The Doctor Who thread

It bugged me that Smith pronounced it "Me-TEH-bil-is" instead of Pertwee's "Met-eh-BEE-lis". Yes, I am a nerd.

I thought that was a homage to McCoy not being able to pronounce "Spiridon" in "Remembrance of the Daleks". Let alone Pertwee's "chitinous" in "The Green Death". Perhaps it was the third Doctor who got Metebelis's pronunciation wrong?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was the only thing that really annoyed me about this episode, and it meant I missed a bit because I was ranting about it. But I loved it as a refernce, Doctor Who this series (and actually since Moffat took over the main role) has become very good with references to the past 50 years.

It also annoys me how we don't know why Clara is still travelling with the Doctor, the last we saw in Akhatan was Clara saying goodbye to the Doctor and then she appears in Cold War with no explanation. Maybe she's travelling with the Doctor during the day and being dropped off back at home to look after the kids over night.

It bugged me that Smith pronounced it "Me-TEH-bil-is" instead of Pertwee's "Met-eh-BEE-lis". Yes, I am a nerd.

I thought that was a homage to McCoy not being able to pronounce "Spiridon" in "Remembrance of the Daleks". Let alone Pertwee's "chitinous" in "The Green Death". Perhaps it was the third Doctor who got Metebelis's pronunciation wrong?

I'm kind of hoping that Clara actually makes the Doctor answer her about why he thinks he knows her and why he was basically stalking her throughout her childhood, cause seriously, that's kind of creepy, and she's being written to be smart and witty and generally capable, but somehow just breezes over this?

It was when she didn't have a problem with him being outside her house and answering her phone that annoyed me. I mean we all know the Doctor wasn't being a full on creepy stalker but she didn't. Anyone would be freaked out if someone you didn't know -whose also more than slightly odd - says they are going to wait outside your house all day.

It are genius. For those not in the know, Chrononauts is a game where you try to rearrange history to fit your goals, so for example assassinating Hitler might work but it has a huge knock-on effect through until 1945. As might saving the Titanic or something along those lines. There's already a Back to the Future version of this (which is going to be amazing when I play it I'm sure) but the Time War would be epic.

Not quite what I was expecting from Journey to the centre of the Tardis but still a solid episode.

I think you could of removed the 3 brothers from this episode and you wouldn't of lost a thing. They never really added anything to the plot. If only they never had the mini episodes of Time and Space from a few years ago. That idea could have been used for the start of this as to why the Tardis throws a wobbler. Trapping them in a loop potentially never being able to exit her. Would have gone well with the whole Tardis not liking Clara thing.

So excited for next weeks episode.

Also

Who wrote the History of the Time War? and why would the Doctor keep a book on display that reveals his true name if it's such a big secret?

Liked the idea of liquid knowledge spilling out in the Library

Maybe somebody in the future decided to write about the Time War and the Doctor, when all of that is common knowledge by that point, and the Doctor decided to take a copy? No clue why it's out in the open, though.

I just watched this and I thought it was okay. It had some nice moments and effects, but I didn't find it that engaging.

My biggest issue with it was the pressing the reset button. Ugh. I want them to actually deal with the multiple Claras. The only thing that makes it somewhat tolerable is that there seem to be some ramifications at the end. So maaaybe she still remembers but I doubt it.

Couple of observations:

-Woo, Seven's umbrella! I wish it was the iconic red question mark version, but still, as a Seven fanboy I appreciated that.

-The clips from the previous Doctors and companions were nice, although it was hard to make out the voices.

-The thing with the monsters being shot with jerking camera movements and the distortion felt a bit too repetitive of the last one. I don't know what to think of their origin.

That he will play the real 9th Doctor who fought in the Time War and that Eccleston was in fact the 10th Doctor, and Tennant 11th and Smith 12th.

I like John Hurt and just to have him on a Who episode is awesome

but if he plays the so called real 9th Doctor it seems like putting a big name actor in the part of the Doctor for the sake of it. If they wanted to explore the Time War era they should use the 8th Doctor. He's still not too old and no one saw how he regenerated into 9 so its all still plausible.

He's dressed as a priest! Why does anyone think he's a Doctor? Besides, using McGann as the 8th would be a bigger deal than having John Hurt in Doctor Who, so why would they do it the other way?

I just don't see them messing with the numbering when each Doctor is so clearly identified with their number.

He's dressed as a priest! Why does anyone think he's a Doctor? Besides, using McGann as the 8th would be a bigger deal than having John Hurt in Doctor Who, so why would they do it the other way?

I just don't see them messing with the numbering when each Doctor is so clearly identified with their number.

Exactly.