The Doctor Who thread

I like Dan's theory:

How many regenerations are we up to? I think the max for a Time Lord is 13.

Tennant is 10 out of 13, but it'll take a half decent writer about two minutes to come up with a way around that. One theory that's been floating around is that since the 12 regeneration limit is an arbitratry one enforced by the Time Lords to prevent anyone from living forever and becoming too powerful, or some such, the fact that there are no Time Lords to enforce this means that the Doctor is free to do what he needs to do.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will love it if he refers to himself as an old man a lot also. When you think about it, it has to be weighing on The Doctor's mind that he's nearing the end of it all. Eleven will only have two more regenerations before that's it, even less if the regeneration that created the Human Doctor in "Journey's End" counted as one. I hope this is something that gets addressed because if we get a Fourteenth Doctor with no explanation, then you're just ignoring part of the established mythos.

It'll be a story, but its not like they'll end it there. The Master was once offered new lives from the Time Lords so there is a precedent.

This really feels like the closest thing we've had to a fresh start since the modern series began, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit, which is remarkable since I didn't even watch the last Tennant special. Fresh young new assistant, Doctor, Tardis and show runner, it has a lot of promise.

Have we seen that seal during the First Doctor's run, 'cause I don't recall it.

Yeah, it's been there, but they don't spend a lot of time pointing the camera at the TARDIS. I noticed it at the end of The War Machines, when the Doctor was waiting for Dodo to show up.

Yeah, if the two Cushing movies have one strength then it's that we get to see a lot of elements of not-so-authentic 60s Who with a great picture. I mean, the inside of the Tardis looks like Willy Wonka's testing room but we get to see some great exterior shots. I can't hate those movies though, as a kid that was my first exposure to The Dalek Invasion of Earth. I was Doctor Who mad despite only having some grubby tapes of Planet of the Daleks and The Sea Devils to go on. When I found Invasion Earth it seemed incredible. It wasn't until the TV Movie came along that I figured out the Doctor was an alien.

Yeah, he's the doctor from my childhood. For some reason he got all the repeats by the BBC after the show was cancelled. Mccoy got the axe when I was two so I was in the first generation not to get their own incarnation. The third doctor was my hero, mainly because he defeated the Sea Devils and they scared the crap out of me at four years old.