The Doctor Who thread

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see that when we got home! It'll be interesting to see what happens as I'm starting to get tired of the 11th Doctor. I'd like to see an older Doctor again, but I trust the BBC to make the right choice.
And yeah it'd be cool if the 12th Doctor was hanging around in the 50th but we didn't know it till afterwards - someone you don't even realise is on screen until you know to look out for him.

Quick question though, Dan and Mike are you annoyed that you recorded BOTI early? You seem to have missed the big Doctor Who news...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick question though, Dan and Mike are you annoyed that you recorded BOTI early? You seem to have missed the big Doctor Who news...

I'm wondering now if plans are being made to extend BOTI's current run to 141 shows before its hiatus to give Smith a proper send off, rather than waiting until whenever they pick up the show again.

I can't speak for Mike, but this is not the first time something like this has happened. As a fortnightly show, it's very common for news to be older by the time we're able to comment on it. We're not doing a news show, so when this happens, yeah, we would like to be more on top of it, but our primary goal is to discuss the stories themselves. However, that only means that when we get to 140, we can discuss the Smith era in its entirety, and perhaps have a new outlook when the time comes to jump back in after Series Eight.

935805_600892233277017_507139178_n_zps8a

This image sums up exactly how I feel about the insanity that has (or soon will) befallen the entire British press and all of DW fandom. I'm a Doctor Who fan but I could give a crap about who everybody on the internet thinks should be Twelve, ESPECIALLY the ones who don't stand a chance in hell (Helen Mirren and Idris Elba I'm looking at you).

Someone wake me when its over will you?

The BBC News article has suggested that Billie Piper's been a contender, not only for Doctor #12, but was one for #11. The lesson here is: a) bookmakers are scandalous chancers who don't deserve your money, and b) the media thrives on bullshit speculation.

Heck, those two rules apply outside of Doctor Who.

The BBC News article has suggested that Billie Piper's been a contender, not only for Doctor #12, but was one for #11. The lesson here is: a) bookmakers are scandalous chancers who don't deserve your money, and b) the media thrives on bullshit speculation.

Dude...I was typing about the ridiculous naming of Billie Piper just now. There must be some kind of connection between us...

The key word is 'speculate'. I could speculate that the next Doctor will be Wayne Knight but it doesn't make it any more likely to happen.

They apply for pretty much every facet of our lives.

This speculation shouldn't annoy me, but it does. Sorry but the Doctor is a male character. That doesn't mean I don't like strong women or than I think of myself as protecting traditional gender roles. For me it's like if in the Star Trek reboot everyone was talking about how Spock should be a female character this time, it's just not what they are. I'm certain people could read all sorts of bullshit into that opinion. Hell, I don't care if the companion is female or not, I've no strong feelings on that, nor do I think that the classic definition of a companion who is an assistant to the doctor is required. Donna Noble strongly defied that.

If you're going to perpetuate a classic property from a period where gender roles determined the dynamics of the roles then sorry, but you're going to have to live with that to some extent.

Its not an absolute thing either, I'm not going to be a petulant fanboy and quit if they cast a woman, I'd watch on the merits of the show. I just wouldn't agree with the decision.

They established in the Doctor's Wife that Timelords aren't bound by their gender during regeneration. I think that was a pretty important line to get in there and obviously Moffatt agreed to it because otherwise he wouldn't have left the line in. I think it's ridiculous to limit an alien who can regenerate their entire body including hair, teeth, eye colour, height and build to one gender and one race. If the Doctor can't regenerate into a woman then you're literally halving your casting choices for the next Doctor, which is frankly ridiculous.

Did Moffat get that in? Hey look, my thinking on this is just that if that's the case the doctor has chosen to be male in 13 regenerations now if you include John Hurt and the Valeyard. There's something to that from a continuity standpoint. Although as I said I'm not going to go all Ann Widdicombe and quit just because they appoint a woman.

If the Doctor acquires boobies (proper boobies, man-boobs are perfectly acceptable) I will ragequit and write an incendiary blog post that will surely change Steven Moffat's mind!

In all seriousness, he's been male for fifty years, and my first reaction to an announcement of a female Doctor would probably be less than open-minded. It would have to be a hell of an actress to get me to get over it. Such as, say, when they cast an incredibly young actor, and it didn't fit with the picture I had in my head, and I grumbled, and it turned out this Smith kid was actually kind of all right.

Don't cast a woman for the sake of press, cast one because she's clearly the right choice, and everything will work out.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I remember Moffat saying that he wanted to cast someone who was about 40-50 to be an older professor type but Smith ended up blowing them away. I'm hoping for a similar thing here with a truly open casting call. They were right with Eccleston and they were right with Tennant and they were right with Smith, so I'd imagine that whoever they pick next will be the perfect choice and will often end up being better than the material as is the tradition with all of the Doctors.

Sure but most male actors wouldn't make a good doctor either. For instance I like Alfie Allen, i think he's a terrific actor but he would be wrong as the Doctor. Twenty years ago Joanna Lumley would have made a great eighth Doctor but Dervla Kirwan wouldn't. I'm hoping for a complete unknown who everyone will think is absolutely wrong for the part until the end of their first episode, at which point everyone agrees they were right for the part after all.

I guess I can't envision a female doctor. I may believe when I'm shown it, but I can't see it now. Maybe it'll be like with Dax, lifetimes in a young attractive package. That would be weird, I don't want to be attracted to the Doctor. It'd be like when the crew of ds9 were shipping Sisko and Dax, I can't see them that way.