The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Onion AV Club just posted a terrific primer for the entire series. Worth a look, even if you've seen most of the information before.

That is a terrific piece of work, really cool read.

I'm skipping Who's first run this evening. Ordinarily it would take a great deal to manage this, and today that means UFC from the middle east, which makes it far more time-appropriate than usual for me (as it not on at 3am). I feel oddly guilty considering how high I am on the new Who, but I'll watch it straight after on iPlayer to make up for it, I swear!

well..i really enjoyed that. Some good performances, and the smilers were suitably creepy.

And of course the teaser for next episode....looks so good (and a chance to hear that line of dialogue that leaked out over a year ago as an audio clip, in context..although it's obvious they used an alternate take).

well..i really enjoyed that. Some good performances, and the smilers were suitably creepy.

I thought it started out slow, but got a lot better as it went along. The ending was really good. But for some reason, the link to the next episode:

When Winston Churchill calls, I was reminded of the 60's Batman cartoon when the villain would call Commissioner Gordon and would set up who was in the next episode.

Maybe it's just me who felt that way.

Good episode, really promising. Nice actually scary tone throughout and a classic Who-style ethical choice at the heart of it all. All that and we see the development of the Doctor and Amy throughout as well. Not all time great Who but well worth watching, and cleverly done to set up the upcoming old-foe bonanza we have coming.

In Moffat we trust.

Plus, Liz 10 is Crimson Avenger meets V. Awesome.

Maybe I'm looking for clues as to Amy being off or different, but here's something: The Doctor said that in the 29th century the Earth was roasted and countries moved into space. Okay, so for the sake of easy math, let's say that was 2810. Liz 10 has been in power for 200 years, which is how long ago the UK was lifted into space. Making the year in "The Beast Below" 3010. However, the computer gave Amy's age as 1306. Now do the math: 3010 - 1306 = 1704. So either the computer was wrong, or Amy wasn't born in the late 20th century.

Now here's something else: What other companion of The Doctor was Scottish? Jamie. And he joined The Doctor in 1746.

So my theory is that Amy was born in 1704, was shunted to the future via those cracks in space, traveled with The Doctor for a little while, somehow wound back in the early 18th century, and gave birth to Donald McCrimmon, who would eventually father Jamie. Amy is Jamie's grandmother.

Another great episode. If the season keeps up this level of quality, it might dethrone Season 4 as my favorite. And the set up for the next episode? Fantastic. I almost wish they didn't have the "next time" bit. And I now know what Moffat meant when he said he knew they found their Doctor because Smith is absolutely brilliant.

Maybe I'm looking for clues as to Amy being off or different, but here's something: The Doctor said that in the 29th century the Earth was roasted and countries moved into space. Okay, so for the sake of easy math, let's say that was 2810. Liz 10 has been in power for 200 years, which is how long ago the UK was lifted into space. Making the year in "The Beast Below" 3010. However, the computer gave Amy's age as 1306. Now do the math: 3010 - 1306 = 1704. So either the computer was wrong, or Amy wasn't born in the late 20th century.

Now here's something else: What other companion of The Doctor was Scottish? Jamie. And he joined The Doctor in 1746.

So my theory is that Amy was born in 1704, was shunted to the future via those cracks in space, traveled with The Doctor for a little while, somehow wound back in the early 18th century, and gave birth to Donald McCrimmon, who would eventually father Jamie. Amy is Jamie's grandmother.

I think you are looking to closely into a show that tends to throw up its hands and say, "Hey time travel is wonky" every time it contradicts itself.

As I said, maybe I'm looking for clues where there are none, but the computer saying Amy's age is 1306 doesn't ring true to the era in which the story is set and from which she's from. And considering the 1990 printed on Rory's ID badge, something's up.

As I said, maybe I'm looking for clues where there are none, but the computer saying Amy's age is 1306 doesn't ring true to the era in which the story is set and from which she's from. And considering the 1990 printed on Rory's ID badge, something's up.

I agree. There is something not right with Amy. With all the little odd clues in the 1st episode and now her age in this one (according to the computer) doesn't tally up. The cracks in time and space have obviously messed something up, either with her or her whole town. Im wondering if the cracks is something The Doctor himself has accidentally caused.

Loved the Parralels with her running away from her big day and the Doctor running away all those years ago that started his adventures through time. And the Doctor with the Beast below.

Liz 10 was awesome. "Basically I rule".

My theory is that the Tenth Doctor's clone went apeshit, killed everyone in his universe (he was born out of violence, after all...) and made the cracks.

Not exactly the happy ending Rose was planning on. I'm not sure they'll delve that deep into Davies' plotlines, although I'd certainly like that as a way to bring Tennant back for a special.

I don't like his assistant, she's not doing anything for me yet. She's like Martha for me, just there, and doing nothing.

:huh: She just saved the day last episode.

Plus we're following her solo for a fair bit. I think she's much more pro-active than the old assistants, the Doctor wasn't keen on them leaving his sight. He's actually encouraging her development.