Robocop

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does sound familiar, but I've never listened to the RoboCop commentary, so this is the first time I've heard him say it.

I think he talked about it on a making of as well. But yeah, means nothing to me. He used it as a jumping off point for an idea, and had to find a way to justify all the violence in the death scene.

It does sound familiar, but I've never listened to the RoboCop commentary, so this is the first time I've heard him say it.

I think he talked about it on a making of as well. But yeah, means nothing to me. He used it as a jumping off point for an idea, and had to find a way to justify all the violence in the death scene.

The unedited version of that scene and the ED 209 Intro do work better than the theatrical ones.

The unedited version of that scene and the ED 209 Intro do work better than the theatrical ones.

Yeah, and the person laughing when someone says "Get a medic" in the boardroom death scene.

Screaming Get a Medic after the guy had just been turned to chop meat is hilarious

Screaming Get a Medic after the guy had just been turned to chop meat is hilarious

It is in a dark way.

It's definitely there if you look for it. A selfless cop gets killed and resurrected, just like Jesus. And also just like Jesus, he then kills sinners in horribly nasty ways!

Seriously, I really thought this was common knowledge, Verhoeven has never hidden this information. If the scene wasn't so violent, then the resurrection would have meant nothing.

Anyway, has any one else been reading the RoboCop comic from Dynamite? It started so well, but it now after the third issue, I'm dropping the comic after the 1st arc, like RoboCop 3 they completely missed the point of the movie, and the fun of it, and it's dark humour.

• 1 year later...
Jose Padilha's reboot of RoboCop looks to have found its lead as Deadline reports that Joel Kinnaman ("The Killing," Snabba Cash) has been offered the role of Officer Alex Murphy (played in the original by Peter Weller).

UPDATE: Deadline is confirming their earlier report, saying that Kinnaman has accepted the deal and has closed his deal to play Alex Murphy in the Robocop remake for MGM.

A reboot of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven film, RoboCop will again tell the story of a police officer who, after nearly being killed in the line of duty, is rebuilt as a crime-fighting cyborg. The original film spawned two sequels and multiple television series spinoffs.

"I have my take on it," Padilha told ComingSoon.net late last year, "And I can tell you this: In the first 'RoboCop' when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?"

Recently, Gran Torino scribe Nick Schenk was brought about the project to rewrite. Production is still targeted for this summer.

You can show that sure, but I think you're still going to need to have actual Robocop for about half the film.

Pretty much. If the new director wants to hang the movie on turning a corpse into a robot, he's going to have a very dull, anatomical movie on his hands. The way in which the original film spent a 5 minute montage on the creation and then have Robocop gradually learn his origin was perfectly well done.

I'm not saying there ISN'T scope for that kind of re-telling, but I think if it comes off badly it'll be much like the Nightmare on Elm Street remake - ie/ an updated take on the original film which isn't nearly as good.

But of course, I wouldn't have thought there was much scope for the Rise of the Planet of the Apes to work and it did. The crucial difference being that the experiment in Apes was it's best character. Like you said Ian, the subject in this is basically a corpse.

From what I've heard, the reaction to RotPotA (a fun acronym!) has been split pretty evenly - half thinks it's a very solid prequel, half thinks it's utter bullshit with Frieda Pinto doing her best impression of cardboard. Either way, a re-telling of any film is either going to generally succeed or generally fail. The better received the original film/film series, the higher the bar the re-telling has to hurdle.

Huh, not sure where you heard the BS line on RotPotA from, it's critically done very well, and I thought it was way more than just solid.

I think trying to find fresh ways of approaching origin stories is always tough, which is why I think Amazing Spider-man will probably skip that for the most part.

• 3 months later...
Samuel L. Jackson has joined the cast of Jose Padilha's RoboCop, says a story at The Hollywood Reporter. He'll play Pat Novak, a powerful TV mogul opposite Joel Kinnaman's Alex Murphy and Gary Oldman's scientist named Norton.

A reboot of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven film, RoboCop will again tell the story of a police officer who, after nearly being killed in the line of duty, is rebuilt as a crime-fighting cyborg. The original film spawned two sequels and multiple television series spinoffs.

Jackson was recently seen on the big screen in Marvel's The Avengers as Nick Fury. Coming up, he'll re-team with Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained, set for release on Christmas Day.

RoboCop, meanwhile, is scheduled to hit theaters on August 9, 2013.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91086

Sounds like Hugh Laurie is going to play the head of OCP. This is going to be a weird movie.

This is what Hugh Laurie looked like when the original Robocop came out:

third_duel_396x222.jpg

Like Stavros, I'm a huge fan of the guy. But even so, that's a casting choice that I'd never have even thought of.

Sounds like Hugh Laurie is going to play the head of OCP. This is going to be a weird movie.

This is what Hugh Laurie looked like when the original Robocop came out:

third_duel_396x222.jpg

Like Stavros, I'm a huge fan of the guy. But even so, that's a casting choice that I'd never have even thought of.

Hugh Laurie AS Robocop. That'd be weirder.