The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After the episode that airs today, we'll be more than halfway through the season! :o

Why did you have to remind me! It's only now starting to pick up.

Really? I thought highly of the first five episodes, but last week's I was not into at all and this week's seems incredibly predictable watching the preview.

Good enjoyable episode. But like all of this series, it's not grabbing me enough to think the show is awesome.

Really? I thought highly of the first five episodes, but last week's I was not into at all and this week's seems incredibly predictable watching the preview.

I don't know, it's still not great, it's still trying to get it all together for me. I think Smith is good, but the episodes have been lack lustre.

well...i thought that was an excellent episode. Just my sort of ep, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and of course the intriguing question it posed is, who is the Dreamlord?

It has to be the Valeyard doesn't it? I think all that stuff about the particles causing the dream and it being a manifestation of the Doctor's darker side was mostly just to put Rory and Amy at ease...and yet, "manifestation of the Doctor's dark side" is a good description for the Valeyard.

Simon Nye for King of the Universe! :buttrock::bowdown:

If the episode just ended when Amy crashed the Volkswagen, leaving us cliffhanging, it would have been the best episode since Blink.

Also, the Dreamlord seemed very Sylvester McCoy-ish to me... :gah:

Also... SILURIANS!~!!!`1!@!1!one!!eleven!

I'm rewatching the series with one of my mates and I've realized something. This entire season is kinda mirroring "The Girl in the Fireplace." Amy has, so far, met the Doctor when she was a little girl, met him when she was older though the Doctor didn't realize it for a few because he thought he only moved forward a little bit more. He then repeats said mistake. The girl also in both cases thinks the Doctor was an imaginary friend and when the two remeet in the farther future, both are involved with other men. It just seems odd, even with Moffat having written "The Girl in the Fireplace" since I think he would realize if he was accidentally mirroring himself.

I'm rewatching the series with one of my mates and I've realized something. This entire season is kinda mirroring "The Girl in the Fireplace." Amy has, so far, met the Doctor when she was a little girl, met him when she was older though the Doctor didn't realize it for a few because he thought he only moved forward a little bit more. He then repeats said mistake. The girl also in both cases thinks the Doctor was an imaginary friend and when the two remeet in the farther future, both are involved with other men. It just seems odd, even with Moffat having written "The Girl in the Fireplace" since I think he would realize if he was accidentally mirroring himself.

I think that it made sense to start off with young Amy and then have her grow up to become The Doctor's companion. You needed to establish the child-friendly aspect of the Eleventh Doctor (fish custard scenes and all) before taking her into another world of danger. The two years late thing was a nice throwaway idea that played into the wedding night aspect of the series storyline.

I've liked every episode of this season (with the exception of Victory of the Daleks, which was bollocks) but I've found this one to be one of the most intriguing of the lot. Toby Jones was AWESOME as the annoying Dream Master whilst the story structure was unlike anything I've seen in New Who. Also, I like Rory - even if he is in the Mickey-mold, he's a different character if only because the female companion actually gives a damn about him. Not everyone's going to warm to him, but I think he's realistic enough if you consider what you would do if your fiancee ran off with a time-travelling alien.

Something that occurred to me today is that this season needs a Steven Moffat. I don't mean showrunner Steven Moffat, but a writer whose stories are going to be for the Moffat era what Moffat's were to the RTD era.

Gentlemen, I think we've found our new Steven Moffat in the form of Simon Nye. This was an awesome episode, and easily the best of the season thus far!

Something that occurred to me today is that this season needs a Steven Moffat. I don't mean showrunner Steven Moffat, but a writer whose stories are going to be for the Moffat era what Moffat's were to the RTD era.

Gentlemen, I think we've found our new Steven Moffat in the form of Simon Nye. This was an awesome episode, and easily the best of the season thus far!

I enjoyed, in fact I enjoyed it a lot, but I think it had issues. I think the split narrative gave it pacing problems early on, that got a lot better as the episode went on but I found the first 15 minutes hard to connect with. I wasn't having trouble following it or anything, just having trouble getting invested. I also thought the ending was a bit of an anti-climax and not as clever as Nye seemed to think it was. However, it was a lot of fun for most of the time an a definite improvement on last week.

I'm convinced that entire episode was designed just to fuck with people like me that hated on the ending of "Flesh and Stone".

Not to say that's a bad thing. I love when any piece of fiction can play with my emotions like that.

Favourite episode thus far.

Me and a bunch of mates have been making a Doctor Who fan film for a while now, and it is nearly done, except for the opening scene, for which I'm going to need a little help from you.

To put it in continuity, we have decided to start it with the end of season one, with Eccleston regenerating into our new Doctor.

So, we have been wondering how to get rid of Rose in under five minutes, in a way that makes sense, without killing her?

Thanks in advance.

Ah right - that must be the first picture of him with a beard I've seen.

I was introduced to many a-Gaiman when visiting my sister in Brighton (she's a closeted fan). As such, I've read snippets of Gaiman here and there, but not enough to call myself a Gaiman fan.

:rolleyes:

Worst episode of the season yet.

We're halfway done, and barely anything that I want to watch in the series again.

Edit: With the exception of the Angels episode, nothing I can actually say I've enjoyed, and will want to watch again.

Couldn't disagree more, I thought this was classic top notch Who, back to basics stuff. I also think that this is the season of Who that I'll revisit most when its done, its been all around of a higher quality than before. Way more of the Doctor being fallible and there being consequences for this, but he also seems far more comfortable as a badass than 10 did. 10 was resigned to it in the end, 11 almost relishes it.