The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inferior, how? He's human, he'll age along side her and (I'm assuming) be able to give her children. Plus, she gets her long dead father back, and lives on a world where she's a hero. Sure, it's not cruising in the TARDIS for eternity, but it's still a pretty fan-fictiony ending.

Inferior, how? He's human, he'll age along side her and (I'm assuming) be able to give her children.

He's literally not the same guy she fell in love with. He might have a lot of the same memories, but we already see in the episode that he's willing to make different choices than the Doctor would. The Doctor basically said, "well, hey, you can't have me, but here's my brother. You can date him instead. Good? Good. Cool. Bye."

I always wanted that alternate Doctor to show up again later during Eleven's era and turn out to be evil (or at least morally-gray), if only to see David Tennant play an amoral (but still charming) Tenth Doctor.

Sort of possibly a spoiler because I can't remember when stuff happens so Preston might not be there yet.

Rose got a fairy tale that will inevitably turn sour (she'll get bored of the black and white low-grade reprint). Donna got a tragedy that in the end gave her happiness (marriage, lottery win, forgetting the horrors she's seen, etc).

I tend to think that Rose was too idealised to end in a bad way, but Donna was a proper character who earned that big heartbreaking moment.

Considering where he falls into The Doctor's regeneration cycle, the Meta-Crisis Doctor could eventually turn into The Valeyard.

It'd be amazing to see in 10 years if a meta-crisis Doctor who is mortal but still lived hundreds of eyes past Rose (but aged enough to look like Tennant at that point) came back with a more permanent agenda. Perhaps he's bitter about why the doctor does, putting out fires but not preventing them. Ascribe it to his more immediate time limit, he needs to help whilst he's still there. Heck, he's already shown he'll go further than the normal doctor. He could show up, wipe out a noted species eg go back and prevent the Cybers existing (ala Genesis of the Daleks). This is the doctor who would make that choice. Clash of ideologies and we get a great series of episodes with his actions being the thing tying that series together.

I figure it's one of those things where one asks if the pathos and drama of the tragedy justify the loss itself. Thinking about it now, I guess not. She saved the universe but the story cruelly kills her developed self almost out of spite. IDK, I never thought it was a bad thing to do writing wise, but it is incredibly dickish to the Doctor, Donna, and us all.

I'm with Preston, what happened to Donna was a waste of a great character.

Tragic: yes. Waste: I don't think so. Catherine Tate was only ever a one season deal and seeing as how Donna had grown into such a fulfilled and enriched person taking her back to square one was a good way to explain why she wouldn't be back.

...until she was brought back for 'End of Time'. That was a waste.

On a related note, I went to see a production of Shakespeare's 'Much Ado About Nothing' (My favourite Shakespeare play) with Tennant as Benedict and Tate as Beatrice.

Needless to say, they were both brilliant. And much to my surprise, showed me that Tate can act. And really damn well.