The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a pretty sweet moment.

Apparently he was originally supposed to be deaf (hence his not talking), but that was written out. So what we're left with is a brual, thuggish black giant who is barely verbal. His few lines are all of the "Toberman smash!" variety (and he does, indeed, refer to himself in the third person). It's an entertaining enough story, and you're right, he doesn't completely ruin it, but... yikes.

Go to Netflix. Start with the beginning of the new series ("Rose") and keep going from there.

I dont think Rose is a good place to start anymore. From what I can see, many new fans, now look at the first couple of series. In the same way a lot of new fans looked at the classic series back in 2005. viewing it as corny and cheap looking. Now its the RTD fans turn to get defencive.

According to BBC America's website, the next Doctors Revisited (for Jon Pertwee) is airing on Sunday, March 31 (the day after Series Seven returns with "The Bells of St John").

No word on what Pertwee's story will be as yet, though I would bet cash money it'll be a remastered Spearhead From Space.

Also, here. Have a new Ice Warrior.

577834_557405667625674_301068296_n.jpg

According to BBC America's website, the next Doctors Revisited (for Jon Pertwee) is airing on Sunday, March 31 (the day after Series Seven returns with "The Bells of St John").

No word on what Pertwee's story will be as yet, though I would bet cash money it'll be a remastered Spearhead From Space.

Also, here. Have a new Ice Warrior.

577834_557405667625674_301068296_n.jpg

Are those actual hands, with all the fingers?

And yes, Seconded: :buttrock:

I like that they've done away with the hair poking out from under the armor. That made no sense. Also, it's considerably less...well, fat.

The sharp teeth seen in the earlier promo pic is pretty badass as well. All in all, I'm digging the look.

Go to Netflix. Start with the beginning of the new series ("Rose") and keep going from there.

I dont think Rose is a good place to start anymore. From what I can see, many new fans, now look at the first couple of series. In the same way a lot of new fans looked at the classic series back in 2005. viewing it as corny and cheap looking. Now its the RTD fans turn to get defencive.

I think the important factor, though, is that Rose serves as a perfect introduction to the DW mythos. The Eleventh Hour doesn't really have that same type of intro.

It varies from person to person, though. I have a friend who saw The Eleventh Hour as his first DW and didn't care, but was really interested after seeing Rose because that story actually took you through the proper motions of getting to know the Doctor. But there may be plenty who react otherwise.

Hmm, I hate to sound like the grumpy old school fan that I am lol. But I don't like it. I'm hoping its just the traditional new who "bad promo pic" as with the first photos of the cybermen and the sontarans, which then looked much better onscreen.

I think it looks too rubbery, I don't like the loss of the hair. And while they have slimmed the body down, the shoulders are still wide which gives it an odd proportion. And I miss the Lego hands

Remembrance of the daleks is a superb book, I completely recommend it. I've not read the others (I only read the NAs, when the license went back to the BBC I stopped reading regularly).

And in other news, I see from Doctor Who magazine that the Ice Warriors will be voiced, not by the actors playing them, but by guess who? Nick Briggs. Is anyone else as sick as I am at him voicing pretty much every alien since the show came back? It's one of the nice things about the Ood, them using a different actor to do all the voices. Maybe it's just that I find him irritating in interviews clouds my judgement lol

Called it. That will indeed be the story they show.

And in other news, I see from Doctor Who magazine that the Ice Warriors will be voiced, not by the actors playing them, but by guess who? Nick Briggs. Is anyone else as sick as I am at him voicing pretty much every alien since the show came back? It's one of the nice things about the Ood, them using a different actor to do all the voices.

I am too. I also like the Sontarans because they're not voiced by him.

Nick Briggs did a lot of work during the wilderness years to keep fandom excited, and was instrumental in the early success of Big Finish, and he does pretty great Dalek voices, so I understand giving him the work.

But yes, it's time to give other voice artists a chance.

Nick Briggs did a lot of work during the wilderness years to keep fandom excited, and was instrumental in the early success of Big Finish, and he does pretty great Dalek voices, so I understand giving him the work.

But yes, it's time to give other voice artists a chance.

I'm fine with him doing Dalek voices (although I'd love to see them get someone else to do them alongside him to give a little variety, the way they did throughout the classic series). I just want more variety throughout :)

I also find it bizarre theyre using a voice over for the Ice Warriors because looking at the pics they're like the originals with the whole chin and mouth visible. Why not let the actors do the voices (and treat them a little if needed). That worked fine for all the previous versions.