The Doctor Who thread

Been listening to eighth doctor audio adventures, great to see Susan brought back into the mix. Not sure about the final episode To the Death though. It seems like a remarkably silly evil plan.

daleks turning earth into a mobile plague planet is just bizarre. Why not just use missiles to infect other planets rather than converting an already populated one and taking it for a galactic joyride to wipe out all life. Logistically its a shit idea.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That reminds me, I don't think I ever mentioned this on the boards; I have been watching some Classic Who and listening to Big Finish, thanks to that Internet Fairy that we all love. I've seen all the Doctors in some capacity.

• First-First part of Unearthly Child, The Daleks, The Aztecs, The Keys of Marinus
  • Second-Tomb of the Cybermen
  • Fourth-Robot,Genesis of the Daleks,Horror of Fang Rock
  • Sixth-Revelation of the Daleks
  • Seventh-Delta, Happiness Patrol, Fenric
  • Eighth-The Movie

On DVD, I have Pyramids, The Five Doctors, Remembrance, and Battlefield. The two Big Finishes I've listened to are Brotherhood of the Daleks(6. Good luck making sense of it) and An Earthly Child(8 meeting Susan and her son. Really good)

It's funny you mentioned McCoy, since he's the Doctor I've really taken to. I know he's not the best, but I still get a thrill seeing him.

Probably should be stated that, while there's been bad episodes of Doctor Who, there's never been a bad Doctor. Every one of them has brought something different to the role and every one of them has done well with it (though with Doctors 6 and 8, the Big Finish stuff has been more helpful with it). McCoy gets a bad rap because he was the Doctor when the show went off the air, but the BBC was determined to kill it at that point any way after Michael Grade's regime of terror. Andrew Cartmell had tried his best to make it more intriguing, but it was equivalent to WCW's dying days where it didn't matter how good the shows were, the damage had been done.

One thing I really appreciated about McCoy's run was that Ace was a much more active companion. She's very much an anachronism of the 80s (the leather jacket, the beatbox) but she was surprisingly complex and flawed and more than a little ballsy (can't imagine any other companion before or since taking a baseball bat, even one modified by the Doctor to a Dalek). Her sole purpose wasn't just to ask the Doctor questions thereby giving him an indirect method of explaining things to the audience.

"It is a weakness, this lack of spirit!"

"Try me."

"Listen to me, Morgaine. Leave my world, or your son dies."

"Ah, little man. What do you want of me?"

"Get off my world!"

"Pitiful! Can this world do no better then you as a champion?"

"Probably. I just do the best I can."

Watched the Dalek invasion of earth and liked it, although the six parts did stretch my attention span a little. Plus the overall production of the show improved greatly by the second doctors time, which is why I find it far easier to enjoy those stories. Amazed by Ian though, he seems to be the most competant companion of all time.