The Doctor Who thread

So I was thinking about series six the other day and looking at it in whole, it really struck me how much of it has paid significant attention to parents and their children (mostly fathers and sons):

Amy, Rory, and Melody

Captain Avery and Toby

Jimmy (and Ganger Jimmy) and his son

Alex and George

Craig and Stormageddon

Is it a thematic link to River Song's identity or is it hinting towards something else?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the over all theme of this season was family.Even The Doctor's Wife dealt with the relationship between the Doctor and The TARDIS. The only odd ball is the hotel episode. If it weren't for the fact that I'm sure it's never coming back to it, I'd guess that Madame Kovarian couod be Jenny but I highly doubt that. No, Kovarian is just going to be that amoral villain who just hates the Doctor for some insignificant reason.

I'm still thinking Madame Kovarian is The Rani. To that end, she seems to know how to build TARDIS-like technology (e.g. the apartment above Craig's place, the room in "The Impossible Astronaut"), she's a mad scientist, and she hates The Doctor. Also, if Moffat wanted to pull an RTD, the last four letters of her name are R-I-A-N.

I think the over all theme of this season was family.Even The Doctor's Wife dealt with the relationship between the Doctor and The TARDIS. The only odd ball is the hotel episode. If it weren't for the fact that I'm sure it's never coming back to it, I'd guess that Madame Kovarian couod be Jenny but I highly doubt that. No, Kovarian is just going to be that amoral villain who just hates the Doctor for some insignificant reason.

Family is also covered in the Hotel episode, as the doctor fear was that she was letting down her father. Which, is a fear most people can empathise with.

That, and you could add that The Doctor telling Amy and Rory to get on with their lives could be the idea of a parent letting a child fly away from the nest. When you grow up, you stop seeing your parents as the ultimate people, who know everything. You see them for what they truly are, flawed, but loving people. Which is the relationship that has grown between the Doctor and Amy. Now she is seeing The Doctor not as a father figure, but as an equal, and a friend.

You have to consider their age when they traveled with The Doctor, not when they were born. If that were the case, Zoe, Steven Taylor, Leela, Adric, Nyssa, and Captain Jack have yet to be born.

My bad. I meant that K9 was fresh out of the box when he started traveling with the Doctor so if you go off his activation date, then he's less than a minute old when he becomes a companion.