The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't decide if that's a horrible thing to do to people just trying to watch DW or an amazing thing to do to all the jerks trying to sneak a peek too early.

I get the sentiment, but more than one little kid is going to be exposed to it that way.

Ah. Good point. The first of the two options, then.

Interesting speculation about the trailer here.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/there-could-be-something-amazing-hidden-in-next-weeks-503083269

I'm so unobservant I didn't even spot Bessie, so quite how people spot that a tree in the background is the similar as one in a previous story is beyond me :). Interesting theory though

I dug Nightmare in Silver by and large, but those kids were obnoxious as shit.

I also think Clara is a bit too uppity. Perhaps it's due to her multiple character we've seen throughout the season, but she comes off as super cool in situations that had the Ponds screaming. I would prefer her to be a bit more freaked out at the possibility of a war with Cybermen.

Finally got a chance to see this, and I actually enjoyed it. No, it wasn't "The Doctor's Wife", but chances are there will never be another "Doctor's Wife" ever.

Alfie was fine. I've long thought you could have a kid on the TARDIS for an episode or two and not end the world over it. Angie, on the other hand, needs to be boiled alive.

LOVED the new Cybermen. I love the way they moved. Not the superspeed - that effect was shaky at best, although it's nice that they can finally ditch the zombie walk - but the fact that the actor in the suit can actually move his body around. This is the first time the Cybermen seemed to pose a serious threat since "Earthshock", and possibly even "The Invasion".

This is also the first time I really had a really good feeling about Clara. I've been kind of meh on her at best, but I quite liked her here.

And I always forget that I really dig Warwick Davis.

Also, re: "The Cybermen are just the Borg"... yes. That is absolutely accurate. The Borg were a fairly blatant ripoff of the Cybermen, and there have been people at Trek who will gladly cop to this. Doesn't matter. No one cares that John Carter fought monsters in an alien arena a hundred years before Anakin Skywalker did. The fact is that the later property has overtaken the older one, and that's happened here as well. Quite frankly, making the Cybermen even more like the Borg was probably not a bad thing. Giving them motivation for all their stomping around makes them more interesting.

Davis was a remarkably good actor in this. I need to re-watch Willow.

I enjoyed this episode, and I enjoyed Warwick - understated acting without being wooden, his experience really shows. About time we had a smaller companion in the TARDIS, I'd say. Can we have him back for a season? (Donna came back after guesting.)

The kids? They were just kids. Most kids are a bit obnoxious. Personally I have more issues with the way they were written, though smart-alecky/wise-cracky seems to be the NuWho house style these days (years).

Davis was a remarkably good actor in this. I need to re-watch Willow.

I enjoyed this episode, and I enjoyed Warwick - understated acting without being wooden, his experience really shows. About time we had a smaller companion in the TARDIS, I'd say. Can we have him back for a season? (Donna came back after guesting.)

The kids? They were just kids. Most kids are a bit obnoxious. Personally I have more issues with the way they were written, though smart-alecky/wise-cracky seems to be the NuWho house style these days (years).

Yeah that's something of a constant with NuWho in general. New characters are always given this stupid, self-inflated sense of superiority. S' probably why I was annoyed at Clara being in charge, because there was no apparent reason aside from "she's the companion" and yet she acted like big shit.

This episode is to the Doctor what The Doctor's Wife was to the Tardis. It's also the best season finale under Moffat.

edit- OK, I wrote that ten minutes before the end. My reaction now?

WHOA. This is a big one guys.

The idea that the Doctor loses that name has been referenced before with the Valeyard, but this is the payoff for that. They're actually paying off Trial of a Time Lord! Interesting to see he has other names as well, The Beast and one other I'm forgetting. What the heck was it?

The Storm, that was it. That's one's been referenced, as has the Valeyard (somewhere between his 12 and 13th regeneration seems pretty close now). So at some point he'll be the Beast, possibly the John Hurt version. How is all this going to work!? ARGH! Haven't been this pumped about Who in a while.

So many thoughts...must jot them down so someone can tell me if I'm missing anything:

If we know that Tennant and Piper in November special aren't the two from the alternative reality at the end of Series 4 then the special must be set (in part at least) in the Doctor's time stream in order that they are their actual character selves.

Also I'm thinking that John Hurt 'as the Doctor' (HOW badass was that!?) is the man that the Doctor was before he chose the name 'The Doctor', as in before William Hartnell there was a man. And that man was John Hurt. John Motherfucking Hurt.

Apologies if all this was obvious, now we wait until November... Sodding November!!

I thought it was who he was after, because Hurt was the one who LOST the name through his actions. I'm thinking that Doctor Eleven dies next season, turns into Hurt, then by the end of the season Hurt dies doing something heroic and his regeneration reclaims the name and becomes the 12th Doctor.

I don't know, I'm all over the place on this. I'm sure I'll have a better idea after I rewatch all this.

Hmmm. For introducing interesting ideas this episode was fun but i'm still not sure about this story or most of this season.

Loved the idea of the massive Tardis tomb being his grave. Liked that we didn't see a body just the scar of his time stream. The great intelligence really was of no use what so ever unless they pay that off in the 50th and yet again Vastra, Strax and Jenny had next to nothing to do at all. The whole impossible girl thread amounted to nothing, again unless they pay it off in the next one which I doubt. Was cool to see John Hurt teased at the end though. Didn't expect that or him turning up until the 50th

Ok, so that was quite frankly brilliant and genuis and all bow to Moffat for giving us this episode. This episode reminded me as to why he was in charge and why we all had trust in him when he started. Not that I thought he'd completly lost it before this point just that it was most obvious in this episode

yes the Great Intelligence wasn't really worth much in this episode but there did need to be a monster to force the Doctor to visit Trensilore.

And they did River right! For the first time ever I actually thought she was useful and was well done. I've not liked her from the beginning -enjoying the concept but not the character. So because of that I've never liked River/Doctor but in this episode and more especially in that scene my heart was breaking.
AND THE ENDING OH MY GOD. AT NO POINT WAS I EXPECTING THAT - I've been staying away from spoilers and theories about the 50th and just for that pay off I'm glad.

This episode is to the Doctor what The Doctor's Wife was to the Tardis. It's also the best season finale under Moffat.

edit- OK, I wrote that ten minutes before the end. My reaction now?

WHOA. This is a big one guys.

The idea that the Doctor loses that name has been referenced before with the Valeyard, but this is the payoff for that. They're actually paying off Trial of a Time Lord! Interesting to see he has other names as well, The Beast and one other I'm forgetting. What the heck was it?

The Storm, that was it. That's one's been referenced, as has the Valeyard (somewhere between his 12 and 13th regeneration seems pretty close now). So at some point he'll be the Beast, possibly the John Hurt version. How is all this going to work!? ARGH! Haven't been this pumped about Who in a while.

I don't think he loses the name. He chooses a different one. He said he broke the promise of the Doctor, implying it was changed by choice. Remember he said the name you choose is a promise, so choosing The Doctor means he made a promise to help people.