The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've said this before but I really hope the BBC don't try putting Doctor Who up against the UK X-Factor.

Here in the UK, X-Factor is an unbeatable juggernaut. It rules Saturday and Sunday nights; any show that it put on against doesn't have much chance of being watched. Last year the Beeb put Strictly Come Dancing (or something like it) on at the same time and its ratings sucked. It runs from... well now, till Christmas to ensure that the X-Factor winner takes the coveted Xmas number one slot.

As long as DW doesn't infringe on X-Factor's running time, everything will be fine. If it runs past 7pm, viewing figures will plummet like a stone.

I think they'll run Who at about 6PM so's to not time clash with X-Factor.

We can but hope. X-Factor's opening episode last Saturday got 12.6 million, which is apparently half of those who were watching TV that night. And it stays like that till the Final.

I just can't shake the feeling that this might be the real reason the BBC split the season.

I've said this before but I really hope the BBC don't try putting Doctor Who up against the UK X-Factor.

Here in the UK, X-Factor is an unbeatable juggernaut. It rules Saturday and Sunday nights; any show that it put on against doesn't have much chance of being watched. Last year the Beeb put Strictly Come Dancing (or something like it) on at the same time and its ratings sucked. It runs from... well now, till Christmas to ensure that the X-Factor winner takes the coveted Xmas number one slot.

As long as DW doesn't infringe on X-Factor's running time, everything will be fine. If it runs past 7pm, viewing figures will plummet like a stone.

I think they'll run Who at about 6PM so's to not time clash with X-Factor.

We can but hope. X-Factor's opening episode last Saturday got 12.6 million, which is apparently half of those who were watching TV that night. And it stays like that till the Final.

I just can't shake the feeling that this might be the real reason the BBC split the season.

That would be an asinine reason. The BBC is a public service broadcaster and it isn't in their interest to stoke huge ratings wars. That they tried to challenge the X Factor with Strictly Come Dancing last year drew lots of criticism from the media because ratings don't matter to the BBC as they don't have to worry about adverts.

The mid-season break is, until I hear otherwise from the cast or production crew, a creative decision.

That would be an asinine reason. The BBC is a public service broadcaster and it isn't in their interest to stoke huge ratings wars. That they tried to challenge the X Factor with Strictly Come Dancing last year drew lots of criticism from the media because ratings don't matter to the BBC as they don't have to worry about adverts.

The mid-season break is, until I hear otherwise from the cast or production crew, a creative decision.

Ian, although I agree with you about the mid-season break, I disagree about the ratings for one reason. The TV license. The BBC needs to have good solid ratings so that when people ask "Why do we pay so much money for the TV license" they can turn around and say "Well, millions of people watched Dr Who on Saturday, and our other shows like Gavin and Stacey etc."

Ian, although I agree with you about the mid-season break, I disagree about the ratings for one reason. The TV license. The BBC needs to have good solid ratings so that when people ask "Why do we pay so much money for the TV license" they can turn around and say "Well, millions of people watched Dr Who on Saturday, and our other shows like Gavin and Stacey etc."

I agree to an extent. I think that the TV license forces the BBC to have a bar it has to raise its game beyond. Ratings is definitely one indicator, but not the only one. The Day Today was one of the best things BBC2 have ever put out and helped to launch Alan Partridge, one of the established faces of modern BBC comedy. But there was only the one season. Ultimately, I don't think the BBC would risk putting such an important franchise up against the Cowell ratings juggernaut. At the end of the day, Doctor Who is still a niche sci-fi show, it just happens to be punching way above its weight.

I agree to an extent. I think that the TV license forces the BBC to have a bar it has to raise its game beyond. Ratings is definitely one indicator, but not the only one. The Day Today was one of the best things BBC2 have ever put out and helped to launch Alan Partridge, one of the established faces of modern BBC comedy. But there was only the one season. Ultimately, I don't think the BBC would risk putting such an important franchise up against the Cowell ratings juggernaut. At the end of the day, Doctor Who is still a niche sci-fi show, it just happens to be punching way above its weight.

I agree about that. That's why I've been saying I expect Dr Who to be on just before X-Factor.

Even with the overnight ratings, they would still need to take into account the iPlayer results, and the people who recorded the show to watch later, which will still play a serious factor in the shows ratings.

Alan Partridge analogy I can trump by responding that John Cleese only wanted 13 episodes of Fawlty Towers, and Father Ted only ran for three years, and Bottom didn't go much longer than that, Brasseye, and so many other examples could be brought up here. Just because a show has a short run, does not stop it from being memorable as being an influential comedy.

The rest of the British Media HATE the BBC and will seek out any and all excuses to show them in a bad light. And one of the Beeb's main weaknesses is the licence fee and the wages it pays people, especially the big name stars and its Directors. People (the public. MP's everyone) always want it reduced somehow. The BBC HAS to show it is giving value for money and producing shows that people want to watch, despite being given less money to do it all with.

They absolutely WOULD put Doctor Who up against X-Factor, in a heartbeat, if they thought it would help them generate a bigger profile.

That said, I think its more to do with budget that the season is split into two this year. Just as I think its to do with budget that we aren't getting a full season next year. They probably want to save money to make the 50th anniversary as big as possible.

I don't see how you're even partially right. Doctor Who finishes before X-Factor, so it isn't in direct competition at all. If anything, it's an acknowledgement that the Beeb aren't going to challenge the more mainstream ITV show - they're merely suggesting that Doctor Who acts as the lead-in show.

Yeah, it sure was a lot of fun, I really liked how creative they were with it all. Very satisfying. Bloody marvellous in fact. Not saying exactly where I'd place it but it's high on my ranking of modern episodes.

What he said - it's a very satisfying episode.

Yeah, it sure was a lot of fun, I really liked how creative they were with it all. Very satisfying. Bloody marvellous in fact. Not saying exactly where I'd place it but it's high on my ranking of modern episodes.

What he said - it's a very satisfying episode.

Yes, yes it was. Some cracking one liners throughout the episode.