The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will explains how to do Spoiler Tags on the new forum (Not actually spoilers)

Highlight what you're saying and click the eye in the toolbar.

As for the episode itself:

I enjoyed it. There were a couple of iffy moments, a couple of times that Missy was a little over the top but, mostly, I enjoyed it. Really, I'll have to see the other half to form a full opinion but for from the worst season openers. I did enjoy Clara and Missy working together. Also, they were wearing vortex manipulators still. Totally not dead.

Edited by dc20willsave

Well, zippety dash and zing zang spillet!

Quite enjoyed it on the whole, even though there's still another half to come. Good to bed in a new series with return appearances from the Shadow Proclamation, Julia from Hellraiser's Sisterhood - whom 12 seemingly just hangs out with - then the Daleks, Kate Stewart, Missy and Davros! Not entirely sure if the Doctor really needed to be intertwined with Davros' creation, although the boy's name reveal was a nice WTF moment. And "handmines" are a nice new concept, as is Mr Snake (missed his actual name). And Twelve's anachronisms. And the cliffhanger(s). And Missy as a whole.

Come to think of it, I enjoyed this one rather a lot!

And even though I never watched the BBC mid-90s show Bugs, which has been namechecked during TABHAL's Crime Traveller run, I did chuckle at the casting of the actress from that show as a technical operative.

The Doctor was acting so out of character that I was having a hard time getting a bead on the episode. However, Missy was great, the Doctor's "grand entrance" was hilarious (it took me a while to realize he was playing the theme tune), and the cliffhanger made me want to watch part 2 next week, so it did its job all around.

The Doctor and Davros scenes were great, everything else was just wasting time. I don't care about the Snake Man that's serving Davros for no reason, I don't care about Clara kissing Jane Austen, I don't care that much about Kate Stewart, I don't care about some new bullshit around The Doctor supposedly dying, I don't care about Twelve introducing "dude" into the lexicon early or him playing guitar. Build a story that's actually in service to the core idea.

Mixed on it as well.

Plenty of unnecessary bits. The bit with the Doctor partying was funny for a little bit, then went on way too long. Snake guy dragged the whole thing down whenever he showed up. (And reminded me of The Strain, which is not a compliment when talking about special effects) 

On the other hand, everything to do with Davros worked well. The hand mines were extremely creepy. Liked Missy and Clara together, fun stuff. Good directing too, and now that I looked it up I realized that Hettie McDonald directed Blink.

There were some weak parts admittedly, but I overall loved it based purely on the pros.

PROS:

-Capaldi's new attitude. I really liked him invoking his inner Tennant after a whole season of grumpy 4th, 6th and 9th Doctors.

-Missy is still the bomb and best NewWho villain for me

-Opening was excellent

-The sets were by and large awesome

-Jenna Coleman had more to do as Clara emotionally when first dealing with Missy, then later the Daleks

-This is the best Davros performance I have ever seen. From the direction to the acting, it was a tour de force of tension and drama.

-The fact that the episode calls back to Genesis of the Daleks in the twisted way it's doing it I find is brilliant. The whole thing about kid Davros and him years later throwing the 12th's Doctor's actions in his face is really clever, and not in an ostentatious way like Moffat has been doing for a while.

CONS:

-I'm confused, aren't the Daleks supposed to not remember the Doctor after the season 7 premiere?

-Did they explain exactly how Davros and/or Missy survived? I know their characters are the kinds that just do, but I'm wondering if I missed even the barest attempt at lip service.

-the Snake Dude was corny in a Star Trek Next Gen kind of way. The effects were a bit lame too

-Probably the biggest one, HOW MANY TIMES are we going to go through the whole dithering process of "The Doctor sure is going to die you guys". I swear that plot thread has less self-awareness than DC Comics...

Overall though by the end I was screaming in my empty house. I've not reacted to an episode like that since Capaldi's eyes in DOTD. I need to watch it online tho because the audio on my television sucked and by the end it sounded as though Davros was straight-up mumbling.

-Did they explain exactly how Davros and/or Missy survived? I know their characters are the kinds that just do, but I'm wondering if I missed even the barest attempt at lip service.

Not only did they not explain it, they straight up lampshaded it in Missy's case. Wendee asked me "Didn't Davros die the last time?" and I thought about it and realized that Davros has died pretty much every single time he has ever appeared on the show, and his return was never given more than the barest of throwaway lines. Hell, he was a head in a jar by the time the classic series ended, but he was back to his Genesis state of affairs when he returned to the new series.

In regards to something Don said, yeah I found a huge issue with the sound mixing. Music was too loud and the dialogue was too soft. Unfortunate with how there was a lot of whispering and hissing going on. Why I watch TV with the closed captioning on.

Yeah, the sound was way off.