The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the problem with Mickey was so much about being likable as it was his insistence on chasing after a girl that treated him like dogshit.

With Rory, they got that out of the way pretty quickly.

Re-watching series 4 of Who, and I now know what I really liked about it. It was the friendship dynamic of Donna and the Doctor. There was no sexual tension between them, they were just friends, and I think the show needs to try more things like that. I want to believe with Rory along, the Amy/Doctor dynamic is just best friends, and not anything physical, again.

EDIT: One thing I did like in last nights episode:

Future Amy and Rory waving to themselves, and the Doctor refusing to let them catch up, out of fear of spoilers.

I'm more on the side of Suave this week, as this was my least favorite episode of the season. Not to judge it before the second part, but there have been better "threat from under the ground" episodes. I didn't like any of the supporting characters of the week, which is rare for me. I don't mind The Doctor making mistakes, but one of the mistakes he makes in this episode was unbelievable to me. I thought the interrogation scene was great, but other than that, there wasn't much I liked.

I'm with Stav on this one. I loved it.

I like Nasreen a lot. She's in the Donna mold, and if I wasn't pretty sure she's going to bite it next episode, I wouldn't mind seeing her as a companion.

And Silurians are suddenly hot now. Weird.

I just loved the way they're setting up the doctor in this one. He keeps asking for peoples faith because he thinks he can save them, and then fails. He fails Amy by letting her go, he's failing the kid because he promised something he couldn't necessarily deliver (saving his dad), he failed the mum by being careless with the kid's safety. He was wrong about the silurian civilisation, he said it would only be a small settlement. The equipment he had them all busting their balls to set up turned out to be useless. All this and he's still asking for these people's faith. I'm guess that pt. 2 is where their faith is rewarded and the doctor proves himself, since the setup has been entirely about setting up the Doctor as fallible.

I feel like they've basically done that in nearly every episode this series.

He promises Amy he'll be back in five minutes, he fails. He nearly kills the star whale when he really should have noticed. He pushes and pushes at the daleks to find out what they want and basically kicks off a new dalek empire by not keeping his mouth shut. He makes the big mistake with the angels in the maze of the dead. Vampires in venice, he lets Amy go into the school and fails to save the last of an alien race. I don't have one for Amy's choice yet but i'll think of one. It seems that this Doctor has a way of making things worse before making them better, he's a lot more fallible and I love it; it's a real contrast to his older, wiser view of himself.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Okay. Casa de Zilla has made it up to The Vampires of Venice* and I have to say that, so far, I have enjoyed every episode. Some are clunkier than others (Venice had some wince inducing moments and was the first ep that had the lady love spewing snarky talk back to the screen) but, on the whole, I would rate this current season as "above average." I like to think that the "off" feeling is more rooted in my foolish "Oh, this is going to be the scariest Dr. Who season in the history of ever, because the GREAT GOD MOFFAT is in charge!" expectations. My hopes for something akin to the Philip Hinchcliffe era remain, though. As uneven and rushed as some of the episodes feel, there is certainly a far darker undertone to the show than in the Russell T. Davies era. This Doctor, as others have noted, is far from perfect, makes promises that he cannot keep, and even makes mistakes that can get someone killed. I like.

And so does the lady love! Her only comment to date about the Doctor was that the classic series was "lame" and that David Tennant was far too over-the-top and goofy. (Although she LOVED Blink) She much prefers the "Foppish" (her description) turn of Matt Smith, and I have to admit...he has really won me over. They made a good choice with him. While there has yet to be a "classic" for this season (but season is not over yet, though) I am confident that there will be some truly great stories and arcs forth coming from this creative team. The series is in good hands.

EDIT: *The bit with the First Doctor library card was a chuckle inducing moment of sweet fan service. (Just as long as Moffat and Co. do not go overboard on the classic series callbacks. Nonetheless, they were nice to see in both The Eleventh Hour and The Vampires of Venice.)

I like Nasreen a lot. She's in the Donna mold, and if I wasn't pretty sure she's going to bite it next episode, I wouldn't mind seeing her as a companion.

Totally agree on this one. She's going up there with Sally Sparrow on my companion wishlist.

And Silurians are suddenly hot now. Weird.

I believe the Doctor said at one point that these were a different off shoot of the Silurians or something like that.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I saw the cricket bat and found myself hoping that Amy gets the chance to get it and start hitting things with it again. I am intrigued by the disappearing corpse plotpoint because that has yet to be resolved. It should be interesting when we get an explanation.

Hmm....that wasn't a bad 2 parter, but i found it a little dull. Rather too reminiscent of the Pertwee era for me, including sledgehammer morality. Although it's always good to see Marvin the Paranoid Android in other things :D

Regarding the end of this episode though (in spoilers)

Rory's Death and erasure from history....it's obviously going to be refered to again. That scene last week of him putting the ring on the TARDIS console (and you could see the box in the last scene when he's trying to make her remember) is bound to be important.

I don't know what it says about this season when every time they do something stupid, I have to convince myself that they're going to find a way to undo it later.

The second part to this two-parter was much better than the first. I saw the first big moment coming from the narration at the beginning, but the reveal at the end of the episode caught me by complete surprise. The season finale is going to be awesome.

The first episode in the BBC downloadable game, City of the Daleks, has now been made available for the PC - three days earlier than expected!

A Macintosh version of the game is expected to be released on 15 June.

The game can be downloaded from the official site for The Adventure Games on the BBC's Doctor Who website.

This is only available in the UK for now. It becomes available outside the UK next month.