overall.

Overall I loved it. However...

I hope he finds one Clara and sticks with her. Because if she'd going to be dying - or left behind at the end of every episode - so a new Clara can show up in the next, that's going to get annoying really fast.

Having said that... Finding out how she/they is/are connected to Dalek!Oswin is something I'm interested in finding out.

Chris, what's the significance of the spoiler?

Just got done watching the late viewing of this on BBCA. A few thoughts.

-Clarawin is definitely growing on me from her last appearance, and I'm firmly in the liking her category, can't wait to see more of her. However, Moffat has a mold for his women companions, and it's getting kind of old. Also, not sure how to feel about the wish fulfillment aspect of her existence.

-Jenny and Vastra being married = YES

-I really hope we hear more from McKellan!Intelligence, that'd be pretty neat as an overarching season villain

-I don't want him to find Clarawin right away. Just have it be a few episodes of near misses.

-The preview for the rest of the season is looking awesome.

-That was FUN.

Probably my favorite of the Christmas specials that I've seen to this point. Not perfect, but pretty damn good. Also, I now consider "Castle on a Cloud" to potentially be about the Doctor. Shut up. :P

"Good evenng, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife"

"Sir, please do not noogie me during combat prep"

This is one of the most quotable episodes ever.

Love the look of some of the beasties from next year too. Gotta try to find some stills of those.

The blind gentlemen, the sonic aliens, the weird pincer creatures, they all look cool.

Probably the best Christmas special they've ever done (at least tied with A Christmas Carol, and leagues ahead of the nice-but-dull schmaltzfest that was last year's story). Loving all the new - titles, TARDIS (that shot!), Clara... all spot on.

Have to echo the praise for Strax, though thought Vastra and Jenny were a bit underused. Richard E Grant does withering very well, and I liked his look of childishness towards the end when Ian McKellen's voice disappeared for a bit.

So excited for the rest of the series - bring on the fiftieth!

Oh, also wanted to say that if they go down another romantic route, i can buy Smith falling for someone a lot more than Eccleston or Tennant, for some reason.

Also, I don't find the "Doctor who?" gag annoying, but as that is apparently The Question, which leads right up to the anniversary special, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Merry Christmas to all at Earth-2!

Just saw it and I was in heaven throught the whole show. REALLY damn fun.

Love Clara, LOVE that the face is back in the titles! Love the retro TARDIS again, love the more mysterious angle with the "taller on the inside" staircase, the whole thing was fantastic.

Everytime they pulled the "Doctor WHO?" gag I imagined Dan Toland falling over. I liked it at the beginning though when it resulted in Matt Smith going "WHAAA??!" right before the title sequence.

And yeah, I wouldn't mind if Clara and the Doctor got romantic together. She's extremely smart and inquisitive, and carries her weight in a manner where it makes sense for 11 to like her in that way. By the end of the episode I was practically shipping them.

This episode was delirious fun, enjoed the hell outta it.

Just saw it and I was in heaven throught the whole show. REALLY damn fun.

Love Clara, LOVE that the face is back in the titles! Love the retro TARDIS again, love the more mysterious angle with the "taller on the inside" staircase, the whole thing was fantastic.

Everytime they pulled the "Doctor WHO?" gag I imagined Dan Toland falling over. I liked it at the beginning though when it resulted in Matt Smith going "WHAAA??!" right before the title sequence.

And yeah, I wouldn't mind if Clara and the Doctor got romantic together. She's extremely smart and inquisitive, and carries her weight in a manner where it makes sense for 11 to like her in that way. By the end of the episode I was practically shipping them.

This episode was delirious fun, enjoed the hell outta it.

It was really good. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with this.