28 Days Later

Don't know how spoilers work here, so if you have to warn people before spoiling stuff that's your warning. Go away.

Just got done watching this for the first time on DVD (saw it like 3 times in theaters). What's everyone think about it?

I love the first hour or so of it. Just some of those shots of empty London are amazing. And the whole idea of waking up to something like that is pretty damn freaky. But once they hit the house with the army guys, I don't want to say it gets bad, it's just not as awesome as the stuff before it. Between Frank getting killed and Jim coming back to the house the movie just seems to drag on forever.

All in all though a very awesome flick and it was in my top 5 movies of last year. Right behind Kill Bill, Freddy vs. Jason and Mystic River.

Much like From Dusk Till Dawn, the back half hardly seems to connect to the front, almost making it seem like two films. Despite that, I happen to love this film and watch it about once a month.

On a side note: As if on cue, whenever someone on TV says "infected," Jen and I say, "Infected with what?!" Of course, we use our best British accents.

See, I didn't like 28 days later for a couple of reasons:

1 - same directing group as did 'Trainspotting' and 'Shallow Grave'. This should have been better.

2 - The po-facedness of Danny Boyle repeatedly saying 'It's not a zombie movie. it has nothing in common with Zombie movies. This is a psychological horror story about humanity'. Bollocks. Sheer bollocks. It was a zombie movie. They just ran. That's ALL.

3 - Christopher Eccleston doing the worst acting I've ever seen him do, and he rocks, so that was a disappointment.

4 - Moral of the story? Zombies are bad, but not as bad as soldiers! Every soldier is a potential rapist!

And generally, needed to be better than any zombie movie made before, and it really wasn't. Luckily, the Dawn of the Dead remake blew it out of the water, as did Shawn of the Dead.

2 - The po-facedness of Danny Boyle repeatedly saying 'It's not a zombie movie. it has nothing in common with Zombie movies. This is a psychological horror story about humanity'. Bollocks. Sheer bollocks. It was a zombie movie. They just ran. That's ALL.

There's a large group of people who disagree with you. They claim it isn't a zombie picture because 01. they weren't dead (just infected), and 02. they ran.

There's a large group of people who disagree with you. They claim it isn't a zombie picture because 01. they weren't dead (just infected), and 02. they ran.

Yeah, but that large group are dicks.

Are they mindless? Do they want to kill me? Were they normal humans before? Can I become one of them if they succeed in attacking me? Then they're zombies. Lose the word 'infected' - that's just a story prop. It is, essentially, a zombie movie, and a conventional one at that, other than the running thing. And you know what? That's not a bad thing. There's been some great films and novels about zombies - I am Legend, although vampires, follows Zombie conventions more.

Also bear in mind, originally, zombies weren't dead - that came in with Zombie movies. Originally, they were mind-wiped slaves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you in that it is a zombie film.

Zombies weren't originally the living-dead?

The black magic of voodoo sorcerers allegedly consists of various poisons (perhaps that of the puffer fish) which immobilize a person for days, as well as hallucinogens administered upon revival. The result is a brain damaged creature used by the sorcerers as slaves, viz., the zombies.

Credit to skepdic.com. Dates back long before the more recent concept of Zombies, which was a kind of bastardisation of the vampire myth.

I love the movie, though I agree with Ace that it goes downhill a bit when the army guys make their first appearance. Despite this, it's still enjoyable throughout, just the first half is better. As for the "it's not a zombie movie" crowd... it is. While the infected aren't zombies per se, the whole feel and idea of a zombie movie is all over this film.

I HATED this movie. It's been about a year since I saw it so my memory might be a bit sketchy. I agree that the start of the movie was really good but somewhere around the grocery store scene it became ridiculous. The part with all the soldiers and what-not just seemed odd and wasn't really entertaining at all. I remember looking at the the girl I saw this with when it was finished and we said "what the fuck was that" at exactly the same time. Aside from the first twenty minutes or so this movie bored me out of my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the movie. I had never wanted to see it because I was told by a coulple of people that it was horrible. But then a friend of mine said it was great and him and I always agree on movies. So I saw it and loved it. But of course I always enjoy zombie movies. And it was a zombie. Its like saying Resident Evil is not about zombies. They were infected.

• 2 weeks later...