The Doctor Who thread

Oh, I know that the actors are warned going in that this is going to be fucking grueling. As you say, Tennant aged ten years in his three-plus seasons. It's true that being told "this is really gonna suck, you guys" is nowhere near as effective as looking back after the fact and realizing just how badly you were put through the ringer.

And yes, the BBC is far more to blame for things. I think it's true that when Moffat took over it got exponentially worse - Smith's publicity and touring commitments were far, far longer and more exhausting than Tennant's had been, and Tennant's were pretty bad - but you're right, that has to be laid much more strongly at the Beeb's feet.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't stop watching that animated video. I like how Clara's wearing a sweater with a "?" on it, as both a symbol of the companion and a reminder of the JNT days where all the doctors wore that on their clothes.

I gotta be honest guys, I'm very unsure about an older Doctor taking the reins in this modern age. Having gotten into the show in the modern era, I'm sure my trepidations are largely unfounded, but since Capaldi is the oldest actor cast I'm concerned how long he can keep at the job. I'm also wondering if an older Doctor can connect with modern viewers who are used to their Doctors embodying an old man in a young man's body. Not saying this is doomed to fail, but I am a bit anxious over it.

I can understand your concerns. As an old-timer who's historically more used to older Doctors than you are, this didn't faze me (unlike, frankly, the initial news of Matt Smith's casting, the first time ever a Doctor was younger than me). On top of which, Capaldi is A) terrifically charismatic and B) enormously energetic, so I'm inclined to think he can keep up. However, yeah, I completely get what you're saying.

We'll know in a couple of weeks.

Go watch In the Thick of It and/or In the Loop. Honestly, Capaldi's performance as Malcom Tucker is what sold me on him as the Doctor. And frankly, the fact that he seems to be actively fighting against most of the bullshit that Moffat's pulled in the last few years makes me encouraged for the series to come.

(Plus, not gonna lie, my dream is Capaldi going full Malcom on Moffat.)

And Capaldi is 56, i don't think he'll be keeling over on set,

The episode titles and writers are:

1 - Deep Breath (by Steven Moffat)
2 - Into The Dalek (by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat)
3 - Robot Of Sherwood (by Mark Gatiss)
4 - Listen (by Steven Moffat)
5 - Time Heist (by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat)
6 - The Caretaker (by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat)
7 - Kill The Moon (by Peter Harness)
8 - Mummy On The Orient Express (by Jamie Mathieson)
9 - Flatline (by Jamie Mathieson)
10 - In The Forest Of The Night (by Frank Cottrell Boyce)
11/12 - Dark Water/Death In Heaven (by Steven Moffat)

No, the showrunner typically writes or co-writes about half the season. This is pretty normal.

Cool, looking forward to the Gatiss episode. I like the sound of the title and I've been a fan of a lot of episodes he's written.

Same here. That one sounds like a lot of fun.