The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The hoodie grew on me, but I love his standard 12th Doctor costume, and considering this episode's ending, he definitely needed it back to come off more imposing.

I stopped the episode and re-watched that scene where he threatens Ashilde half a dozen times. Especially this line:

"I can do whatever the hell I like. You've read the stories. You know who I am, and in all that time did you ever hear anything about anyone who ever stopped me?"

I love how Capaldi plays the Doctor so much. He's been very playful this season, but peel back the layers of his good intentions and you have one pissed off old man.

Well, finally. And as per bloody usual, it had to be all about her, didn't it. Couldn't just kill her, had to drag it out and give her a nice long goodbye speech.

RIP Clara Oswald and good riddance. Hope we never see you again. Maybe the show will actually be about The Doctor now, not The Amazingly Wonderful Clara Oswald and her friend the time lord.

Edited by JasonC

I just realized that of all of the New Series companions, Martha and Mickey are the only two to have left under their own terms. Rose got abandoned in another universe, Donna got all of her character development erased, Amy and Rory got left in the 1930s by some Weeping Angels, and now, Clara got killed. If we extend it out further, Captain Jack got shot by some Daleks, Adam was deposited at home with a machine in his head, and River Song got left to die in prison for a murder she didn't commit only to get out and have to spend eternity nursing a little girl in a virtual reality.

I guess when thinking back to the original series, the way a lot of the companions left mostly never felt natural. There'd be deus ex marriage or them just up and leaving because they found a calling in the episode. I think the best leavings were Sarah Jane, Teagan, Adric and Peri. And Jaimie and Zoe. Everyone else seemingly used the Doctor to pass the time until they found what they thought to be a more interesting distraction.

Point is, the general scenes of companions leaving the show couldn't be done today because they were almost always contrived just to get the actor out of the program. Thus far I've never questioned the companions leaving in the way that they have as it's never smacked of last-minute re-writes to get them gone.

Great slow burn episode. Capaldi was amazing in this. And whether or not that was intentional, the Tom Baker impression was really helping.

When it all came together what was going on in the end, my jaw just dropped. I'm still not sure about that whole Hybrid thing but hey we'll see how it works out.

I personally think this season has been incredibly strong. Every story has just been a total showcase of what a great casting choice Peter Capaldi was for the Doctor. I haven't loved every story (Ashilde two-parter  is probably my least favorite story), but most of them for me have been jaw-droppingly good in terms of both writing and acting. It's been just pure joy to tune into the shown each week. I loved Matt Smith and I don't exactly agree with the general consensus of how seasons 6 and 7 were as lame as many people online tend to say, but I can't deny that half the time those episodes were a crap-shoot on whether my interest could be captured for the entirety of the story or not.

I will say tho that I watched "Heaven Sent" late at night after work, and found myself nodding off two or three times. I was not getting what was going on until we were it over the head at the very end. So for me this wasn't the best of the season, but I really do put that onto my my being sleepy going into it.

There's only one episode this season I can say I hated, but honestly, I've been pretty apathetic to this season. There are moments that I got excited by, but there were elements that I thought dragged the episode down or I thought the episode was just solid. I do think Capaldi's been doing great work, and they've got a hold on who his Doctor is (weird asides notwithstanding), but I'm still not 100% connected with this Doctor and I don't know why. And Clara, who was the focal point of last season, felt largely on the sidelines; the most memorable bits with her before "Face the Raven" were the hints that she was going to die. So while I by no means dislike this season, I can't say I love it and that bums me out. 

Do you think that people are just getting burned out on Who? People aren't really getting excited, getting mad or even discussing the series much anymore. It's just become the show that people watch every Saturday and that's about it.

I have been watching the show since 'Spearhead From Space'. I will always watch Doctor Who. Doesn't matter if I don't like a companion (Adric, Tegan, Clara) or the writing, or a character, or a story, or anything else about it. I will always watch it. We lost the show for 16 years. I will never take it for granted that its on the air.

Edited by JasonC

Do you think that people are just getting burned out on Who? People aren't really getting excited, getting mad or even discussing the series much anymore. It's just become the show that people watch every Saturday and that's about it.

Some of that seems true for me. I'm still a really new fan, having gotten into WHO right before Matt Smith's first season started so seeing the show "live" is still a bit of a relatively fresh experience for me. I don't want to presume, but IDK if it's because the show under Moffat has become far less about the character dramas from the RTD days and more about scary twists that some find actually not-so-scary and make no sense, but there's a definite air I get among some folks online that each episode is on trial for them.

IDK, I've never hated an episode before. Even when I was first watching series 2 and there were parts of certain episodes that were outright dumb, my interest in the property and affection for the actors and general world kind of keeps most negative feelings away. It's been almost six years since I've gotten into Doctor Who now and I've just not been made mad by anything. Maybe that's why when things happen like Chris rolling his eyes at "Sleep No More", I'm really nowhere near that head space.

At this point, I just feel the show needs new blood. Moffat needs to step down after the next series. Six seasons is a good run for any showrunner but he's running the danger of falling into fatigue. I don't dislike Moffat but it really is time for him to move on. A new showrunner could revitalize the show, bring in some new ideas, a load of things.

I'm not really sure where I stand with the show. I'm a little fresher to the show than Don, I got into it late 2011 and caught up mid-2012. I still love it, I'm still looking forward to the new episode each week, I just got Vengeance on Varos and the TV movie on DVD.(Meaning I now have at least one of every Classic Doctor, woo!) But on the other hand, it doesn't set off the "A new episode!!!" feelings that it used to. Maybe I am taking it for granted, since I've never had to deal with a hiatus longer than the 8 months or so from the Christmas special to the next season. It could be that my friends have all cooled off on it, and that takes some of the fun out of it. 

But like Don said, I've never hated an episode before.