The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok episode with a strong ending. More interested in next week.

You didn't add :teatime:

Anyway, I felt the opposite:

It felt like the Dr Who version of the Shining, in that it has such a great build up, and those last ten minutes just sort of tainted everything you just watched. Also, that was also in a 1980's style hotel.

I kept expecting David Walliams to be revealed as the person controlling the minotaur, it made so much sense. His race have outlasted so much, because they trick you into pretty much instilling fear in yourself. But he just went nowhere.

The Minotaur looked really cheesy too. Not good cheesy, cheap cheesy.

Overall, not a bad episode, just not very good either.

That was an interesting one. It felt like it was being weird for the sake of being weird, and while I was very into it for a while, about halfway through I looked at the timer and realized it still has 20 minutes to go, an thought, "Shit, how long is this going to take?"

While I had no advance warning that Amy and Rory were going to leave, as soon as I realized it was going to happen, I felt all right about it. I love the characters and doubt they'll come up with a companion team as strong again in the near future, but it's time.

Excellent episode.

I do have to say this, though. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that I'd dislike Amy this much by the end of it, I'd have been surprised.

The point that the Doctor made about the pedestal she's held him up on is something that's needed to be addressed for a hell of a long time, really. And really, bless Rory for having put up with it this long. Sad to see Rory leave. But Amy? At this point, she needed to go.

Plus, a fun general creepiness to the whole thing and an interesting point on faith/etc, if a little heavy on the atheist hammer.

Very much enjoyed this one. I liked how it started out as a regular albeit trippy Who adventure, and then gradually shifted the focus to The Doctor and larger aspects of the show.

If this was the last episode with Amy and Rory as regular companions, it was fitting to address Amy's idealized view of The Doctor and the "girl who waited" motif. I think there are elements of both Amy and Rory's characters that could have been executed better, but overall, I've really enjoyed their time as companions. Of course, they could still come back before the season ends.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. We continue on the path of what I feel is the Doctor getting back to who he was as opposed to The Conquering Hero path he's been on since I'd say 10. It kinda feels like a 7th Doctor story at times but the good ones.

BTW, am I the only one that was kinda hoping Rita would survive and stick around for awhile. Just saying, she seemed like she would have made a good companion.

BTW, am I the only one that was kinda hoping Rita would survive and stick around for awhile. Just saying, she seemed like she would have made a good companion.

No, you're not alone. I thought she was great and would have loved to have seen more of her. (Heyo!)

question, is it rory pond or rory williams? i know the doctor joked about in the big bang being pond but when the new series started we have yet to hear williams. so is it pond now?

It's still Rory Williams. If Amy wanted, she would go by Amy Williams, but as the Doctor knew her as Pond before, he probably can't be bothered shouting "Come on Williams!"

My housemates won't stop talking about the anti-feminist subtext of the last episode, all about the Doctor and Rory effectivly owning Amy. I pointed out that Amy is actually the more dominant personality to Rory, and they then pointed out that isn't actually any better, especially with the husband-beating references in the episode.

I think if you look hard enough you'll find anything you want to find. I also think those theories are bullshit.

question, is it rory pond or rory williams? i know the doctor joked about in the big bang being pond but when the new series started we have yet to hear williams. so is it pond now?

When The Doctor calls him Rory Pond, he's poking fun at him for bending to Amy so easily. He's emasculating him. However, in the most recent episode, he called Amy "Amy Williams" to show that she's grown up, to remind her that she's not only a married woman, but married to a brilliant, brave man.

I will say that the whole Rory-Amy-Doctor dynamic that theyve poked at in this season has made me a bit uncomfortable at times.

That and most of Amys characterization seems to have been based around women like babies! Women like marriage, and that's the only way you can get them to remember anything important! Women like bantering/lusting after men who are not their husbands!

I will say that the whole Rory-Amy-Doctor dynamic that theyve poked at in this season has made me a bit uncomfortable at times.

That and most of Amys characterization seems to have been based around women like babies! Women like marriage, and that's the only way you can get them to remember anything important! Women like bantering/lusting after men who are not their husbands!

I disagree with the babies comment, since the fact that she has one has barely been addressed come since episode 7 (which is actually a criticism of mine). And while The Doctor will probably always be an important person in her life, I think they've made it clear that Rory is the MOST important person in her life. And while most of the focus this past season has been on Amy and Rory as a married couple, I still think the independent Amy comes across. Am I saying that Amy's character was executed flawlessly? No, there are certainly aspects that could have been handled better. I just don't see her character as poorly handled to the degree that you do.