Prince of Persia

JackFetch

Hopes are high for the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time film, what with its heavyweight Hollywood backing (including producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Mike Newell of Donnie Brasco and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire fame) and because it's based on a game with a story that may actually be worth adapting. So it'll be interesting to see how this news reverberates in the howling gloom-pit that is the Internet: According to The Hollywood Reporter (via Joystiq), Jake Gyllenhaal has been cast as the titular Prince. And the Prince, apparently, has a real name now, to boot. Gyllenhaal will play Dastan, a prince in sixth-century Persia who joins forces with a princess named Tamina (presumably based on the character Farah from the Sands of Time game) to stop a "villainous nobleman" from using the power of the Sands of Time to rule the world. The Hollywood Reporter also revealed that Tamina will be played by Gemma Arterton, a relative newcomer who has a role in the upcoming Bond film Quantum of Solace.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167907

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't think Ben Kingsley realizes that he can afford to be picky.

Looks like your usual hollywood "giant set pieces with a paper thin plot and forced love story" bullshit you see every other month.

Trailer

I can't watch it because MySpace is blocked at work, but I haven't heard good things about it.

I actually think it looks pretty kickass.

It's got the best elements from each of the Prince of Persia games, and it's extremely fun-looking. It might not end up having the most awe-inspiring story, but it reminds me a lot of Pirates of the Caribbean, which is a good thing. Let's just hope that it's more like the first POTC, and not the other two.