The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, he has a really good voice for the show, and based on Cold War, and if he's tapped to take over after Moffat, as I've heard more than once, I would be okay with that.

Seconded.

If he does take over I think it would be in good hands. He has a genuine love of the character and although some of his stories have miss fired, he does seem to have a good grasp on what the show could be.

As great as it was to see him, I was distracted by David Warner's presence. I kept waiting for him to call The Doctor "detective" just before revealing his part in the catastrophe.

And yeah, what the hell did he add to the episode? It was such an odd casting choice.

Yeah, he'd have been a better featured guest in another episode. They really didn't need to stock the boat with Liam Cunningham and Tobias Menzies AND David Warner. I mean, that's a fantastic cast for an ongoing show by itself, Menzies was Brutus in HBO's Rome and both he and Cunningham have ongoing parts in Game of Thrones. It's nice to have a great cast but this seemed at little wasteful.

Partially he was there to give Clara someone to talk to throughout the episode but I think he was also there to humanize the Russians. As Westerners, the Russians are always going to be the villain in a Cold War story. The Professor was there to show that they didn't want to destroy all Western Culture.

His love of contemporary Western pop music was a nice touch, I thought. This was an era when 60s Beatles albums were being smuggled into the county, so the idea that this was an academic who was able to get his hands on current music was a really great character note.

A few thoughts on "Hide", spoiler tagged for those who haven't seen it.

With the Metebelis III stuff, it was nice seeing visual callbacks to the IRIS machine headset that the Doctor used in Planet of the Spiders and that Professor Clegg died whilst hooked up to (when the Prof handled the Great Crystal); and also the headresses with a stone in worn by Arak and the other Metebelis humans to resist the spider's psychic power attacks.

I don't know if this is intentional, but the 50th anniversary year is certainly celebrating the past. If last week was a Troughton base-under-siege, this was a full-blown Baker/Hinchcliffe/Holmes "horror in a country house" story.

It bugged me that Smith pronounced it "Me-TEH-bil-is" instead of Pertwee's "Met-eh-BEE-lis". Yes, I am a nerd.

The Hider was freaking creepy. The noises, the skittery side walking, the jump cuts. It all worked. Until it stood still and derped at the Doctor. That was less effective.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

I don't know if this is intentional, but the 50th anniversary year is certainly celebrating the past. If last week was a Troughton base-under-siege, this was a full-blown Baker/Hinchcliffe/Holmes "horror in a country house" story.

I haven't seen Hide yet, but from the promos, I got a strong Pyramids of Mars vibe from it.

Now that you say it, I can see what you mean. Bells of St John and Rings of Akhaten felt like Pertwee stories(at least, from what I know)

Okay, just saw it, and I thought it was great. I think it's the second best so far, behind The Snowmen.

The bit with the Doctor in the pocket dimension was genuinely unsettling. The twist was really unnecessary, though.