The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

04_Hair.gif

Not quite the greatest size, but, still.

Also, something that's been bugging me. Does anyone know the name of the theme that plays over the end where the shot is panning over Amelia's room, and over the preview for the rest of the season, cause that's stuck in my head and I want it on my iPod. It goes, da da DA da-da da da da in increasing intensity?

Also, something that's been bugging me. Does anyone know the name of the theme that plays over the end where the shot is panning over Amelia's room, and over the preview for the rest of the season, cause that's stuck in my head and I want it on my iPod. It goes, da da DA da-da da da da in increasing intensity?

I think it's original for this series so you'll probably have to wait until September of October for them to release the Series 5 soundtrack.

ok..another odd thing i've noticed. The date is never mentioned, but you can assume from the mentions of Twitter, and the laptops, that the bulk of the episode took place in the present day. But in the spideysense scene where the Doctor notices Rory filming the alien, the camera pans down Rory's body, before zooming in on his Hospital ID...which says "issued - 30/11/1990". I can't believe that they'd let something like that go out by mistake, particularly since the camera really zooms in on it. So is there something strange or time displaced about Rory? perhaps the whole village? Will that tie in with things later?

Good catch! There are other clues that might suggest the town is time-displaced:

- Amy works as a Kissogram, but those don't really exist anymore.

- The town isn't a real English village.

- Several times it's mentioned that Amy's name seems like something out of a fairytale.

- As Jakob pointed out, the computer was called MψTH.

- Let's assume the bulk of the story takes place in 2010. That means The Doctor met young Amy in 1998 (RE: 12 years ago). But the London Eye wasn't built until 1999. Furthermore, because he misses another two years of her life, that means the last few minutes might have been 2010 and most of the episode was 2008, so he would have met her in 1996. Either way, the Eye shouldn't have been there. (However, this point can be written off because "The End of Time" concluded on 01 January 2005. So the London we saw as the TARDIS fell to Earth might have been Londa circa 2005. Supporting this is the fact that we hear the engines of the TARDIS as it crashes into Amy's shed. So it might have jumped back in time as the opening credits rolled.)

Another one: The Doctor wasn't able to sense the perception filter in Amy's house. (His body was still "cooking," so maybe that's why it went overlooked.)

Here's a question: Would The Doctor have taken young Amy as a companion? He did come back for her, so that tells me he was going to give her at least one journey.

...It really, really depends on the dynamic they would've had, I think. If they had gone for the brother/sister dynamic or guardian/child dynamic with Amy as a younger companion, maybe they would've done it. But I think that would've gone into squickish places for far too many people for them to have considered it.

He'd have at least taken her for a ride, that much is for sure.

Something just dawned on me. There's another episode of Doctor Who this Saturday!

I know. I know. Dan brought that up in BOTI 35, but, thanks to the specials, I'm too used to the gap between episodes. But now that isn't the case! YAY! :w00t:

Also "Do I just have a face that no-one listens to? Again?" Is that a previous thing? Which Doctor would that be?

Just for kicks, I was rereading the early portions of this thread, and I noticed the above quote by Stavros. Why do I bring it up three years later? 'Cause Doctor Eleven said something very similar as Amy went into the previously unseen room. I love when they do little stuff like that.

Also "Do I just have a face that no-one listens to? Again?" Is that a previous thing? Which Doctor would that be?

Just for kicks, I was rereading the early portions of this thread, and I noticed the above quote by Stavros. Why do I bring it up three years later? 'Cause Doctor Eleven said something very similar as Amy went into the previously unseen room. I love when they do little stuff like that.

That's left me massively confused because I remember writing exactly that on this board whilst rewatching the new episode, but I can't find it now. I wouldn't rule out the idea that its a clumsy mis-edit from this week on my part and entirely unrelated to Who at that time.

Couple more things I've observed whilst rewatching- Many of the villains the Atraxi flash up on their hologram never invaded earth. The Hath from The Doctor's Daughter, The Vashta Nerada from Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead and of course the Ood. I wouldn't mind but they only show about 7 attackers overall, you'd think they could find 3 alternatives who actually invaded. You could say that we just haven't seen them invade, but the Atraxi clearly links them to Earth's defender, The Doctor, and to date the Doctor hasn't encountered those foes on earth, and the Atraxi don't show Doctor 11 or beyond so its not as though they're connecting them to potential future incidents. It just seems very inconsistent.

Also interesting that the Doctor says he just took the Tardis to the moon and back initially but then he acknowledges that he's been travelling alone for a while and wanted company. Is he changing his story or was he referring to the time the 10th Doctor spend travelling alone towards the end?

Plus the Hath weren't bad guys. (The same can be said about the Ood, but they were possessed and later lashed out.)

He's talking about his time as Doctor Ten.

But he's clearly been away for more than just a short trip to the moon, he's been researching the cracks in the universe and has come back to pick her up for reasons relating to this that he doesn't want to tell her, perhaps deliberately coming back two years later rather than immediately. I'm not saying he isn't also referring to his last incarnation as well, but he's clearly not been and gone for five minutes in his time. It could be much longer.

here's 4 youtube vids..1 of Steven Moffatt introducing some clips from The Beast Below, and the 3 clips themselves...some interesting stuff. It looks really creepy, and I can't wait. One observation

Notice the big Magpie Electricals sign....they were the company in the S2 episode The Idiot's Lantern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V60XMA4YzkE

2 to follow in next post