The Doctor Who thread

I liked the episode. Not one of the best but solid.

Glad the Doctor wasn't a Ganger and didn't mind that he was a Tesselector except for one thing. Why did the tesselector start to regenerate? Why?

The Doctor was in control, so he could have set it to do that. Or, with looking like The Doctor, it would also act like him and regenerate on command.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I liked the episode. Not one of the best but solid.

Glad the Doctor wasn't a Ganger and didn't mind that he was a Tesselector except for one thing. Why did the tesselector start to regenerate? Why?

The Doctor was in control, so he could have set it to do that. Or, with looking like The Doctor, it would also act like him and regenerate on command.

Actually, I can see it mimicking the effects of a regeneration. Just like it can mimic anyone. Yeah I can live with that explanation.

Oh god, that was so punny.

Slightly disappointed that the wedding was... so literal, but interested to see how the undercover Doctor will work.

That was... okay. I'm not feeling particularly awed by it, and I felt it was a bit too convenient in places, but it was pretty fun.

even better, we got to see why Kovarian was wearing an eyepatch. :)

However... why were no humans killing Silents (or whatever they're called considering Silence is the name of the Order) on sight like they were programmed to do?

They mentioned it in the episode, something to do with them being outside the timestream and stuff being different. I didn't exactly catch it but I know they gave a reason.

I thought that was a satisfying conclusion to series six. Not as slam bang as the finale to the previous series, but I thought it did a good job of tying up loose ends and setting the dominoes up for the future. Random thoughts:

The question was the obvious choice, but I didn't have a problem with it. How could it have been anything other than "Doctor who?"

I didn't have a problem with the wedding either, as they've been teasing it going either way and it's nice to have a resolution to it.

The death of The Brigadier (of Nicolas Courtney) being the event that caused The Doctor to send the letters was an emotional touch.

During the reveal of how The Doctor cheated death, the leaving solemn and re-entering with a grin was pure Doctor. Also, I loved the swerve from it supposedly being when The Doctor told River his name to him revealing that The Doctor was the Teselecta.

I loved the set up for the Eleventh Doctor's regeneration story, vague as it is.

Amy effectively killing Madame Kovarian was something I didn't expect. There's a lot of facets to it. What Kovarian did to her and her family, calling back to The Doctor turning his companions into weapons, and that this was an alternate Amy. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was glad that she remembered it though, and thought the scene with the Ponds was a good note to (almost) end on.

Really my biggest problem with it was the villains. The motivations are still so vague that it's hard to care about them, Madame Kovarian especially.

Kovarian will probably show up next series. I'd almost count on it.

Really, the Doctor has already given himself an out if he's asked the question, he just doesn't know it yet. He already established it last season. Rory being called Rory Pond. The Doctor marrying River. He can effectively, if asked, answer "Doctor Song."

By the way, I like the meta-text since is literally if the first question in history. Opening titles of An Unearthly Child.

It also suggests to me that when the Doctor is asked the question, River is going to be the one hearing the answer at Trenzalore. I'd say that River's chronology is going to twist a little bit more.

One thing that the Doctor taking a 200 year siesta is that until he regenerates, most of his activities are obscured. The Doctor shows up on Klum? It was during the 200 years. After all, he's "dead".

Watching that reminds me that River's whole story has been vastly accelerated, it should really cover 4-5 doctors overall to make sense. Granted that can't do that because the actress isn't going to look younger and younger, but they had an out with the regeneration thing. They could have had it so we saw that girl regenerate into River and then had the girl pop up as River in later episodes, but they ruled that out by the way they told this whole thing. The affection, her relationship with the Doctor, her supposed special significance, because they skipped through it all in basically 3 seasons of sporadic appearances it doesn't feel earned.

Plus it doesn't make sense that Rivers asking about the crash of the Byzantium. She knows Tennant was earlier than that. I'll accept that there's probably loads of stories we didn't see but little details like that mean this whole deal doesn't quite tie together properly.

Right, but at that point they're not on contrary directions time-wise, they're both moving forward presumably. Plus the faces thing still doesn't match up unless she meets with at least one more Doctor after this. Also doesn't match up unless she met Tennant at least once more.

Right, but at that point they're not on contrary directions time-wise, they're both moving forward presumably. Plus the faces thing still doesn't match up unless she meets with at least one more Doctor after this. Also doesn't match up unless she met Tennant at least once more.

Since she is a product of the Tardis, who's to say she is not using some of the same force that the Tardis uses, and she may be going through time properly, but whenever she goes through time, she is going to be linked to the Matt Smith Doctor, because that is who the Doctor was when she was born, so she has a sort of personal link to him.

When she stopped going through time, and dealing with the here and now, she was able to go through time properly, and being in a proper timeline, was how she was able to interact with the Tennant Doctor.

So, with that slightly confusing theory, River could be retconned in to be able to interact with the all the previous Doctors in one way or another, over the time stream.

Or:

River is a timelord, that means she can regenerate. We've only seen three of them, so who's to say that character in the background of random episodes of Dr Who over the past fifty years, is not River learning more about The Doctor. It could add an extra layer of "Is that person in the background in that scene River learning more about The Doctor." It's a route that they can go down, if they wanted to, which would deal with "Has River ever interacted with this Doctor" problem.

But we know her entire history now. She was born, escaped, regenerated in New York, grew up with Rory and Amy, regenerated into River, became a Doctor, killed the Doctor and went to prison for it. That stuff seems locked, there's no indication that she met the doctor at any point before she got into her present body. There's no scope for her to regenerate at any point.

But we know her entire history now. She was born, escaped, regenerated in New York.

Is it ever actually said, that this was her first regeneration? She could have lived for 400 years before she met the Doctor, we just do not know.

Guys, guys.

Wibbly wobbly. Timey wimey. It's okay. It's okay.

catbusiness.gif

Edit: Image contains flashing words.