The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed it; not sure if I'd call it the best Christmas episode, but then, none of them have been outright terrific. Thoughts:

* The monsters were a tad derivative, as a hybrid of Xenomorphs, the plant from For The Man Who Has Everything and an inversion of past Moffat monsters like the Angels/Silence. But whilst they provide the central conceit of the episode, they weren't front and centre, which makes me feel like they're a one-off villain.

* Nick Frost was fun and I liked the mystery around the presence of a live action Santa/Elves/Reindeer. It also led to the visual of Twelve driving Santa's sleigh, despite himself.

* Clara continues to be used strongly and the lies that she and Twelve exchanged in the season finale get addressed.

* Whilst bringing Danny back for a dream sequence could be considered cheap, he was effective in the time he had. And in that dreaming was the episode's central conceit, I really didn't mind.

* Considering the tone of Series 8, I liked the fact that the episode ended on an optimistic beat.

Yes, I liked this a lot, and it was certainly a lot better received in the Paterson household than last year's (which finished with a 'what the hell was that about?'). I disagree that all the Xmas specials have been rubbish - A Christmas Carol was perfect.

Shona irritated me at first, but grew on me as time went on. And I was totally wrong-footed with Clara - I really thought this was the end for her. And unlike some (who I don't understand) I am glad she's still around. Since Day of the Doctor she's been a fantastic companion. Better than Cheaty Pond by a country mile.

I've seen people say that the dreaming bits went too far and that the old woman dream should've been the end for Clara. With the former, maybe, but that didn't retract my enjoyment of the episode. With the latter, I Iiked how it turned out, and it was kinda cool since Jenna Coleman's attachment to the series has been purposefully obfuscated for months now. It'll be cool to see her more willing to hang with the Doctor after a shaky relationship in season 8.