The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, we don't get BBC at school or home (and even if we did at school, I'd have to battle a bunch of frat boys to be able to watch it), so I'm gonna be relying on the internet fairy to find episodes of this; planning on watching it the whole way through.

Also, am currently in the process of getting the start of the Tenth Doctor's run (I've seen the first few eps of Season 3) and his entire run. Can't wait to watch. ^^

Just from this clip, I'm loving Smith's Doctor. He's clearly fun-loving and still eccentric (especially in his Kramer-like movements), but he's playing the character much less bouncy than Tennant ever did. There's a calmness to his Doctor, and I like that after years of a Tigger-like Doctor.

Just so you guys all know, this is ace so far, really top notch.

edit- OK its done. Non-spoiler review, this was one of the best all around episodes since this show restarted. Most important of all it was one of the best looking episodes, there was very little of the traditional Who creakiness that even the modern series has been unable to avoid. It was creepy, emotional, funny, madcap, adventurous, everything Who should be.

Plot-wise people will find this episode VERY familiar, but its also a fresh take on the idea and better written, acted and executed. If this is the standard this show is setting I'm massively pumped to watch the rest of this season.

The entire episode is basically the same plot as Smith and Jones, the episode that introduced Martha at the start of the third season. Intergalactic criminal on earth disguised as human, Doctor needs to find it and hand it over before overzealous space enforcers do something drastic, whilst also working with spunky new assistant. Except this was WAY better.

Its up on iPlayer. I'm going to watch it again. Especially since the awesome new theme music was blanked out by the BBC's obsession with advertising the next show during the credits.

very good. I really enjoyed that. The story wasn't the strongest but then series openers rarely are deep and involving, particularly one which has so much to introduce. Stephen Moffatt was on the DW confidential talking about how they decided that if they were going to change things, they should change everything...and they have. It's a very different feel, which as someone who was never as in love with the RTD vision as i wanted to be is something i'm lookin forward to. I hadn't realised how much i'd missed the old classic Who standby of an English country village, as opposed to all the cities of the RTD era.

The negatives...well...I'm not completely sold on the new titles/music....the music is more disappointing to me than the titles, but i need to hear it a few more times before i decide. I'm also not keen on having the DW logo as part of the title (although the way it morphs into the TARDIS is nice).

The negatives...well...I'm not completely sold on the new titles/music....the music is more disappointing to me than the titles, but i need to hear it a few more times before i decide. I'm also not keen on having the DW logo as part of the title (although the way it morphs into the TARDIS is nice).

Now that I've had the chance to hear the music properly I really like it, its just as epic as before but much darker, with a nice electronic feel. Its a shift in the right direction if the show really is dipping more into its more sinister element.

I've also pinpointed the exact moment in the episode where Mike will fall for Amy Pond.