The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

For a little while now, Shana's dad and stepmom have been watching classic Who. So yesterday, when we had them over for dinner, her stepmom said they recently watched a Dalek episode from the 1970s. I asked which one. Though she couldn't remember the title, she said, "The first one where The Doctor with the hair meets them." She then gestured big puffy hair.

I said, "Tom Baker?"

"No," she replied, "the Rod Stewart-looking one."

Guh...I know as an actor in the role it's a ton of work, but I was really hoping he'd break the trend and at least go four years. I feel it becomes too traditional for a three year limit, the show becomes more predictable. I honestly felt Matt Smith had at least one more solid year in him.

Edited by Donomark

Loved this bit. 

When I meet him a few weeks later he is walking with a stick and looks tired. He is recovering from a knee operation caused, he says, by all that running down corridors he has had to do. A sign, perhaps, that these days the Doctor is a role for a younger man? “It’s the same operation Matt Smith had!” he counters. “I took him for lunch the first time I met him and he was on crutches. I said, 'What’s happened to you?’ He said, 'This f------ show, mate!’  I never believed him – and now I’ve got exactly the same injury. You tend to twist your knee when you’re being chased by a monster and then you swivel around to present yourself to camera. It’s the curse of the Doctor…”

Trying not to read any of the above, I have one question:

I've only watched the opening 2-parter of Series 9 of which I  retained (I did watch the following story, but mostly whilst drunk, so I remember next to nothing). I haven't watched the rest of the series - more for time reasons rather than a lack of interest - but I'm resigned to catching up with it at a later date.

Re: the Christmas special, with River Song, I'do *like* to catch it before the festive season fully winds up. That said, and the basis of my post, would watching the Christmas special spoil any aspect of the series (either minor or major)??

She's pretty hit or miss with me. She's great in the Library/Forest 2-parter. I liked her fine in the Angels take Manhattan episode. I don't on principal dislike her.

When's she written to be super cheeky, it comes off as trying too hard to get the audience to like her. This episode was that all over. I don't like to conspiracy theory the production side of DW too much, but this really felt like Moffat was perfectly confident in how much the audience loved River more than life itself and every line of dialogue was meant to reflect that. But I found her just...annoying. If this counts for series 9, then this would be my least favorite story.

• 2 weeks later...