The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure I like the idea of every story leading in to the next. If indeed thats what they continue to do. Although it won't ruin the series for me. Has anyone mentioned the obvious Star Wars references?

Liz 10 "Your our only hope" and being trapped inside a monsters mouth looking out at it's teeth like the Falcon in Empire.

One thing I'm wondering is if they're going to continue to have each story lead directly into the next like they've done so far this series.

I doubt it. Each time a new companion has joined The Doctor in the modern series, they've shown the first journeys. After that, they tend to skip ahead.

Rose: Season one

The End of the World and The Unquiet Dead are all one trip. Aliens of London / World War Three are probably part of that, too. Then there's most likely a gap between the aforementioned two-parter and Dalek, with the rest of the season continuing on from there.

Martha: Season three

Martha's first trip spans two episodes: The Shakespeare Code and Gridlock. I wouldn't be surprised if Daleks in Manhatten / Evolution of the Daleks followed directly on Gridlock's heels. After that, it's hard to say, but at the very least there are unseen adventures between The Lazarus Experiment, 42, and Human Nature / The Family of Blood.

Donna: Season four

The Fires of Pompeii and Planet of the Ood are most likely back-to-back. And one could easily suggest that The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky and The Doctor's Daughter fit that grouping, too. But then I would say The Doctor and Donna have a few journeys before The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Waaaaaaay back on page 1 of this thread, Mike wrote:

The continuity scares me.

Now, we have:

One thing I'm wondering is if they're going to continue to have each story lead directly into the next like they've done so far this series.

I doubt it. Each time a new companion has joined The Doctor in the modern series, they've shown the first journeys. After that, they tend to skip ahead.

Rose: Season one

The End of the World and The Unquiet Dead are all one trip. Aliens of London / World War Three are probably part of that, too. Then there's most likely a gap between the aforementioned two-parter and Dalek, with the rest of the season continuing on from there.

Martha: Season three

Martha's first trip spans two episodes: The Shakespeare Code and Gridlock. I wouldn't be surprised if Daleks in Manhatten / Evolution of the Daleks followed directly on Gridlock's heels. After that, it's hard to say, but at the very least there are unseen adventures between The Lazarus Experiment, 42, and Human Nature / The Family of Blood.

Donna: Season four

The Fires of Pompeii and Planet of the Ood are most likely back-to-back. And one could easily suggest that The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky and The Doctor's Daughter fit that grouping, too. But then I would say The Doctor and Donna have a few journeys before The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Way to get over that fear of continuity, dude. :lol:

The Radio Times covers are out and show a new design of Dalek on the cover. Teh website has the 3 covers, with different coloured Daleks relating to the colours of the 3 main political parties. And 3 more pictures showing more Daleks, including another colour. Apparantly all these coloured Daleks do appear. Not sure about the new design though (particularly the bulky middle section). 2 pictures under the spoiler cut of each post

reddalek-1.jpgyellowdalek.jpg

Kay, seen the new episode now-

Not totally up to expectations but there was plenty to like here, especially the reversion by the Daleks to a design that's more on an homage to the originals. I did get a slight whiff of car showroom when they all came out and lined up though. These were like the new mini the old daleks original mini, they bore some resemblance but where much shinier and quite a bit bigger. Plus these ones don't have the pointless pockets that the army colour ones did. Its a nice redesign, and the added size really helps to make them more physically imposing.

Cool that they'll be a recurring villain now though, I was getting tired of the Doctor having supposedly wiped them out over and over.

Churchill was too much of a cartoon for my liking, but whatever. I think an eccentric performance can be tempered with cantankerous dignity.

eh... not sure.

The Doctor and Amy took a bit more of a back seat in this episode, that wouldn't bother me except Churchill didn't come off that great and there were no other real characters except Bracewell. I thought the first 10-15 minutes were great. The WWII styled Daleks, the bunker, the very obvious homage to Power of the Daleks. It was classic but all felt new, their plan to lure the Doctor in for the single purpose of convincing someone that they were actually Daleks was inspired and once again the Doctor's inability to hold back when it comes to them is his undoing. After that it lost its way for me though, the revelation of their plan was too early and the story gives away its trump card The suspense. What should have been an end of story surprise is actually an early development and everything after that was outlandish and totally inferior to what came before. I hated the new design too.

eh... not sure.

The Doctor and Amy took a bit more of a back seat in this episode, that wouldn't bother me except Churchill didn't come off that great and there were no other real characters except Bracewell. I thought the first 10-15 minutes were great. The WWII styled Daleks, the bunker, the very obvious homage to Power of the Daleks. It was classic but all felt new, their plan to lure the Doctor in for the single purpose of convincing someone that they were actually Daleks was inspired and once again the Doctor's inability to hold back when it comes to them is his undoing. After that it lost its way for me though, the revelation of their plan was too early and the story gives away its trump card The suspense. What should have been an end of story surprise is actually an early development and everything after that was outlandish and totally inferior to what came before. I hated the new design too.

Yes. I agree with everything you said.

hmmm...thought that was a real mixed bag.

I loved the Daleks Plan, but everything just felt so rushed...needed much more of the Daleks being clever and pretending to be friendly. Not sure about the redesign of the Daleks...love the colours, but don't like the new eyestalk being so low on the head and coming straight out, and the Hunchback look of the midsection...not keen yet. But very pleased that we have an end to the "here's the last dalek, finds/creates some more, all of them get destroyed...except one" circle we've had throughout nu-who.

And we have more hints at the underlying theme of the season...another crack shown obviously, but more intriguingly the fact that Amy doesn't know about the Daleks. Also, another instance of the TARDIS arriving late (we had all the stuff in the first episode with him being late, and now in this he arrives a month late.

Uh... yeah.

Yeah, I gotta go along with what people are saying. This started really strong and drifted along into meh. The Doctor barely did a thing once the new-look Daleks showed up, and Amy was completely superfluous. I'm not loving the Daleks' new look, but I'll get used to it.

I am liking the active detective role the Doctor is taking in the series. The running plot thing that was Bad Wolf in the first series is being treated as a mystery that he's actively exploring now. Its a much better approach to these season long arc which are 90% clue for the audience over the characters.

Five minutes of this episode were truly great, the time from the Doctor arriving on the Dalek ship through to the new Daleks emerging. Him holding them hostage with a jammy dodger, them explaining how they had outwitted him for once. That interplay was superb.

On the Dalek redesign I'm actually 50/50 on reflection. Its nice to have a new design but there was something totally classic about the compact old design. Meh, it won't make any difference story-wise, so I won't complain to much.

daleks.jpg

I thought it was shit. Churchill looked the part, but he was fucking wooden to all hell, and it was just a crap episode.

Somewhat harsh as a review, methinks. Personally, I think

this is the weakest episode of the season thus far and badly written to boot, as Churchill just said the same thing ad nauseam, Amy had next to nothing to do and the Daleks expositioned their motives WAY too easily. I like the fact that the Daleks are realistically out there for furture episodes rather than being killed off for the final time over again ("the final end") although the random colours are a tad curious. On the positive side, Amy not having any previous knowledge of the Daleks definitely pushes the season's story arc further and the very image of an RAF Spitfire in space re-enacting the Death Star run was pretty cool.

All-in-all, not terrible, but badly written.