The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By and large, I will defend the Moffat era. He has done a lot more for the series than he gets credit for. Casting Matt Smith, all by itself, gives him a lot of cred in my eyes.

But he ran out of gas at least two or three years ago. It's way past time for new eyes on the show.

Right? It almost had me believe Davros.

Big improvement on the first part. Snake guy was kept to a minimum, no shenanigans involving electric guitars and DUDE, just the Doctor and the Daleks. Everything to do with Davros was well done. 

The bits with Missy and Clara felt superfluous, though. Not really sure what that was for, other than going along with the theme of friends in enemies and enemies in friends. It is fun to see them together, though Michelle Gomez is on the line of overdoing it most times.

Bit of a nitpick with the Doctor being confused at the Dalek saying "mercy." Didn't that happen in Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang? Though I guess everything was rebooted somewhat after that. 

Also I have to admit I groaned at the "wearable technology" bit. It's about as bad as the obsession with the Cloud in that Matt Smith episode. And it looks like it's gonna stay for at least the next story.

The BBC just announced a spin-off called Class.

BBC Three today announces Class - a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who spin off from the acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness. Class is a YA series set in contemporary London. Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen them before.

So like, Gotham Academy in the Doctor Who universe?

I have to disagree I'm afraid.  Admittedly, it didn't have as much on-screen "wow" as the opening story did, but I thought it was very atmospheric, with a great cast and a decent mystery - which will be explored in the second part.  I'm liking Series 9 a lot so far.  Completely unrelated thought - Clara hasn't had much to do at all yet.

Playing catch up and just finished "Under the Lake". It had some down moments of requisite exposition that robbed me of my interest, but it was also REALLY scary and creepy. That bit with the ghost and the wrench really creeped me out, and the ending was great. Also the guest cast is very likable. Diving into part 2 nao.

Just watched part 2 and I loved it. Moreso'n part 1. This was a more emotional, more intense episode that had me on the edge of my seat. Such a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Best scene in the episode was Bennett calmly chewing the Doctor out on his picking and choosing who to save. No yelling, no histrionics, just naked confrontation. That alone made the episode, although the rest was legitimately great. Some of the tensest scenes I have ever witnessed on Doctor Who, including Cass' Daredevil moment regarding impending doom from Commissioner Loeb. The direction in this episode in particular was outstanding. I think this is the best episode of the show in a long while. I was reminded of Forest of the Dead a few times. Just thoroughly successful from top to bottom.

Still not enamored of this two-parter. This felt like a pretty standard Scary Doctor Who Story. The directing was good and the guest cast was really interesting. 

The Doctor talking to the camera was really really cool, I hope that doesn't get overused.

The Fisher King had a lackluster design and voice. The only menace I could feel from him was generated with the help of Capaldi's acting.

Anyway, I'm very excited for next week's episode. 

Best scene in the episode was Bennett calmly chewing the Doctor out... 

...before the Doctor kicked him into the TARDIS console,  impaling him through the chest, and quipping: "Bennett, your time has run out!" 

Edited by Pan-dub
Typo

Just caught up with the two parter. 

I didn't think it was stellar, Dave was right about it checking a lot of standard boxes, but it's the kind of story I want to see from Doctor Who every week. There were moments, like the ghosts drowning the corporate asshole and Commissioner Loeb dragging the ax, that it was effectively scary in a way that the show doesn't attempt too often. The characters could have been written further away from their stock types, but the cast was good, although good lord am I tired of the surrogate fan character. I thought the "didn't I just blow your mind" stuff in the second part was way heavy handed and not really earned, but whatever. 

Also, it's been a week and Mike isn't losing his mind over what if the Minister of War is the War Chief?

It's probably telling that my favorite part of "The Girl Who Died" was

the flashback to "Fires of Pompei". I love Tennant and that's one of my favorite episodes, so I marked out at that scene.

Unfortunately tho that's all I can take away from the episode. It seems to be setting up something, so hopefully that'll pay off. 

Yeah I'm waiting to see if the next one will make for a better whole. Maisie Williams was great though, it's always nice to see a GOT cast member doing something else. 

This mostly(if not all, I haven't been looking too closely) two-parters experiment is interesting, it reminds me of season 7's done-in-ones. Still not sure if it's working yet. I know some people have been saving episodes to watch them together, but I don't know if I could go without my weekly Doctor Who fix.

I wasn't really grooving on this most recent two-parter TBH. Maisie Williams was very good, but the stuff they gave her I thought was annoying. The whole "You made me" refrain said over and over again, how many times has Nu-Who played that card? It rang really false here too, trying very hard to get us to cross our arms at the Doctor and shake our heads.

I will say that by this time though Capaldi is definitely in his zone as the character. He was never not great, but I definitely feel this is his show now, as opposed to last season.