The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still not sure about it...there was a lot to like, the character interaction was superb, but I hated the comedy bit at the beginning (what was the point??) and it felt a bit padded at times. The aliens at this point are creepy looking, but are basically a slight twist on the Angels.

I'd give it 6 out of 10

I'm still not sure about it...there was a lot to like, the character interaction was superb, but I hated the comedy bit at the beginning (what was the point??) and it felt a bit padded at times. The aliens at this point are creepy looking, but are basically a slight twist on the Angels.

I'd give it 6 out of 10

I'll agree with most of that, however, I enjoyed the episode at the start, then my interest started to wane. Badly.

Matt Smith was fantastic, but at this point, that is not surprising.

So, now that we're back, my thoughts on the episode:

What. the. HELLLL.

Okay, so, Will was right with the Doctor and timey-wimey being involved, I'm imagining that the mid-regeneration death is going to be unwritten by the end of the season somehow.

I like the concept of the aliens, in that if you look away you forget about them, and with what looks like some definite possession-type thing going on, even if they are Weeping Angels, second verse, a little bit faster and a little bit worse.

Now, on the major spoilery bits:

-I'm betting that Amy's not pregnant, she's being possessed by the aliens somehow, cause River's exhibiting similar symptoms after seeing them. And Rory's looking like he'll get possessed next ep as well, so unless they make him preggers as well... :P

-The girl in the suit I'm willing to bet is River somehow.

I'm still piecing together my thoughts.

The scene where the Doctor was killed was a very effective WTF moment. The failed regeneration was really good.The scenes in the Oval Office were also pretty good. I can't shake the feeling like the Silence are a bit of a retread of what Moffat's brought us before, but I do think they were creepy and the way everyone forgets about them as soon as they go out of eyeshot was very effective.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to need to see part two before I can effectively judge this one.

Oh, and "Presented with limited commercial interruption" was BULLSHIT. There was a car ad every five minutes.

Like Dan said, I'm going to need to wait until I've seen part two to decide how I feel about the premiere. What I can say after the premiere, and this will probably be controversial, is that I don't think Moffat is as strong a writer running the show as he was during the RTD years.

The Doctor's death was a retread of him "dying" in "The Big Bang." While more effective, the false regeneration called back to the Series 4 finale. As has already been said, the Silence is a retread of the Angels, although the amnesia is a good twist. And while I liked it in the trailer, the continuation of "are cool" did grate on me when I watched the premiere. Now, there were certainly things I liked about the episode. I thought River's piece about her relationship with The Doctor, The Doctor continuing to make the relationship between Amy and Rory complicated, and the suspense of the Silence were all well done. The acting and production values were top notch as well. And I certainly don't suddenly hate Moffat as a writer. I just think that, after seeing this episode and bits here and there from the previous series, that Moffat goes back to the well too much.

I threw this out in the chat so I will here too

I think The Doctor is the babydaddy

If Amy really is pregnant, Moffat wouldn't do something that idiotic.

Maybe it's just because I'm watching a lot of Angel right now but I'm really not in the mood for the mystical/cosmic baby scenario. It's been done.

The more I'm thinking on it, I don't think Amy is really preggers. Why? The lady was really throwing back her wine at the beginning of the episode. No woman who knows she's pregnant would do that.

Also, why are we still talking in spoilers? The episode came out on both sides of the pond yesterday.

"Vincent and The Doctor," "The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang," and "A Christmas Carol" received Hugo Award nominations.

I think "Amy's Choice" got snubbed, although I don't know which nomination I'd swap it for. Out of the three, I think "Vincent and The Doctor" should take it.

According to TV By the Numbers, "The Impossible Astronaut", the first episode of the new season, was BBC America's highest-rated, most-watched telecast ever in the Live + Same Day category, reaching almost 1.3 million viewers, which was up by 71,000 viewers from the network's previous best, which was LAST season's opening episode of Doctor Who.

The news from the other side of the pond wasn't as positive, however. According to the BBC, the first episode in the UK was "watched by an average audience of 6.5 million viewers," which sounds pretty good until you realize that this "was down from the eight million recorded by overnight figures on Matt Smith's show debut in April 2010."

In fact:

While final consolidated viewing figures—which include playback on recording devices—will push ratings higher, "The Impossible Astronaut" is likely to be the least watched series opener since Doctor Who was relaunched in 2005.

http://blastr.com/2011/04/doctor-who-season-premier.php

Weird

It was a pretty warm day overall, so everyone was out enjoying the sun. I saw report on the figures, but what that fails to take into account is, it was still the most watched TV program that night.

I am however worried about the second half of the season. It's going to be airing at around the same time that X-Factor airs. And X-Factor here in the UK is a juggernaut; no one bothers to air anything except one of those celebrity dance shows while its on. Basically for 2 hours on a saturday night and one hour on a Sunday, the X-Factor is undisputed king of weekend evening TV from September till the Saturday before christmas.

Monopoly is about to have a Doctor Who makeover this summer, with Hasbro releasing a version of the long-lived board game dedicated to the Time Lord.

Listed by Forbidden Planet, the game is limited to 5000 copies, and will feature "all your favourite heroes, villains, monsters, planets and places."

It is due to be released on 1st August 2011.

monopoly.jpg